Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Estuary Trout. Options
rodreellurefish
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 10:10:09 AM

Thought I would share a short clip of a couple of estuary trout caught opening week in Tasmania.
Regards Clint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuK175nKE8
EddieRivard
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 1:48:32 PM

I only watched about three seconds of your video because I wasn't sure what an estuary was. I wonder if you joined this board as a way to promote your YouTube channel around the world. I hope not. As moderator of this establishment I will be keeping my eyes on you. In the meantime put another shrimp on the barby.
-Eddie
weiliwen
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:50:11 PM

Estuaries are the transitions between fresh and salt water - bays, typically, but also any part of the rivers that are still affected by tides. I grew up in Oregon, and my family had a cabin on the Nehalem River, in tidewater. I caught many sea-run cutthroat trout, still my favorite fish to go for, in that river, right off my dock, and lots more upriver. I only ever used three flies: The Spruce, Tied-Down Caddis Buck, and Muddler Minnow. I just didn't need anything else. And, of course, the same river had silver and chinook salmon in fall, and through the winter months, steelhead. I know that NZ has salmon running up their rivers as well, as I fished for them when I was there.
NBrevitz
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 5:14:51 PM

weiliwen wrote:
Estuaries are the transitions between fresh and salt water - bays, typically, but also any part of the rivers that are still affected by tides. I grew up in Oregon, and my family had a cabin on the Nehalem River, in tidewater. I caught many sea-run cutthroat trout, still my favorite fish to go for, in that river, right off my dock, and lots more upriver. I only ever used three flies: The Spruce, Tied-Down Caddis Buck, and Muddler Minnow. I just didn't need anything else. And, of course, the same river had silver and chinook salmon in fall, and through the winter months, steelhead. I know that NZ has salmon running up their rivers as well, as I fished for them when I was there.

I love the Nehalem system. A buddy and I were once fishing way up the system by Camp 18, in what turns out was closed to protect the spawning Coho. I hooked one of those Cohos on trout gear... It ended very predictably, but what a fight on 4lb test...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rodreellurefish
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 9:19:31 PM

EddieRivard wrote:
I only watched about three seconds of your video because I wasn't sure what an estuary was. I wonder if you joined this board as a way to promote your YouTube channel around the world. I hope not. As moderator of this establishment I will be keeping my eyes on you. In the meantime put another shrimp on the barby.
-Eddie

Sorry you feel that way Eddie. That's how I express my fishing through video. I wont bother posting again as it seems you don't like other people sharing there adventures.
Have a great day.
Regards Clinton.
EddieRivard
#6 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:11:01 AM

rodreellurefish wrote:
EddieRivard wrote:
-Eddie

Sorry you feel that way Eddie. That's how I express my fishing through video. I wont bother posting again as it seems you don't like other people sharing there adventures.
Have a great day.
Regards Clinton.

Tight Lines dog. I'm just trying to keep DTA free from spam. Your videos have nothing to do with Driftless Trout Angling. This forum is by Driftless Trout Anglers for Driftless Trout Anglers. Anything else is uncivilized.
weiliwen
#7 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:03:38 PM

I wonder if the rivers that enter the Great Lakes in Wisconsin, at least those parts that are very near, might be considered estuarine. I don't know if it makes a difference going from fresh water to fresh water, without any significant tidal movement. What do you think?
Pete
#8 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:15:21 PM

weiliwen wrote:
I wonder if the rivers that enter the Great Lakes in Wisconsin, at least those parts that are very near, might be considered estuarine. I don't know if it makes a difference going from fresh water to fresh water, without any significant tidal movement. What do you think?

The Mink River in Door County is considered to be estuarine, but its tidal fluctuations are wind-dependent. Going from fresh water to fresh water, as you said, probably doesn't make much difference to the salmon or steelhead; it's similar enough to entering any river in the Great Lakes or a harbor.