Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI_Fisher  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 5:55:28 AM(UTC)
WI_Fisher

OK so I've been trying to learn how to nymph without using an indicator but I'm having trouble. From what I've read I should be able to feel the fly bouncing on the bottom then when you feel a bite or it stop bouncing you set the hook. My problem is I don't feel it bouncing the bottom. I've been using an airflo polyleader with about 3feet of tippet and a split shot. Do any of you fish without an indicator and if so do you have any other tips that might help

Edited by user Monday, September 12, 2016 5:56:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 6:09:59 AM(UTC)
DanE

I watch the tip of the line if I am fishing without an indicator. I know that I miss more fish that way though, and only do it when the fish are extra spooky. I usually try and do a dry/hopper and dropper combo in those situations. Otherwise I fish a small bugger with a nymph dropper and still catch fish on the dropper even when stripping the bugger.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 7:00:02 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I gave up on indicators and multi-fly rigs awhile ago and simply try to tight line to detect the strike.

As Dan mentioned, watch the knot where your fly line attaches to your leader. Sometimes you'll get just the slightest of twitches, which may or may not be a fish. Even with an indicator, often the take is so light you may not see it until the fish has had a chance to spit the hook. Any odd movement by the fly line should be considered a strike, even though it may just be a snag or the fly bumping a rock.

I've also tried tying a short length of colored Amnesia mono to act as a strike indicator between the leader and the fly line. This works well if you are using a tippet ring or a furled leader setup. Make sure you use bright red or orange though. The green tends not to contrast enough with the water to be easily seen.

My sense of touch is much better than my eyesight, so I strip the line to keep some tension and feel for the take. I'm sure this costs me a few strikes, but probably no more than average. Nymphing can be frustrating that way. If you do it enough, you get a feel for what is the bottom, a weed, a rock and a fish.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
West Branch  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 8:03:04 AM(UTC)
West Branch

Only rarely do I fish upstream without an indicator--usually in shallow runs where I can actually see the take or when fish are going after nymphs near the surface. Some guys are a lot better at keeping a tight line on a nymph and feeling the subtle take than I am, but that may require more intensity than I can bring to bear on the situation. Even with an indicator it seems that a good bit of the time I'm missing the signs that a fish has my nymph in it's mouth.

Maybe fishing deep without an indicator is a skill I should work on since fussing with the indicator and casting the awkward combination of nymph, split shot, indicator can be a source of aggravation in close quarters where there are already enough things to tangle your line. My casting skills are really pretty good, but don't really rise to the level of "art." Things get easier if I'm fishing a tight line downstream and can feel every nudge. Fishing downstream only works well in select places and I tend to pull the hook away from, rather than into, the fish's mouth, so I'm not all that successful doing that, even though I've caught some very nice fish that way.

Yesterday I fished a small coulee stream where most of the fish were concentrated in deep, slow pools. Without an indicator I doubt I would have felt most of the takes, many of which were barely detectable even with an orange ball to watch. I'm pretty certain that without the indicator I'd have been close to getting skunked. Luckily for me, late in the afternoon a few trout started rising and an elk hair caddis fooled a fish or two.

Edited by user Monday, September 12, 2016 12:13:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vmthtr in Green Bay  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 2:06:13 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I started off without an indicator and now never fish without one. These are inline with your leader and cause no hinging in your leader when you cast. A flat toothpick jammed in and then broken off even keeps them in place. UserPostedImage
jfinn  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 4:51:56 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
I gave up on indicators and multi-fly rigs awhile ago and simply try to tight line to detect the strike.

As Dan mentioned, watch the knot where your fly line attaches to your leader. Sometimes you'll get just the slightest of twitches, which may or may not be a fish. Even with an indicator, often the take is so light you may not see it until the fish has had a chance to spit the hook. Any odd movement by the fly line should be considered a strike, even though it may just be a snag or the fly bumping a rock.

I've also tried tying a short length of colored Amnesia mono to act as a strike indicator between the leader and the fly line. This works well if you are using a tippet ring or a furled leader setup. Make sure you use bright red or orange though. The green tends not to contrast enough with the water to be easily seen.

My sense of touch is much better than my eyesight, so I strip the line to keep some tension and feel for the take. I'm sure this costs me a few strikes, but probably no more than average. Nymphing can be frustrating that way. If you do it enough, you get a feel for what is the bottom, a weed, a rock and a fish.

-Bill

I agree with having better feel then sight, I will tight line nymph over with an indicator whenever possible I bought Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel and after read it a few times I started to put sighters in my leaders when make them and it helps as a visual aid.
AKinMN  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 5:29:06 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
While this might be taking the thread in a different direction, curious if anyone has or does use a slinky indicator?
jfinn  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 7:51:14 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
AKinMN wrote:
While this might be taking the thread in a different direction, curious if anyone has or does use a slinky indicator?

I have a few was all excited to use it last season when I picked it up but I didn't like it after a couple outings if you switch flies the weight can become an issue I had a double tungsten hares ear and it was enough to cause it to uncoil, but I needed the weight to get the fly down.
fishplank  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 6:00:15 AM(UTC)
fishplank

I make a nymph leader with 12lb gold Stren for the butt section, 3 feet 3x flouro, and then about 2 ft of 5x. On the bottom fly I leave a 6 in tag with a small knot on the end to hold just enough split shot on to keep me on the bottom. I use a dropper knot with about 6 inches of 5x to attach another fly, usually an emerger at the knot between the 3x and 5x on the leader. None of my flies are weighted. I use a high stick/tight line technique.

Edited by user Monday, September 26, 2016 6:02:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified