Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 6:52:11 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
There was a thread a while back where someone commented about how some brook trout are super dark and have almost purple bellies...and I made a note to plan a trip up to the north shore. I used the holiday weekend to make it happen.

Some of the photos are slightly out of focus...still trying to figure out the new phone and its terrible auto focus, sorry lol

Beautiful fish, but mostly, they're tiny.
UserPostedImage

This is a big one for this tiny stream!
UserPostedImage

Amazing scenery, amazing fish.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sometimes you go looking for small streams listed on the DNR maps, and google tells you to take this road...
UserPostedImage

And you find another way there.
UserPostedImage

Monday morning it was pouring, so I bailed early, but managed to find a nice stream on the way home.
UserPostedImage

Definitely put on some miles this weekend, and my poor car is now half blue and half red-clay-dirt-road-mud, but it was worth it.

Edited by user Monday, September 5, 2016 7:00:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Sponsor
West Branch  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 8:59:20 PM(UTC)
West Branch

The north shore is definitely a different world. Thanks for posting some shots of the beautiful scenery along with those nice little brookies. It's been many years since I've been up that way. Maybe next summer a little road trip would be in order.
donjuan  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 10:52:02 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Wow those are some awesome fish. Very cool trip. Never really explored that area at all
Guillermo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 1:23:25 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Great fish, and the scenery is unbelievable.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:49:49 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gorgeous looking Trout Shebs!

I have a brother who lives in Duluth, and every trip up there I'm amazed at the scenery, geology, and amazing looking lakes, rivers and streams. Love those rust colored rock bluffs.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
catbag  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:45:55 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I love that area - but it seems like totally different fishing than what I am used to and I never seem to have as good of luck as you did. Great looking fish!
shebs  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:59:39 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
West Branch wrote:
The north shore is definitely a different world. Thanks for posting some shots of the beautiful scenery along with those nice little brookies. It's been many years since I've been up that way. Maybe next summer a little road trip would be in order.

donjuan wrote:
Wow those are some awesome fish. Very cool trip. Never really explored that area at all

catbag wrote:
I love that area - but it seems like totally different fishing than what I am used to and I never seem to have as good of luck as you did. Great looking fish!

I recommend it very highly.

It seems to me the further up the shore you go, the better the fishing gets. Lots of the streams up there are so tiny as to be unfishable, but if you put in the time, you'll find some gems. I also had some recon from Brevitz and Dullyouth, so I can't take all the credit for my success Razz

Edited by user Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:04:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:33:52 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
catbag wrote:

The first few times I went up there, I completely got my ass kicked... Get north of Two Harbors, there are good streams near Duluth but they get pressured to a much greater degree. Once you crack the code, you'll want to go up every weekend
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
lightningo2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:37:55 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great Job Shebs! I am one jealous S.O.B right now. I haven't done much fishing due to being a new daddy.
catbag  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:13:45 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
catbag wrote:

The first few times I went up there, I completely got my ass kicked... Get north of Two Harbors, there are good streams near Duluth but they get pressured to a much greater degree. Once you crack the code, you'll want to go up every weekend

Appreciate the advice, I'll have to take another whack at it this fall!