Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 6:10:46 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I found some time over the weekend to fish two of the three MN state parks that have a continuous trout fishing season. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of crowding but I only ran into a few people, probably because most are out hunting. I heard lots of shotgun blasts in the distance.

Temps ranged from the high 30's in the morning to the low 70's in the mid afternoons. Skies were clear and winds light. I noticed a decent midge hatch on and off both days I fished and spotted a few spare BWO's. Fish came to hand after eating a sz 18 brassie, size 14 pink squirrel of prey, and an dull orange size 18 CDC rs2. Action wasn't fast n' furious but I landed around 1 1/2 dozen yesterday and 6 today. Fish were very easily spooked and on the stream I fished yesterday I avoided wading as much as possible as fish were on reds in the riffles and tailouts. All fish landed came dredging the depths of deeper pools.

Today I fished a tiny stream that sees very little pressure compared to the larger stream running through the park. Fish were on redds here also. I spotted quite a few brownies but only landed one today. The rest were brookies.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Check out my blog for a full report complete with pics! Yesterday Today
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 10:34:45 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gorgeous Brookie! I've always loved the view in that shot, wish the area didn't get hit as hard. Trout Opener down there was frankly pretty nauseating. Beautiful water though to say the least.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 10:57:39 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
This is pretty cool!

UserPostedImage

Reminds me of the valley I grew up in SW Wisconsin. There was a limestone outcropping that water would come out of creating a small brook which flowed down the valley. It would be covered my moss and water cress by summer and was always a nice cool place to hang out on a hot day.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos