Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Streams near Ontario, WI Options
tmhoff
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 12:59:28 AM

Hey all,

New member on the forum here, and also new to the world of trout fly fishing! While I am new to trout fishing, I have been using a fly rod for a variety of fish down in Texas. I am taking a trip in about a week with my father and brother to the Driftless area, specifically around Ontario. I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction of some great secluded streams. Just looking for some fish to catch, not chasing trophies, so any suggestion is welcome!

I have been using some Google Earth mapping and identified Timber Coulee Creek, W Fork of the Kickapoo River, and Weister Creek as some candidates. Please let me know if I'm looking in the right area. Thanks in advance for any help
lightningo2
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 2:17:05 AM

tmhoff you are definitely on the right track. Pretty much any stream in the entire Driftless area is a gem. If it has flowing water it will hold trout. Pick some more streams and go exploring. A 3wt or 4wt fly rod is all you will need! This time of year think grasshoppers, ants, beetles, and big bugs as the morning progresses.And most importantly Have Fun!. Stop by the Driftless Angler in Viroqua and talk to Mat. He will hook you up.
P.S. pick up some Hippy Stompers Smile
hougie
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 2:29:05 PM

I really like the entire stretch of the west fork of the Kickapoo near Lafarge. From Viroqua take 82 to county S. Either side of county S is good. Also some good spots near avalanche on S. Some of that section is artificial only catch and release I think. But basically from Reedstown or Viola all the way to the intersection of 82 and S is good to go! I recommend water sandles and long sleeve shirt and pants the newer guide series type wicking stuff you can get at gander mtn or Columbia brand to keep the bugs off and to navigate the high weeds. Its a jungle in that area and not for wimps. Wink
William Schlafer
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 5:29:39 PM

hougie wrote:
Its a jungle in that area and not for wimps.

I was out yesterday and there was lots of Wild Parsnip, Nettles and other nasty things. Despite wearing a long sleeve shirt, gloves and waders, I still got a irritating itchy rash from something I brushed up against. The Mosquitoes were really out in force after this last rain event. I recommend full clothing covering as much skin as possible. It can be a little warm, but necessary to fend off the overgrown and bugs this time of year.

The area streams however looked great. The rain has flushed out a lot of the stream bed weeds and knocked down the grass along the banks a bit. Water flows are good and the Trout are biting. Take a thermometer and check the water temp though. The stream I was on was hovering near 65 degrees. Much warmer than that can be fatal to Trout when caught.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
tmhoff
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:12:31 AM

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I will be heading out to the area on Wednesday and look forward to reporting my experience.
HookJaw
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 11:14:05 AM

Keep your eye on the radar tonight & on the rainfall totals Wed. morning. Storms possibly coming through after dark tonight.

Unless we really get hammered, this will only improve the fishing -- and fishing in the middle of the week is the BEST time around here.

Good luck - post your results!

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe