Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AutobotTrainer  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 2:59:03 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Where my Iowa people at? The weather has been ridiculously gorgeous these last two weekends, but I've been working. I am dying to get out to catch some trout...anyone got some recent NE Iowa stream reports? Allamakee and Clayton counties have had some serious rain lately, I want to know where to go if I can get away.
No thing created by man is infallible.
Sponsor
Cox Creek  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 6:47:52 PM(UTC)
Cox Creek

Camped at Yellow River Forest last weekend. Little Paint, Paint, Bloody Run, Hickory, Buck and Sny McGill were all chocolate milk. NE Iowa has had so much rain this year that the ground is saturated. Little Paint was starting to clear up Sunday. If we don't have any rain this week you might be good this weekend, but any measurable rain will run off instantly. Good luck and post your report.
West Branch  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 5:57:52 AM(UTC)
West Branch

Last Sunday and Wednesday I got permission to fish a couple of streams in Jackson and Dubuque counties. The water was high and murky, especially last Wednesday, as there were some localized heavy rains the day before. I haven't fished the northern counties for awhile. It seems like every time I'm ready to make the drive, more rain shows up.

You're not that far from Spring Branch, and as long as you're there, the upper Maquoketa isn't that much farther. I've had some banner days both places this year. As usual, a bit of walking helps. South of Joy Springs may have a decent fish or two, best accessed from the second bridge. I've run into blanket hatches of ephoron leukon may flies on overcast afternoons up there, but if the white flies hatched during daylight hours this year, I missed them.

Rain is forecast this week, along with low barometric pressure. It should be a decent week to fish, but I'm over-committed. If you get out, we need the full report.
AutobotTrainer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:00:57 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Thanks for the report gang. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is going to get better...

UserPostedImage
AutobotTrainer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:03:06 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Cox Creek wrote:
...Little Paint, Paint, Bloody Run, Hickory, Buck and Sny McGill were all chocolate milk...

Damn it...you named some of my favorites. Maybe I'll just stay in Cedar Rapids and fish the warm water.
donjuan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:35:44 PM(UTC)
donjuan

I had some great fishing in Iowa about a month ago; I fished both a few days before and a few days after the massive downpour and flooding the last week of August. It was really cool to see the before-and-after in such a short window. Some streams clear much faster than others - obviously depends on a variety of factors but as soon as its just clear enough to fish, I absolutely love that day or two when the fish are crazy aggressive. We caught a lot of good sized fish with bulging stomachs.

It's that time of year when I'd love to start fishing some of the larger rivers, but its going to be 2-3 weeks (that's IF things calm down) before that's feasible in the spots I am thinking of.
West Branch  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:36:48 AM(UTC)
West Branch

Has anyone been out to inspect the damage?