Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 9:11:57 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The warm and wet weather lately the mosquitoes have been out in force. My old bottle of Deep Woods Off just wasn't doing the trick anymore, and leaves a nasty taste should a tiny bit of it somehow finds it's way in my mouth.

I've been looking at Sawyer Products Picaridin and Natrapel. Anyone have any first hand experience with these, or recommendations on some good bug dope that works well for Trout fishing?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 4:49:39 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My wife read about the Sawyer with 20% Picaridin, and that works well here in Northern Illinois. I could have used it this weekend - I literally got chased back to my car attempting to fish on the West Fork Kickapoo.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Pete  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 5:30:21 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
My concern with DEET has always been what would it do to an expensive fly line if I ever got it on a line by mistake? The soles of my shoes melted to the point that I was sticking to the floor of a row boat in Vilas County once when I did a shotgun application of DEET during an attack by a swarm of deer flies. Permethrin works well when applied to collars, cuffs and hat brims. Some of the natural ingredients in combination-citronella, lemon grass and peppermint-help, but only in combination; they're much less effective individually.
Picaridin is supposed to be safe for plastics, so that alone makes it worth a try. Combine that with less greasiness and its supposed effectiveness, and I have to give it a shot. Still some opportunities to do it soon, as the mosquitoes and other pests have been pretty bad on my last couple of outings.
BTJ  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 11:22:54 AM(UTC)
BTJ

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sea to summit makes a really nice head net for like $10 on amazon. It will work far better than any bug spray. If the bugs are bad enough there's really nothing that will work other than a physical barrier. The net along with a light long sleeve fishing shirt is effective and pretty comfortable. The net packs down to a golf ball sized bag so you can always keep a spare in the vest or car so you don't get the Zika LOL .
FishByFly  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 9:37:47 AM(UTC)
FishByFly

ThermoCELL!
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:08:31 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

I use 100% deet. Beats the thermacell I've got, and seem to get less ticks with the stuff

Edited by moderator Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:07:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My fly box is a tree
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:59:14 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
100% Deet is outstanding. Apply it to your face carefully, making sure to not brush the lips. I tried some of that non-toxic stuff a few years back, and quite often it just doesn't work. I know the bugs have been bad this year, but I can ASSURE you they have nothing on N WI/Canadian bugs. Drew and I got attacked on a trib to the Bad River this summer by swarms of literally 100 plus. And Eddie could tell you about the river we fished in Ontario where they simply took no prisoners. Those bugs bit despite several applications of 100%. That said, the fishing was good that day.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
DanE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:14:29 AM(UTC)
DanE

I use this when I need Deet, and the natural stuff I use doesn't work. Made by the same company that makes Buggins, which many here like for gnats & flies.

https://www.amazon.com/B...&keywords=bugg+spray
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:45:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
DanE wrote:
I use this when I need Deet, and the natural stuff I use doesn't work. Made by the same company that makes Buggins, which many here like for gnats & flies.

Dan,

Have you seen that in stores anywhere? I've been looking for that at the usual places, but despite carrying the gnat Buggins, they don't seem to carry the mosquito version. Or maybe they do but it was just sold out.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:50:45 PM(UTC)
DanE

William Schlafer wrote:
DanE wrote:

Dan,

Have you seen that in stores anywhere? I've been looking for that at the usual places, but despite carrying the gnat Buggins, they don't seem to carry the mosquito version. Or maybe they do but it was just sold out.

-Bill

I have not seen it lately but I have not really been looking either. I got my bottle a couple years ago, I think I got it at Farm & Fleet.