Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheDancingMan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2016 6:23:54 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/22/2015(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: St. Paul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The Brule has been fishing tough but those persistent and willing to work overlooked water will find plenty of rewards. I lost a bigger one on Friday night but I did hook this beauty. 27 inches is what he measured out to. He was ripping line like crazy.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
derdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:58:13 AM(UTC)
derdmann
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 3/22/2012(UTC)
Posts: 100
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Nice job!
"The tug is the drug"
kinni  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:47:35 PM(UTC)
kinni
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 82
Location: Western WI

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Very nice! I've tried the Brule a couple times this fall and failed to land a steelhead so far. Hope to try my luck again this coming weekend.
TheDancingMan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:55:25 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/22/2015(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: St. Paul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
kinni wrote:
Very nice! I've tried the Brule a couple times this fall and failed to land a steelhead so far. Hope to try my luck again this coming weekend.


Fish the faster runs with some depth to them and try some stonefly nymphs tied on a jig hook. That's what worked for me. I also hooked a skipjack as well about 20 inches
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 3:19:14 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 7/26/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,175
Location: New Brighton MN

Thanks: 59 times
Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:
kinni wrote:
Very nice! I've tried the Brule a couple times this fall and failed to land a steelhead so far. Hope to try my luck again this coming weekend.


Fish the faster runs with some depth to them and try some stonefly nymphs tied on a jig hook. That's what worked for me. I also hooked a skipjack as well about 20 inches


Can you post a photo of one of the "stonefly nymphs tied on a jig hook" please? ThumpUp
TheDancingMan  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 5:50:47 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/22/2015(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: St. Paul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Here is a picture. I've caught a few steelhead and one giant brown trout on it. Pretty simple, just tan goose biots as a tail, peacock hurl, tan dubbing for a thorax along with some wood duck fibers for a buggy look.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, October 24, 2016 7:44:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kinni  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 2:22:40 PM(UTC)
kinni
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 82
Location: Western WI

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Perfect! Thanks! I've been using Superior X-Legs and other larger stonefly nymphs. I'll have to grab some jig hooks and tie up some like that as well.

Nothing on egg patterns? That's what I've had some success on in previous years.

Appreciate the tips!!
TheDancingMan  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 3:28:37 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/22/2015(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: St. Paul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
kinni wrote:
Perfect! Thanks! I've been using Superior X-Legs and other larger stonefly nymphs. I'll have to grab some jig hooks and tie up some like that as well.

Nothing on egg patterns? That's what I've had some success on in previous years.

Appreciate the tips!!


I've used X-Legs too, I just like how flies tied on jig hooks get down quick and drift a little more naturally in the water in my opinion. I used egg patterns as a dropper but kept snagging so I just fished a single nymph.

Caught this skipjack on a similar pattern as well.

UserPostedImage
shebs  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:07:31 AM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 898
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:
kinni wrote:
Perfect! Thanks! I've been using Superior X-Legs and other larger stonefly nymphs. I'll have to grab some jig hooks and tie up some like that as well.

Nothing on egg patterns? That's what I've had some success on in previous years.

Appreciate the tips!!


I've used X-Legs too, I just like how flies tied on jig hooks get down quick and drift a little more naturally in the water in my opinion. I used egg patterns as a dropper but kept snagging so I just fished a single nymph.

Caught this skipjack on a similar pattern as well.

UserPostedImage


Skipjack? I've heard people refer to immature salmon as 'jack' salmon, but that looks like a steelhead to me.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
TheDancingMan  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:55:14 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 2/22/2015(UTC)
Posts: 133
Location: St. Paul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It is a steelhead. I've always heard people refer to young steelhead as skipjack.
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 2.194 seconds.