Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:43:46 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
catbag wrote:
Those are some really helpful techniques (and good looking flies)! Could you go into the dubbing a little more on your flies? I have a fox squirrel hide and I've tried just putting that on the thread but I cannot get it to stick very well. Part of my thought is that its a summer squirrel so there isn't a lot of under-fur like the winter hides get. Any suggestions on what to do/mix it with?

I mixed SLF Fox Squirrel thorax and belly fur with a little Grey Squirrel and some Antron fibers or Crystal Ice Dubbing for flash. Start with the red Fox Squirrel and then add small amounts of the grey and Antron to get the texture and color you want.

A dubbing loop works well to secure the dub to the hook. Just don't over tighten it. For a Pink Squirrel you want the body to be spiky looking with lots of guard fibers poking out. I wet the thread with a little bit of water to get the fibers to cling to it initially before I tighten the loop. Light pink thread will help blend into the dub and the Chenille collar.

Bethke uses his own mix of dubbing wax on the thread. But with the dubbing loop you don't need wax, or the wire over wrap that many recipes call for.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 4:54:04 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I got hold of some squirrel fur "on the hoof" so to speak, and took my beard trimmer to it.

So far, so good. At a fly fishing show last year I got a medley of colors of Antron dubbing, so I mixed a few batches in the ol' coffee grinder.

The most "true to color" was the yellow Antron; it doesn't really change the color but does give it that glitter that only Antron does. I then tried a little black Antron; also a good color match, and I think it's a good alternate to the normal color Last, I took some green Antron; the result was very close to peacock herl in color, so I plan to use that batch on several flies, just to see how they work out.

Because I don't have any pink chenille, I used the pink Antron for the collar, which works fine.

Sorry, no pix yet.

Edited by user Saturday, February 4, 2017 4:54:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
MN Mountain Man  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:27:02 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I also live and die by the Pink Squirrel and it's many adaptations. I've been tying through hundred packs of hooks preparing for the upcoming season! I agree with Bill, the tungsten bead is key. I use mallard flank for the tail and wing, much like the Bird of Prey caddis. I use plain natural squirrel for the dubbing. Has anyone ever tried tying the Squirrel in smaller sizes? I tie mine in a size 14 but I've considered trying an 18...
UserPostedImage
Skimmer  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 6:49:06 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I tie the squirrel exclusively in sz 12 now. Usually throw something smaller behind it, my supplies just got here so I'll be cranking them out pretty hard over the next few evenings. I stay pretty darn close to the Bethke orginal. I've even been lucky enough to have mine critiqued by him and earned the "better than most" rating. I do tie the "dark pink squirrel" down to size 16 that's really more of glorified zebra midge pattern anyway.
William Schlafer  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 8:36:01 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Skimmer wrote:
I tie the squirrel exclusively in sz 12 now.

That's all I tie now too. I think it's the magic size for most situations.

I keep a few in size 14 for grins, but size 12 seems to be what Trout in DA streams are looking for. Tungsten bead heads are important. The big advantage to the extra weight is that the fly drops right through the water column down to where the fish are, instead of drifting along higher in the current. I fish the Tungsten bead head versions in deep fast water, and the regular brass bead version bounced through rocky riffles.

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
catbag  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 5:59:35 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I mixed SLF Fox Squirrel thorax and belly fur with a little Grey Squirrel and some Antron fibers or Crystal Ice Dubbing for flash. Start with the red Fox Squirrel and then add small amounts of the grey and Antron to get the texture and color you want.

A dubbing loop works well to secure the dub to the hook. Just don't over tighten it. For a Pink Squirrel you want the body to be spiky looking with lots of guard fibers poking out. I wet the thread with a little bit of water to get the fibers to cling to it initially before I tighten the loop. Light pink thread will help blend into the dub and the Chenille collar.

Bethke uses his own mix of dubbing wax on the thread. But with the dubbing loop you don't need wax, or the wire over wrap that many recipes call for.

-Bill

Thanks for the input - I'll try it out this week.
kinni  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 6:23:19 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I tie most of mine in 16's and 18's. I carry some 14's along as well, but they seem pretty big when 16's are the most popular (for me anyway). Maybe I need to tie up some of these bigger sizes and see what happens.

I like to tie my version with a black body and hot pink ice dub (and yes, I'm aware that the bead and rib don't match Smile ). Trouts around here seem to like it anyway...

UserPostedImage
taion  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 6:26:44 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

kinni wrote:
I tie most of mine in 16's and 18's. I carry some 14's along as well, but they seem pretty big when 16's are the most popular (for me anyway). Maybe I need to tie up some of these bigger sizes and see what happens.

I like to tie my version with a black body and hot pink ice dub (and yes, I'm aware that the bead and rib don't match Smile ). Trouts around here seem to like it anyway...

UserPostedImage

I have also had great luck with size 16 and 18
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.