Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Where to buy used/discounted/clearance fly rods? Options
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#1 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:57:01 PM

I am in the market for a new fly rod and would like to know my options.

Please share some links to websites that have used fly fishing gear, discounted fly fishing gear and clearance rods.

Some that I have come across:
craigslist
DTA
steepandcheap
sierratradingpost
cabela's bargain cave
ebay
facebook groups

Thank you.
TheDancingMan
#2 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 4:16:31 PM

The Sage One is on clearance. The One 6 weight is the best 6 weight ever made, and it's discounted to $500.
“What's his offense?
Groping for trout in a peculiar river.”

Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
William Schlafer
#3 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 4:30:17 PM

Cabelas Bargain Cave often has great deals on serviceable fly rods. I have their Three Forks Fly Rod in both a 5W & 3W that I picked up dirt cheap. They both performs as well as my more expensive rods. Cabelas often deeply discounts their own brand name fishing gear.

I know there area a couple of guys on DTA that build fly rods. They could build you a custom rod, per your specs and wants. If you posted what you might be interested in, there may be members here who are looking to part with their extra spare rods.

If you're looking for a high-end rod, I believe The Fly Fishers shop in West Allis occasionally brokers used rods that folks are selling. I think Orvis sometimes has used equipment too.

Good luck,
-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#4 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 7:15:40 PM

Dancingman---Thank you! I've been bouncing with the Sage One for a while since the clearance. This rod would be as resort to rod if I cannot find another deal anywhere.

William--- Thank you! The Three Forks sounds like a deal. I have a 6wt, but the swing is heavy and I would like something lighter. I may just consider one as a backup rod for sure. I don't want a custom rod although I may consider one in the future. The Fly Fisher's shop is the one I've been browsing online and on Ebay. Definitely good prices.

Thank you both for your input.
Fishbag
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:49:14 AM

Bill, thanks for that link to Cabela's. Just bought a new 8 wt rod and reel setup for less than $70. Can't wait to fish the run this Fall and Spring!
William Schlafer
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:17:32 PM

Fishbag wrote:
Bill, thanks for that link to Cabela's. Just bought a new 8 wt rod and reel setup for less than $70. Can't wait to fish the run this Fall and Spring!

Cabelas has great deals. I picked up a 3W Three Forks rod at the Bargain Cave for about $30 (open stock - returned) and it compares quite well to my Echo Carbon. Even at regular price of $60-$70, it's a bargain.

Elitists might pooh-pooh such cheap rods, but for the bush-whacking small stream fishing you'll find in most of the DA, it does just fine. Right tool for the job, and saves yourself money for better boots, waders, gas, food, etc...

If Cabelas sells to Bass Pro Shops (as predicted by Wall Street wags) expect a fire sale of all their branded stock.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
TreArrow
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:37:01 PM

I've bought a few off ebay and gotten good deals but you need to know what you're looking for. http://www.theclymb.com/ has flyrods from time to time on clearence and I've picked up 1 or 2 there as well.
kschaefer3
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:53:08 PM

Search forums. People regularly post fly rods for sale on forums. Depends on what type of rod you are looking for though.
DanE
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:21:45 PM

I know you have it on your list, but e-bay has been good to me for new rods. I bought 2 new rods off there back in February for about 1/2 price. Lots of fly shops list the discontinued models on there, like the Sage Response I got.
EddieRivard
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:22:56 PM

Keep a running list of every fly fisherman in your area. Cross check that list every morning with the obituary section of the paper. When a guy dies go and offer his widow pennies on the dollar for his useless gear. Drool