Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 12:20:54 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Just a broke guy chasing steelhead on the North Shore. Fish for them a few times a week, figure these reports might help out guys looking to get up here and catch some chrome. Last week the kings and pinks pushed out of the Duluth area. Heard the pinks left the Gooseberry area as well about the same time.
10/10 Lost two fish that night. once the sun went down the fish bit, both within 5 minutes of each other. Both ate spawn, at a barrier falls on the lower shore. Flies, yarn, and beads all have failed to produce as of yet. Very spotty fishing.
10/12 Caught a small steelhead on the same river, middle of the day. First of the season. Ate spawn, with no luck on yarn yet. Not seeing any fish. and all that bite come out of deep pools. We need rain, desperately. French river has looper bobber fisherman back out, did not hear of anybody having luck out there yet. McQuade has yet to have anybody there yet when I go past. The middle shore did not produce any fish, or any signs. No other fisherman seen on the middle shore either.
File Attachment(s):
20161012_141622.jpg (1,459kb) downloaded 70 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
My fly box is a tree
Sponsor
Paulie Maclean  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:37:53 PM(UTC)
Paulie Maclean

Thanks for the update, keep them coming! Hoping to get up this weekend.
MNFishhunter  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:23:38 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Keep them coming!
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:44:52 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
We want Steelhead pics Zehm...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:43:17 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Took a lake of the woods trip , with minimal fishing on the shore since last report. The 15th saw a crazy run up here on the lower Shore, tons of fish into the system. Buddy caught this one. Lakers are in the rivers occasionally, and being caught from shore on hardware. Trolling raps is catching loopers on the lake. Waiting on the rain to come, if you're looking at a trip I'd go to Wisconsin if MN doesn't get half an inch or more the day before you come.
File Attachment(s):
20161019_072206.jpg (4,023kb) downloaded 59 time(s).

My fly box is a tree
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:32:58 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Today was a great day on the middle shore. Caught about 25 coasters/brookies, size 10 copper John for most then a estaz version of a pink squirrel for a few. Lost a big fish, not sure what it was. These things are gorgeous though
File Attachment(s):
20161109_114356.jpg (3,696kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
20161109_105536.jpg (3,980kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
20161109_114418.jpg (3,598kb) downloaded 45 time(s).

My fly box is a tree
Paulie Maclean  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 2:33:33 PM(UTC)
Paulie Maclean

Pardon my ignorance but how does one know those are coasters? I've never specifically chased coasters below the barriers on the north shore tribs but I assumed they would be big lake run fish. Those look like slightly above average inland brookies. Beautiful fish, I just think my previous coaster assumptions are probably wrong.

NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 4:29:20 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Paulie Maclean wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but how does one know those are coasters? I've never specifically chased coasters below the barriers on the north shore tribs but I assumed they would be big lake run fish. Those look like slightly above average inland brookies. Beautiful fish, I just think my previous coaster assumptions are probably wrong.

Coasters are just Brook Trout that choose to migrate out into the big lake to feed. They aren't like big lake Steelhead with a migratory gene (this is why planted Rainbows rarely take or holdover in the Driftless). They move into the streams irregularly based on water temperature and water levels. They'll come into the rivers to feed on the eggs of spawning Longnose Suckers and Steelhead as well, in addition to their extended fall spawning trip. They're generally larger, but not always, with a more muted color, but, with that said, the fish on my avatar is likely a Coaster, despite being essentially black backed.
If you read through the linked report, you'll see a Coaster I caught this September, this is what their most common color scheme generally resembles.
http://driftlesstroutang...Rod-but-I-Broke-Him.aspx
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:07:22 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

The most wonderful time of the year is upon us.

Lower shore: it's on fire right now. six fish this morning for my buddy. Spawn has been hot, as is expected with the cold water. Muddy water, and still cold. They're staying in the runs it seems. This weekend I'm expecting to be amazing with how fishing has been over the past few days. Flies have yet to produce in the rivers for me

Mcquade: Was really good last week from all the fish they released from the French hatchery, has slowed down recently. 3 flies seem to be working best ( 10/12, to 14/16, to an 18). princes (always my lead), hot spot pheasant tails, and hares ears have been the best it seems. You can see the fish in there swimming around right by shore. windy cloudy days are still going to be good I'd imagine, during the days I'll still be in harbors. Bottom rigs haven't produced at all this year there. Small looper bugs seem to work sporadically. If going here use the smallest thingamabobber/indicator you can. the bite is either light or instantly gone

French: hit and miss, the usual up there. Haven't heard anything out of the normal

Middle shore: heard the Baptism is open, and a few fish being caught I'm told. In a week I'll start venturing up that way, waiting for warmer river temps.

Hen looper from Mcquade on friday UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:21:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My fly box is a tree
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 9:54:26 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Fishing Friday was insane. spent 13 hours on a lower shore river and caught 15 steelhead, and 6 brookies. lost about a dozen fish. The bite started once the sun hit the water. People were catching fish on yarn. Spawn didn't produce for me. All my fish came on a bead with a fly under it. Lots of steelhead being caught, very few loopers yet.
Saturday was slower on the lower shore. My buddy caught 4 on a powerbait trout worm, and I lost one on the bead setup. With the light rain expected for today and Monday this week looks promising for a fresh run.
My fly box is a tree