Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chenhyperborea  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:49:43 PM(UTC)
chenhyperborea

Today brought the end to Minnesota's regular trout catch & season I was able to bring it to a close by partaking in some phenomenal streamer action on Thursday as well as this afternoon. My Cat's Meow leech pattern was red hot although the weather was often times dreary, wet and cool. I leave Monday for northern Minnesota to chase Musky on the fly!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done."
Charles F. Orvis, 1886
Sponsor
MN Driftless  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 4:37:42 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nice trout. Have had great luck with a leech pattern all fall.

Looks like Winnebago.
catbag  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:30:46 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Nice fish!! To you and all the other streamer people: What is your tactic for streamer trout fishing. I went on this past Friday to the Kinni and tried streamers for a bit (one of the only times I have tried them). I mainly used a orange cone headed wollybugger and casted about 45deg upstream and tried to twitch it on the way down then let it swing. I had zero strikes or follows. The two or three times I have fished streamers I have had the same outcome. That is generally why I go back to what I know.
MN Mountain Man  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:58:06 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Nice fish! The beauty of living in MN is that the end never has to come (ok, you're right, it kinda doesSad). I got out today to one of the state parks. Fish were eating small orange/tan mayflies and zebra midges.

I'm with you catbag. I feel like it's all about confidence with streamer fishing. When you're feeling it the fish will come. I'm by no means a good streamer fisher but I'd suggest trying a few different retrievals. Down and accross, slow long strips, quick little strips, a combo of fast and slow strips, dead drifts with light twitches, etc. The more fish you hook into the more confidence will you're streamer confidence will growThumpUp
chenhyperborea  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:45:27 PM(UTC)
chenhyperborea

Not Winnebago but both streams were in Houston County.
Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done."
Charles F. Orvis, 1886
catbag  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 8:10:44 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
MN Mountain Man wrote:
Nice fish! The beauty of living in MN is that the end never has to come (ok, you're right, it kinda doesSad). I got out today to one of the state parks. Fish were eating small orange/tan mayflies and zebra midges.

I'm with you catbag. I feel like it's all about confidence with streamer fishing. When you're feeling it the fish will come. I'm by no means a good streamer fisher but I'd suggest trying a few different retrievals. Down and accross, slow long strips, quick little strips, a combo of fast and slow strips, dead drifts with light twitches, etc. The more fish you hook into the more confidence will you're streamer confidence will growThumpUp

Thanks for the advice; Ill have to just go out more!BigGrin