Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 5:18:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
UserPostedImage

My buddy Dan stamped out a batch of Hippie Stomper foam in various colors and sizes for me. I'm stocked up and ready to start tying.

Now, if I can just find the time...

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
SquareEgg  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 9:31:08 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Holy cow ThumpUp

I pulled the trigger on the River Road foam cutters yesterday, size 12/14. But also came to the realization that I likely won't be touching them until November.
But please lend some insight- the foam, 1mm, 1.5mm, or 2mm? The video tutorial lists 2mm in the materials , but he states he is using 1.5 in the video itself. To me, 2mm seem like it would be far too bulky.
trapper  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 11:29:11 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
SquareEgg wrote:
Holy cow ThumpUp

I pulled the trigger on the River Road foam cutters yesterday, size 12/14. But also came to the realization that I likely won't be touching them until November.
But please lend some insight- the foam, 1mm, 1.5mm, or 2mm? The video tutorial lists 2mm in the materials , but he states he is using 1.5 in the video itself. To me, 2mm seem like it would be far too bulky.

Light foam and only a post
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:15:16 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

trapper wrote:
SquareEgg wrote:
Holy cow ThumpUp

Light foam and only a post

I found the 1mm foam to work much better for Hippie Stompers, especially for hook sizes smaller than 12. Alternatively, you can also use 2mm foam for the bottom, and 1mm for the cover (or top). The Hopper Store is an excellent online source for foam and other related products. I've found their foam to be of better quality for fly tying than the craft store stuff.

If you wish to add poly wings, choose your material carefully. Some materials soak up the water and will cause your Stomper to flip over when it gets wet. I've found that McFlylon Poly Yarn works well and doesn't seem to absorb or trap water as much. Of course, a little floatant will water-proof the poly also.

I've been scouring the intrawebs for 1mm (dark) purple 1mm foam without much luck. If anyone has a source for this, please let me know.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MikeJuran  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:19:01 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

William Schlafer wrote:

My buddy Dan stamped out a batch of Hippie Stomper foam in various colors and sizes for me. I'm stocked up and ready to start tying.

Now, if I can just find the time...

-Bill

Bill do you have a video you used or fly pattern of the internet you are using for the Hippie Stompers? I've got my hopper pattern down, but haven't attempted the Hippie's.

mj
Fly Me A River
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:40:57 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

MikeJuran wrote:
Bill do you have a video you used or fly pattern of the internet you are using for the Hippie Stompers?

There are a number of videos out there on the net of different variations of the Hippie Stomper. I like this one with a couple variations. It's pretty straight-forward and easy to tie. I like to put a couple of drops of head cement on the bound down part of the foam on the hook, to keep it from moving around.

You can add wing material, if you wish. I've tied some with a wide gap scud style hook, and made some that are chunkier with shorter legs to resemble Beetles or fat Ants. Red, Pink and Orange bellies all seem to work equally well. Although I would love to ties some in dark Purple, if I could find some 1mm foam. I had a day earlier this year when they seemed to keying on that color, for some reason.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Black and White Grizzly hackle looks and works better than the black stuff I used in the photos above. I've also noticed that some versions of Hippie Stompers "helicopter" or spins during casting, causing the leader to twist like crazy. I think it has something to do with the length and stiffness of the legs. Or it could just be my crappy casting techniques.

Most of my ties are pretty inconsistent, but they all seem to work just fine. Just like there's no wrong way to fish this pattern, there is almost no wrong way to tie it either. This pattern seems to work well from spring, when the bigger bugs start showing up on the water, right through the end of the season.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:43:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

MikeJuran  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:11:08 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

William Schlafer wrote:

There are a number of videos out there on the net of different variations of the Hippie Stomper. I like this one with a couple variations. It's pretty straight-forward and easy to tie. I like to put a couple of drops of head cement on the bound down part of the foam on the hook, to keep it from moving around.

-Bill

Thanks for the video link ..... i ordered a set of the beetle cutters from River Road. I have the Tomsu hopper set from them and was very pleased with it ..... been meaning to get a beetle set and if it works for Hippie Stompers then I am all for it.

mj
Fly Me A River