Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DonnieDahl  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:34:15 AM(UTC)
DonnieDahl

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here. This is a question rather than report, so if the Admin feels the need to move it, please do so.

Me and a couple guys are looking at floating the Root this Saturday. We narrowed down the search to the section of the Root between Carimona and Preston. We picked this section due to the lack of easements (since we'll be floating anyways) and we want to be away from the weekend crowds.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this section as to the fishing and time to float it? I've only floated the Root between Haron Road and Grit Road before.

We are all fly guys looking for good hopper/dry fly water but are bringing the necessary driftless nymphs as well.

Sponsor
AKinMN  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:27:35 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It's a good section, do it. With that said, that area got just pounded with rain last week. There were tress floating down the river in Preston so watch out for downed trees. With that said, there's plenty of water in the stream.
DonnieDahl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:11:34 PM(UTC)
DonnieDahl

Thank you! I talked to Vaughn with the Lanesboro fisheries office today looking for any survey data for that section which they did not have. He mentioned that not all bridges are necessarily public. The only instance I can think of that being true is if someone's driveway or part of their land had a small bridge. Am I missing something here? Our plan was to launch at the hwy 12 bridge but we don't want to do it unlawfully or trespass.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:12:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:53:31 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
DonnieDahl wrote:
Thank you! I talked to Vaughn with the Lanesboro fisheries office today looking for any survey data for that section which they did not have. He mentioned that not all bridges are necessarily public. The only instance I can think of that being true is if someone's driveway or part of their land had a small bridge. Am I missing something here? Our plan was to launch at the hwy 12 bridge but we don't want to do it unlawfully or trespass.

You'll be fine there. Just don't beach your boat and go traipsing in someone's cow pasture and you'll have no trouble.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
DonnieDahl  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:10:12 AM(UTC)
DonnieDahl

Thanks! I believe we met last year at the Lanesboro Fiddle Fest when our crew was camping. Hope that Brule map has come in handy.
DonnieDahl  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:57:20 PM(UTC)
DonnieDahl

Ended up floating from the big barn down to Grit Road. Some nice rainbows and browns, a few chubs were hungry too. Streamers were the ticket with the higher than average flow.

Here's a short video of the day.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH62VrhKwAY
MN Driftless  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:12:30 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are quite a few sections of the Root that are worth floating. Time of year is the biggest part, especially if you're looking to target bigger trout.