Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TedderX  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:06:04 PM(UTC)
TedderX

What are your favorite flies?

Why are they your favorites?

Post some pictures!!
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:23:38 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Carry these four flies in your fly box and catch fish all season long:

Crystal Bugger in Black for when the streams have some color, or when there are larger Trout lurking.
UserPostedImage

Black Elk Hair Caddis is one of the best hatches in the Driftless, but this pattern will work most of the season. Skating it across the surface can be deadly.
UserPostedImage

Pink Bellied Morrish Hopper is simply deadly. Once enough grasshoppers hit the water to get the Trout keying on them they will attack it with abandon. Toss it next to grassy banks and overhangs and keep a tight grip on your rod. Hopper fishing is the most fun all year.
UserPostedImage

Leave the Pink Squirrel out of your fly box at your own risk. The original Bethke pattern works the best. Besides producing fish all year long in almost any conditions and any water, it's most endearing feature is that there is simply no wrong way to fish it. Dead drift, twitch, run it though the riffles, sink it to the bottom of a pool, as a dropper in a hopper-dropper setup. I've even caught Trout dangling the thing over a high bank and jigging it up and down.
UserPostedImage

Honorable mentions:
Crane Fly (Daddy Long Legs) - I've caught a ton of fish this year with this pattern. May soon be my favorite fly.
UserPostedImage

Fricks Fix - what an awesome pattern. Terrific in faster water. Great movement and flash.
UserPostedImage

Hippy Stomper - dang thing just flat out catches fish in a wide variety of conditions.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
kschaefer3  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:23:45 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

TedderX wrote:
What are your favorite flies?

Why are they your favorites?

Post some pictures!!

Have you used the search feature on the board? I feel like this is the xxxth time we've done this. Either way:

Woolly bugger - olive, tied to my specs (schlappen and HEAVY). Because I catch fish all year long in every state I've ever fish with it. It will produce some nice fish too.

Size 18 comparadun bwo. Because rising fish in spring creeks rarely turn them down and they are easy to see for their size.

Harrops hair wing dun. Mostly just because I think it is an attractive fly. I tighten up my hackle because I like the look better.

I suppose a size 18 elk hair caddis should make the list. Because it catches fish when there are caddis around, and they are around all summer.

Mellow, search for it in other posts on here. Because it has a good bait fishy profile and catches fish. I use this when I want to fish a larger streamer, or suspect a biggun is around.
TreArrow  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:01:57 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Here's a thread I did a while back on my favorite patterns... http://www.driftlesstrou...le-Tested-DTA-Flies.aspx
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:43:31 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I'll try to take some pics of some of my more off the wall favorites, but:

Parachute Adams - PAs are to trout as Suicks are to muskies. Might not imitate anything in particular, but fish just eat 'em.

Pheasant tail nymph - Kind of the same as above.

(Adams and PTs are fly fishing's monuments to indecisiveness.)

Nymphs:
Lightning Bug - Great, flashy little Beatis nymph. Easy to tie even in a size 20, and a great attractor pattern. I fish these as the top fly on a two fly nymph rig, usually on a dropper above something darker and heaver as a point fly. (Caught the majority of the fish I caught yesterday on it actually.)

Rainbow Warrior - Another great little attractor.

$3 Dip - Fished as a trailer behind a bead head.

SOS nymph - Good point fly tied with a tungsten bead. Dark but a little flash, and easy to tie in small sizes.

Morris PMD - Just a homely brown mayfly nymph. Could just as well be a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear I suppose.

Split-back Beatis - Maybe my favorite nymph. Just a killer little pattern, either with a tungsten bead or without. Usually tie it in a BWO but can also tie it in PMD colors. Got turned on to this pattern in the Black Hills, where it's deadly, but seems to work just as well here. Getting the biots tied in right for the little wing pads can be a little fussy, but once you get the hang of it it's a pretty simple tie.

Barr's emerger - Good tied in either BWO or PMD colors, and great as either the top fly in a bead/dropper rig or below a dry. Last time I was out prior to yesterday, I fished a Barr's above a bead head nymph pretty much all day. Changed bottom flies half a dozen times but it could just as well have been a split shot. Think every fish came on the BE. Kind of a tricky one to tie though.

RS2: For some reason this fly is my Kryptonite when it comes to tying it, which is weird because it's fairly simple, but it works well enough to be worth it.

Sparkle Caddis Pupa - Kind of a pain to tie but they do work. Have started tying a Galloup variation of it that uses Ice Dub as the overbody that's a lot easier to tie. Haven't fished it much yet tho.

Dries:

Puterbaugh Caddis - Floats like a cork in rough water, easy to see, enough buoyancy to hang a caddis emerger off it, and you can tie it in any color you want more or less. Plus, a three minute tie...

Mugly Caddis - My favorite caddis. Can fish it wet on the swing, as a dry, or some of each. Looks horrid but it's a killer.

F-Fly/Student - Similar patterns, thread-bodied CDC wing dries. So simple they look stupid, but on slick water they're killer. Two minute flies too, which is nice. Don't feel so bad leaving one in a tree when you can crank out a dozen of them in half an hour.

Morris Emerger - Good floater, easy to see, and can tie it in sizes and colors to match about any mayfly. I think I said it in an earlier thread, but I tied some of these on a size 4 to try on smallies just goofing around, and they killed it.

Craven's Mole Fly - Goofy looking thing, but an awesome emerger. Another two minute fly.

Charlie Boy hopper - Another Craven creation. Fun one to tie - kind of like an art project in 3rd grade.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
TedderX  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 7:30:21 PM(UTC)
TedderX

You guys are lame.

My favorites are a black wooly worm, first fly I tied and a yellow wooly worm, first fly I caught a fish on. Both are proudly displayed on my vest.

Now that's a story.

Edited by user Friday, July 29, 2016 7:31:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

EddieRivard  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 8:38:54 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
TedderX wrote:
You guys are lame.

My favorites are a black wooly worm, first fly I tied and a yellow wooly worm, first fly I caught a fish on. Both are proudly displayed on my vest.

Now that's a story.

TedderX just earned himself a one month suspension. Anybody else want to insult DTA?

Edited by user Friday, July 29, 2016 8:39:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trapper  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 9:39:02 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Yes
Get Reel
shebs  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2016 10:22:21 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Lol that's what happens when you ask a question asked dozens of times and get shitty about the responses Razz

There is a search function hahaha
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
kschaefer3  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2016 11:02:25 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

shebs wrote:
Lol that's what happens when you ask a question asked dozens of times and get shitty about the responses Razz

There is a search function hahaha

LOL ThumpUp