Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Troutster  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 8:33:41 AM(UTC)
Troutster

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody knows the condition of streams around Fennimore... I know about Castle Rock and manure accident so I'm sure its out of the question.

On another note, streams around Madison have been effected by farming drastically, especially BEC. I've met few people from BEC watershed accociation and Greg Hyer president of BECWA. So basically, 80% of trout population has been killed due to increase of farming.I dont think they'll be able to fix this problem, as the valleys around Madison are much wider and bigger for farming. This is sad news for people like me who make regular day trips to driftless for a little solitude.

Thank you in advance,
ThumpUp
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 10:27:06 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Castle Rock should be fishable. I've spoken to several who have fished it recently and caught Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 12:56:10 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I caught fish on Castle Rock Creek just a month after the spill, so don't let that make you stop. lots of other creeks nearby, as well.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Cmac  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 4:53:25 PM(UTC)
Cmac

Fished Castle Rock below the " farm" on Q.....plenty of trout. Jim Rombeg of Flyfisherslair.com can point you in right direction. He's the best!!!!!
Troutster  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:16:34 AM(UTC)
Troutster

Thank you very much Gents!!!!!
Castle rock has been one of my favorites as it always rewarded with some giants. I am glad to hear that the accident didn't affect the stream. I'm sure I'll be stopping by this weekend.
George  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:06:47 AM(UTC)
George

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Black Earth Creek is in trouble but more due to suburban development than farming. The farming has always been an issue but agreements with DNR and easements have helped a lot. The suburban sprawl is the main issue. I remember when it was once considered world class and now it is dismal. I bet it will be a smallmouth fishery in 20 years................sad.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
George wrote:
Black Earth Creek is in trouble but more due to suburban development than farming. The farming has always been an issue but agreements with DNR and easements have helped a lot. The suburban sprawl is the main issue. I remember when it was once considered world class and now it is dismal. I bet it will be a smallmouth fishery in 20 years................sad.

This lengthy analysis by the Wisconsin DNR pretty much sums it up. Many cold water Trout streams in the Driftless Area are transitioning into warm water fisheries. Brook Trout will decline as Brown Trout and Bass flourish. There's a ton of useful information in this document, valuable to fishermen of all stripes. And you should read it. After all, your tax dollars paid for it.

There is probably little to be done to stop the changes occurring to our cold water resources, but much that can be done to slow it down and preserve some of it for future generations. Better stewardship of our resources by our governmental leaders would certainly help.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Jimbern  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 12:22:23 PM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

Back to Castle Rock:

Last weekend, I thought I would check out if reports of trout were true. I only spent about an hour on a mostly deep slow and wide shaded stretch with a few areas of pocket water. Got some chases on a streamer in the deep stuff, and a couple aborted hookups in the pocket water. Water temps were about 60. There be fish there.

Guillermo  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2016 2:53:23 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
George wrote:

This lengthy analysis by the Wisconsin DNR pretty much sums it up. Many cold water Trout streams in the Driftless Area are transitioning into warm water fisheries. Brook Trout will decline as Brown Trout and Bass flourish. There's a ton of useful information in this document, valuable to fishermen of all stripes. And you should read it. After all, your tax dollars paid for it.

There is probably little to be done to stop the changes occurring to our cold water resources, but much that can be done to slow it down and preserve some of it for future generations. Better stewardship of our resources by our governmental leaders would certainly help.

-Bill

I don't want to live a world without brook trout. Hope to God I'm not alive to see it. Time to clean house at the head of the WI DNR and Governor's office.

Edited by user Sunday, July 24, 2016 2:56:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tedwin183  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2016 4:10:10 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

What's it looking like after the rains the past couple of days? Heading up there on Wednesday morning.