Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheDancingMan  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 10:43:48 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With this recent heat wave hovering over the upper Midwest, bushwhacking through some dense undergrowth on the trout streams would be a little too much work. Instead, I figured bass and carp would be a much more enjoyable pursuit. I decided to fish an unnamed beach on the St. Croix despite never fishing it before. With all the recent rain the beach I was fishing from was completely submerged. I was standing in waist deep water where the beach would normally begin in normal water levels.

I tied on a chartreuse and white clauser minnow and didn't take it off for the whole night. Standing waist deep I worked edges of a submerged forest. Immediately, white bass began slamming my fly, and let me tell you, they fight hard. I'd never caught one before and was really surprised how aggressive and fun they were on a fly rod. There was some type of insect hatching as well so the white bass and smallies were taking big gulps off the water. Seeing the surface activity really made it too easy. I just cast my clauser minnow right where they were feeding, gave a couple second countdown and started stripping and let the drag scream once I hooked a fish. All these fish were within 30 feet of the beach and water wasn't deeper than 4 feet.

Around the 8:45, as light really started to fade I noticed an incoming wake from some fish swimming close to shore. A quick cast towards their direction was rewarding with an aggressive bite. But unlike the bass which displayed some amazing acrobats while hooked, this one stayed down. But no freshwater fish can handle the drag on my Nautilus CCF-X2. As I brought it closer I saw a flash of white on its tail and some spooky, glowing eyes - a feisty walleye. I was blown away, I've caught plenty on spinning rods but never a fly rod. A woman who was walking her dogs was so blown away by this and thankful when I gave her the walleye to take home for dinner. The entire school of walleye swam past over the next thirty minutes and it was easy fishing. Just a great night on the St. Croix.

I do have pictures but it won't let me post them. I am probably doing it wrong.

Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 12:59:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:
I do have pictures but it won't let me post them. I am probably doing it wrong.

I thought Mark or Eddie had done a write-up on how to post photos to this forum, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. However, it's pretty simple.

You first need to upload your photos to a separate photo hosting website, such as PhotoBucket, PostImage, imgur, or any of dozens of other similar free sites on the web.

I would recommend resizing and cropping your photos before uploading them to this forum. Images are not automatically resized on the DTA website. I use an app called FastStone Image Viewer, which is free and works great. There are dozens of other options, including MS Paint, which is pre-installed on most Windows based PCs.

Resized photos to 1024 x 600 fits well on most screens and takes up less space on the hosting site. Once you've tweaked your photos, copy the image link from the hosting website and simply paste the link in your DTA posting. Most hosting sites have a separate hyperlink for forums.

The hyperlink should look something like this: [~img]https://s20.postimg.org/cle73gpst/DSCN1730_resize.jpg[/img] but without the tilde (~), which I put in to prevent it from actually displaying the photo in this example.

Or you could watch this YouTube video.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
TheDancingMan  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 1:08:18 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Pete  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 1:27:00 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Those look tasty.

As far as the white bass, they are a great fly rod fish. They get overlooked around here because most of us have easy access to trout and/or smallmouth. In other parts of the country, where trout and smallies are scarce, Texas and Oklahoma for example, white bass are more of a high priority target.
Josey Wales  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 2:29:38 PM(UTC)
Josey Wales

Awesome report! Thanks for the pictures as well ThumpUp ThumpUp
EddieRivard  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 4:03:12 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Now I am going to have to tie some white and chartreuse Clousers. Thanks for the great report. ThumpUp
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2016 8:47:10 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I've caught a few walleye incidentally with the fly rod.

I typically get a strange look from anyone when I tell them about how possible it is to catch anything from trout to carp to catfish with a fly rod since it's assumed it's all about what's on top of the water.

Sounds like a very cool experience!
TheDancingMan  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:56:12 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

And I caught a huge crappie last night on the St. Croix. It's like the size of a dinner plate.

UserPostedImage
DanE  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2016 8:53:41 AM(UTC)
DanE

That's the great part of fishing rivers, you never know what you are going to catch. Your experiences are very similar to mine when river fishing, bass etc. early, and then walleye right at dusk as they move shallow to feed.
Mark Dahlquist  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:04:39 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'll eat those walleye and crappie any day of the week over trout! Good job.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage