Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chenhyperborea  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:50:13 PM(UTC)
chenhyperborea

My wife and I recently returned from a fly fishing trip to CA where we fished at an elevation of about 8,000 ft in the Sierra Nevada range of Sequoia National Park. It was all high sticking dry flies into very small runs and pocket water. We had the good fortune of catching an abundant number of Brookies, Rainbows and Golden / Rainbow hybrids - no pure strain Golden were caught however. Breathtaking scenic backdrops treated us every day regardless if we were fishing the canyon stretch or the meadow area. What these trout lacked in size they more than made up for it in beauty!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:52:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done."
Charles F. Orvis, 1886
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:07:27 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Very nice,thanks for sharing?
Get Reel
West Branch  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:34:38 AM(UTC)
West Branch

What a beautiful place. Fishing tiny streams isn't everyone's cup of tea, but those of us who fish the Driftless understand the wonder of finding fish in small waters that some might dismiss as "not worth the trouble."

Thanks for the pictures. Makes me want to head for the High Sierra.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 11:55:19 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Really gorgeous pictures. I'd love to fish there someday. I didn't know that Rainbow and Golden Trout cross-breed. Very pretty fish. What fly patterns were you using?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
AKinMN  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 2:58:06 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Looks amazing and kinda like an Orvis adLaugh
lightningo2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:14:10 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Chenhyperborea,

I have been California Dreamin for several years!!! Thanks for sharing! This is my number 1 bucket list item!. Hopefully next year my dream will come true.
Trouts  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:28:39 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great pics. I have always wanted to catch a golden.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
chenhyperborea  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:37:08 PM(UTC)
chenhyperborea

Thanks guys .... I guide here in Minnesota for a Orvis endorsed guide and the shop in an Orvis authorized dealer so we do look like a walking advertisement :-) It was a great trip. It was all dry fly action and what we used was like a big Caddis looking stimulater pattern. They fish were EXTREMELY spooky so presentation was the name of the game. My wife and I take a hunting or fly fishing destination trip each year. We hunted all over the states and have now fly fished CA as well as the Uintas in Utah, the Battenkill in VT, the Upper Connecticut & Adroscoggin River in NH and Steelheaded the Brule.
Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done."
Charles F. Orvis, 1886
AKinMN  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 8:27:12 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
chenhyperborea wrote:
Thanks guys .... I guide here in Minnesota for a Orvis endorsed guide and the shop in an Orvis authorized dealer so we do look like a walking advertisement :-)

I know you do, that's why I jokingly posted that. And Orvis makes great gear. Again, looks like a killer trip.
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 9:49:36 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
chenhyperborea wrote:
My wife and I take a hunting or fly fishing destination trip each year. We hunted all over the states and have now fly fished CA as well as the Uintas in Utah, the Battenkill in VT, the Upper Connecticut & Adroscoggin River in NH and Steelheaded the Brule.

I've always wanted to do this California Trip. Absolutely beautiful... That east coast stuff sounds awesome too, I love the look of those NE trout streams.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."