Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI_Fisher  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 2:20:35 PM(UTC)
WI_Fisher

So I need a little help. I just bought a Sage 3250 5-6wt reel and am looking for a good rod to put it on. my budget is 350-400 dollars. I currently have a redington path and redington drift reel but wanted to get something a little nicer as a treat for myself. I mostly fish for trout but also fish for the occasional bass and pan fish. Thanks for any help and info you can give me.
Sponsor
TheDancingMan  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 6:42:22 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Buy a 5 or 6 weight Sage One on closeout. Should still be some around.
lightningo2  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:30:49 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
St. Croix Legend Ultra or Elite is a very nice rod with a great warranty. just something to think about.

Edited by user Monday, August 29, 2016 7:31:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trapper  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:48:06 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Save your money and get the four weight Echo Base at $89 full retail.
That rod rock's the Driftless, ,just sayin. ..
Get Reel
lightningo2  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 7:54:38 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
trapper wrote:
Save your money and get the four weight Echo Base at $89 full retail.
That rod rock's the Driftless, ,just sayin. ..

ThumpUp ThumpUp
West Branch  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 8:27:10 PM(UTC)
West Branch

St. Croix makes some really nice rods. I've accumulated five of them sort of by accident. When I was looking for a long 5wt rod, for example, I tried a few and liked the St. Croix better than some more expensive rods. The same thing happened with some of the others. The St. Croix rods felt better to me than the competitors.

Go rod shopping someplace where there are several choices in the line weight you want. A good fly shop will let you try out a rod that costs hundreds of dollars. Take your own reel and line to make sure things balance nicely and cast rods 'til you find the one that suits you best. What works for me might not suit your casting style, so try not to be swayed too much by brand name. You may be surprised at what works best for you.

My usual fishing partner has been fly fishing for 40 years and has gone through a bunch of pricey rods, some of which he still has. He tried a short Okuma 4 or 5wt at the local sports store that was well under $100 and really liked it. That rod became his favorite for Driftless spring creeks in spite of the fact that he usually has a couple of fancier rods in the car as backup. He's busted two of those cheap Okuma rods and has bought a third one, which he uses about 80 percent of the time, except on the biggest water in the Iowa Driftless.

This, I guess, is my long winded way of saying that if you're going to spend hundreds of dollars for a nice rod, try before you buy. You can surprise yourself sometimes.

EddieRivard  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:06:03 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
WI_Fisher wrote:
I mostly fish for trout but also fish for the occasional bass and pan fish.

When I read this line it led me to believe that you are looking for one rod that you could use for trout, bass and panfish. While there are five weight rods that can used to present something as small as a dry fly and as big as a Bass Bug I think you would be better off buying two rods. You need a three weight and a seven weight son!

You will have great joy casting dry flies for small trout and panfish on your three weight setup. When you decide it's time to go after the big trout and bass you will then whip out old number seven and unleash a torrent of destruction.

That being said there are some days on certain streams where I can't decide how I will fish that day. A while back I picked up the 5 weight version of the Saint Croix Bankrobber rod. I was lucky to find it for half off. Actually it was 40% percent off and I told the guy I'd pull the trigger if it was 50% off. I was surprised when he immediately made that happen.

With a minor tippet change I can present a dry fly convincingly with that rod and ten minutes later I can be tossing around articulated streamers and heavy buggers with ease.

Some days I am in the mood for a shorter rod that "does it all" and on those days I reach for my Cabelas TQR 5 weight. It's a joy at 7.5 feet of pure trout pumping power. They make those in shorter lengths and smaller weights as well. I recently saw them on sale for something like 79 bucks. I think I paid 125 for mine but after casting it I felt like it was a decent deal.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:07:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WI_Fisher  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:04:24 PM(UTC)
WI_Fisher

EddieRivard wrote:
WI_Fisher wrote:

I think you would be better off buying two rods. You need a three weight and a seven weight son!

Ya that's kinda what I was worried about. lol shortly after I bought the reel and got rid of the receipt I started wondering if I should've bought it for a different wt rod and just buy another setup Well I guess I'll just toss this reel on the 5wt I do have and buy a 3wt. Oh well looks like either way I'm getting a new rod lol. This is probably going to be a dumb question but if im used to a med action rod would it be weird going to a fast action one? Would a fast action be bad or hard to use on a river that is about as wide as a 2 way street? when on the river I mostly nymph.

Thanks for the help

Edited by user Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:10:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OTC_MN  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:04:24 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
WI_Fisher wrote:
EddieRivard wrote:
WI_Fisher wrote:

I think you would be better off buying two rods. You need a three weight and a seven weight son!

Ya that's kinda what I was worried about. lol shortly after I bought the reel and got rid of the receipt I started wondering if I should've bought it for a different wt rod and just buy another setup Well I guess I'll just toss this reel on the 5wt I do have and buy a 3wt. Oh well looks like either way I'm getting a new rod lol. This is probably going to be a dumb question but if im used to a med action rod would it be weird going to a fast action one? Would a fast action be bad or hard to use on a river that is about as wide as a 2 way street? when on the river I mostly nymph.

Thanks for the help

Question: How many rods do you need?

Answer: One more.

Getting two eventually is sound advice. A 3 and a 7 is a pretty solid option, although personally I prefer 4s to 3s.

As far as going from mod or mod-fast to fast, I like mod-fast, especially throwing nymphs in tandem or with an indicator, or a hopper-dropper, etc. A little easier, to me anyhow, to open up your loop when you're throwing some kind of contraption, so you aren't picking apart a leaderball all the time. They're just a little more versatile to me. I think fast rods can reward a good caster and challenge an average one, and I'm decidedly average, so it's what I prefer personally. Your mileage may vary.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
EddieRivard  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:35:59 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
OTC_MN wrote:
Getting two eventually is sound advice. A 3 and a 7 is a pretty solid option, although personally I prefer 4s to 3s.

The more I think about this I guess if I was going to have to choose between having a four or a three I would probably choose a four based on a versatility standpoint.