Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:48:15 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I put a lot of time on the water this season, and despite actually having a job this summer, managed to get out plenty of times from January through October. Lots of big Brook Trout, hit the 15-15.5" mark 4 times but no 16" fish as of yet. That said, landed a PB 21" Brown on a Brookie river, PB 28" Steelhead out of the Knife, a 19" non-brooder Rainbow, easily eclipsed my annual goal of 20 new streams, and even got a few Chinooks and a small Coaster this September. Also got to witness a buddy's first Tiger, Eddie's PB Brookie/Hunchback of Crawford County, and got several other people into Trout fishing. Here are a few nicer fish.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

What about you guys, any nice fish or goals met? Board has been too quiet lately. I've been chasing the Pheasant and Duck very hard of late, anyone else?
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:55:44 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Those are some exceptional Trout. Well done!

I can't match those size-wise. But the only notable thing that happened for me this year was the single day Rainbow-Brookie-Brown Trout trifecta.
UserPostedImage

Which was a nice follow-up to the Tiger-Brookie-Brown Trout trifecta from the previous year.
UserPostedImage

No monsters, but here are a few highlight fish:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A couple of weeks ago I did put together some stats for this year:
- 21 outings / trips covering 27 total days fishing
- one rod broken (Echo Carbon 4W - for the fourth damned time!)
- one new rod purchased (Echo Base 4W)
- fell into the stream twice (both times witnessed, how embarrassing)
- 9 new streams fished
- >8000 miles driven; 510 miles longest trip, 240 miles shortest trip
- fished with three DTA members
- fished the most of the season using two furled leaders with tippet rings

The 8000 miles driven was a big uptick from previous seasons. Sure would be nice to move closer to the DA and fish when the urge hits me instead of having to endure these long trips. The long hours driving are draining. Not to mention the wear and tear on the car.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gerrber  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:08:04 AM(UTC)
Gerrber

2016 was a good year, I got out more than I ever have in the past, hit a lot of water that was new to me, and tried to step out of my comfort box and fish new techniques. I found myself fishing the way I want to more(streamers and dry flys), which probably lowered my total number of fish to hand but made the experience overall more enjoyable. I also spent more time throwing big streamers on marginal water with the homerun or bust mentality, which resulted in a few skunks. Seeing last years thread similar to this gave me the idea to track my fish count this year, turns out doing that is a pain in the ass, wont be doing it again.

Highlights:
-[1/17/2016-11/2/2016] 202 total fish (153 brown, 26 brook, 22 rainbow, 1 steelhead) -- There's a trip or two in Iowa left, and probably a state park before the calendar changes, hopefully can build on those totals.
- First steelhead..ok it was a Kamploop, either way I'm hooked and see a lot of my spring next year chasing those unicorns.
- Fished some waters out west, will definitely be back when time and funds allow.
- Hit the driftless trifecta.
- Got a personal best brown, brookie, and rainbow(thanks Colorado).
- My casting and the way I approach water has gotten quite a bit better.

Goals yet to be met:

-Catching a cutthroat. (Struck out when I was out west)
-Crack 20" on a brown trout. Upper teens was all I could muster.
Pete  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:41:27 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It was kind of a disappointing year, at least in terms of trout. I just didn't do as much as I'd have liked. I tried a couple of what I'd hoped would be cast-and-blasts, but the turkeys didn't cooperate and I spent the entire time hunting with no casting.
As far as successes, my first fish of the year was a pike on 1/1/16; caught some big largemouths out of a nearby-walking distance-lake at night; got into some nice smallmouths on Fox river tributaries not far from home late in the Summer and Autumn; my five year old has gotten pretty good at catching bluegills on her tenkara rod. Maybe bass or brook trout will be a target for her this year.
I really enjoyed seeing all the photos of everyone else's trout. It sure seemed as if more big brook trout were caught this year than in other years.
Zugbug  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:21:23 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Since I'm retired, one of my primary goals in life is to get in at least 40 days of fishing per year. So far this year, I've been out 46 days - it's good to have measurable objectives.

No personal bests in regard to big fish. However, I did manage to avoid falling in, or getting bit by anything venomous.

I did catch a Tiger Trout - didn't realize what it was at first - thought that it was a very strange looking Brook Trout.

Finally, I did have the opportunity to fish in a new area - Alberta.
shebs  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:41:51 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I couldn't even count how many times I got out this year. Just the way I like it. Easily 60+ days, as I fished 2 days a week (sometimes more, less frequently only 1) from January thru October. I love the new extended seasons!
Went thru 3 pairs of waders (LL Bean warranty is awesome) and 2 pairs of boots (Cabela's boot warranty - also awesome)
For the first time my rod/reel setup lasted a whole year. Ugly Stik all the way.
25k+ miles on the Toyota, rolled past 212k today and she's still purring (and getting 35mpg).
Caught my first and second tiger on the same day.
Caught a 16" brook on the last day of the inland season.
No 20+ browns (lake runners don't count), but 8 or 10 that were 18+.
Fished a few days in Grand Teton NP in Wyoming, where the addiction began 3 years ago. Got one 16" and one 18" Cuttie, as well as a grand slam day - cuttie, rainbow, brown, and brook...and 3 of the 4 came from the same run!
Found some of the most beautiful brook trout I will ever see while up on the north shore.
Hunted monsters with sasquatch. Still have yet to catch a salmon, somehow. I kept getting all the browns and steelhead.
I'm too lazy to post pictures, but if you hunt through the old threads, most of these are documented already.

ThumpUp

Edited by user Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:48:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
big_river_bum  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:22:42 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
i burnt myself out. by july I was going out just to go. probably closed in on 100 outings this year.

also, finding and not hooking up on or losing 4 or 5 20"+ fish this year and I got in the wrong frame of mind for fishing. it should always be enjoyable.

I learned this year that I'd rather catch fish on dry flies over anything. only resorted Flapper to nymphing twice all year. pb fish on dry fly this year was 16" on caddis in april on lil glass 3wt. EPIC.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:45:58 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Excellent gentlemen. Keep the discussion going! Don't let DTA die...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
MNFishhunter  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:02:10 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

38 new trout streams this year, included new water in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota.
Two dozen trout that were 16 inches or longer so far in 2016. That might come to a stop though, the warm water species are damn fun right now.
Another tiger. Brookies up to 13 inches.
Met more DTA members at the last Trapfest.
I will never buy cheap waders again, sick of replacing waders. Too many trips to Cabela's.
BUT.... the year isn't over yet.
mjager0  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:05:58 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

This year was my best year yet as far as big browns go. I'd estimate I made it out around 30 times (I did a summer internship and wasn't able to fish during the months of June and July)
I broke the 20" mark for the first time
caught 12 browns over 18"
explored lots of new water, found some spots that I want to return to in the future.
This is the first season that I never got skunked on a day of trout fishing, got close a couple of times, but there was always at least one fish willing to bite a streamer (god bless the wollybugger), which can make a big difference on a slow day. Last year I got skunked several times in a row and ended up getting frustrated and started spending more time fishing for other species like smallmouth.
- Matt
Instagram