Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:06:58 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
They are the stocker strain of Rainbow trout. Kamloops Rainbow Trout. Can be easily identified by the clipped adipose fin on the back. Another story of a fish that shouldn't have been introduced because of the potential to water down the gene pool of the native steelhead.

Edited by user Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:30:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wannaseemysexdungeon  
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 8:42:40 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Loopers are also a lot less fun to catch. Generally they're a lazy fish. Great eating fish though. After the study came out on loopers and steelhead interbreeding most people love to see them being kept. A hen looper is worth its weight in gold for the eggs, use them to make spawn sacks
My fly box is a tree
catbag  
#23 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 10:26:26 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks again for the reporting and advice. My buddy and I made a day trip up from the cities yesterday. We are both pretty new to steelhead having fished for them maybe 6 times combined. We started at the Baptism and headed south from there hitting Encampment, Stewart and finally the Sucker. It was combat fishing in a sense as every spot we stopped had at least three cars and a lot of people in the rivers - there is four people besides my buddy in the first picture. We stopped at the Sucker and fished a hole right next to the lake with maybe 15min to go before we had to leave. It payed off and I got my first looper-21". Seeing as I have never caught a steelhead, stocked or native, it was an awesome experience. It seems like steelhead fishing is completely different, every cast could be the one even after casting into the same spot for 15 minutes or longer. I guess maybe relatable to musky fishing in that you have to think that this could be the one and not loose concentration-easier said than done.

Another question I thought of: How big does a waterfall have to be before they can't pass it? The one photo we stopped at because we were both like there is no way they would get up that but I am not positive really. If anyone has info on that I would be curious.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 1:05:14 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Yo're welcome! Good to see people catching their first steelheads, it's the start of an obsession. You'd be surprised by what these fish can really go through. Looks like your one photo is a barrier falls though. As far as how big the barrier has to be that's really hard to describe, you can look at Jap hole in the Lester and be amazed at fish jumping it. Lots of rain this morning up here, lower shore will be blown out shortly. Fished for a few hours on the lower shore, and went 2 for 5. Peach 8mm beads are key right now, nothing else seems to be working.
My fly box is a tree
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:19:49 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

This steelhead gave me one hell of a ride today. Ended up chasing it about 75 yards down stream to finally net it. 8mm peach bead with a fly under it. The lower shore did not blow out, surprisingly. It's sitting perfect, just needs less silt. The baptism looks like it'll be good in a day or two judging by the gauge.
UserPostedImage
My fly box is a tree