Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 5:02:13 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

fished the lower shore this afternoon. Rivers are a little high, and cold. Caught this hen looper, but not many fish were seen caught. ate a prince nymph under a bead
UserPostedImage
My fly box is a tree
Seabee1  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:28:00 PM(UTC)
Seabee1

Probably heading up the 21st of April thinking the mid shore will be good
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:48:56 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

Seabee1 wrote:
Probably heading up the 21st of April thinking the mid shore will be good

I'll be up there this Saturday. With the lower shore being productive it's about time for the mid to start producing
My fly box is a tree
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 4:18:55 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

report from Friday and today.
Lower Shore: is in mid run, the fish are fanning and many are in the system. they're biting egg patterns, and have stopped touching flies. Spawn has done no good recently. Lots of loopers, few steelies. 43 degree water temp friday at 11am. expect company. looper pic from Friday
Mid: early stages of the run. feels like high 30s, maybe even 40 degree water temp. This steelhead ate a bead above a 10 hot spot copper john, and was the best fight any fish has ever given me. Heard the stewart was going good. also caught this about 14" coaster in the mid shore, along with a smaller one about 8". still early, and the rivers were a little high and tea colored. Should be getting really good pretty soon here.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
My fly box is a tree
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:28:31 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

The entire shore has been good recently. After all the rain from last week everything blew out. I've heard amazing reports from Grand Marias, The lower shore has been good when the rivers lower. Mcquades harbor has had a really good bite recently, and is a good backup for when the rivers are blown out. Beads are king right now, and size 12 flies in the harbors. peach and pink beads 10mm. Here's delicious looper from sometime since my last report, the days have just blended together.
UserPostedImage
My fly box is a tree
catbag  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:06:16 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Awesome fish man - seems like you've got the north shore rivers figured out. And that looper does look tasty. I might head that way this Saturday; any idea of the conditions up there?
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:10:32 AM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

As of last night the Lester was high, muddy, and fast. Any more rain it'll be blown out. The Knife is blown out. The Baptism is falling and looks ideal for friday, I'll have a midshore report friday night. I'll try to post it before I fall asleep. I was told the Stewart was on the high side, and a little too fast for fishing. We've been getting rain, and if we get much more the entire shore will be blown out. Every stream should have fish though, it's been a really good run so far.

Mcquade is slow right now, went 1/2 last night there. Not many fish rolling. Usually a good sign for a big run up the tribs. size 12 flies, anything brownish and fuzzy with. Some with, some without hotspots. The bite is light, hooksets are free, don't blink or you'll miss it.

Lowers shore has been the normal hit and miss. Wednesday I watched my buddy catch 9 in 2 hours, and the day before we didn't get anything. Lots of coasters this year. The mid shore has been good, and I'll be spending more time up there in the near future. I'd look towards the mid shore for your trip. The upper shore has been on fire, and I don't know the stream conditions up there. Big beads are hot up there.

A bead above a worm or bright nymph will produce. Peach, pink, and red beads are working in that order. If you fish for awhile with no takers on the fly switch it to an egg pattern under a chartreuse bead. Spawn has been hit and miss, and the yarn bite has been incredible on the lower shore the past few days. Chuck and ducks, use some Dr. Juice, and fish fast water. The fish are on the move, and should be fished accordingly.

If there's anything else you want to know feel free to ask, good luck out there

Edited by user Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:15:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My fly box is a tree
ChadS  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:12:29 AM(UTC)
ChadS

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the great reports!
wannaseemysexdungeon  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 7:21:23 PM(UTC)
wannaseemysexdungeon

ChadS wrote:
Thanks for the great reports!

You're welcome! happy to help

Today was the most I've walked in ages. I fished from Duluth to almost Grand Marais. Below the Knife the rivers are little high and slightly colored, falling water, pretty ideal. Rivers from the Stewart to the Baptism are a little high, Baptism is barely stained, Stewart is muddy. Above the Baptism the small rivers are blown out, and the moderate sized ones were a little high, all had muddy water. Heard of a few being caught on spawn. All the rivers are colder, and feel like they're under 40. Creel survey fella didn't have much to report this morning. Fishing was incredibly slow, I didn't even get to put a bend in the rod. Sad times. Everybody I talked to said the same thing, slow fishing. They should turn on in the next couple of days, and it'll be amazing. Just when...

Mcquades was slow tonight, buddy caught one between the 4 of us. went 1 for 2 there last night, with this hen looper on a nymph.
UserPostedImage
My fly box is a tree
Guillermo  
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 5:51:39 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Might be a dumb question, but what exactly is a looper? Forgive me I don't know much of anything about steelhead fishing.