Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Family Day Options
Pete
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 03, 2016 10:42:47 PM

My daughter and I attended SE Wisconsin TU's Family Day event today at Paradise Springs. It was encouraging to see such a good turnout: lots of kids and parents; it was well-staffed by chapter members and they displayed infinite patience with all the young kids.

You didn't have to be a child to enjoy it either. I think all of us learned from the kick netting survey, seeing the caddis larvae, scuds, leeches and sculpins. Building a "stream" with a box, sand, rocks and water was informative too (thanks Boyd). I think everyone's favorite had to be Ben Heussner's electro shocking. A couple of nice brook trout in a short section of stream that probably wasn't anymore than knee-deep; that's what outside bends and undercuts will do.

Hats off to the SE Wisconsin chapter, especially Henry. They're a very active group (I've personally benefitted from some of their stream restoration).
weiliwen
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2016 3:06:27 PM

What does the pond there look like now? I heard it's beginning to fill up again after the dam blew out last year. Any of those big brookies to be seen?
Pete
#3 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2016 7:50:50 PM

weiliwen wrote:
What does the pond there look like now? I heard it's beginning to fill up again after the dam blew out last year. Any of those big brookies to be seen?

Ther was some discussion of that; I should've mentioned it in my original post. I didn't see the pond after the dam failure, but it's hard to believe it's filling in: it's really low, a trickle compared to what it used to be. Water is still escaping under the dam at the point of the failure. No fish spotted above the dam, except for a couple in the spring house. Supposedly there are both the political will and funding to repair the dam and it will happen soon. That shocked me to hear how simple it looks. Paradise Springs Pond is important as a handicap-accessible site, so that accounts for much of the willingness to restore it.