Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 11:31:29 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

The talk this week is Shawna Stringham -- "Warden Talk" -- "an update on law enforcement activities in SW Wisconsin"

I haven't been able to attend one of these Wednesday meetings for 4 years (work 2nd shift).

Could anyone provide a summary who is there -- or at least share some of the discussion? I'd be real interested, because in all my years, I've never seen a Warden on a trout stream.

[Looking your way, WI Fly Guy...] RollEyes
thanks!

Edited by user Monday, November 14, 2016 11:36:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
MikeJuran  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:53:03 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

HookJaw wrote:

The talk this week is Shawna Stringham -- "Warden Talk" -- "an update on law enforcement activities in SW Wisconsin"

I haven't been able to attend one of these Wednesday meetings for 4 years (work 2nd shift).

Could anyone provide a summary who is there -- or at least share some of the discussion? I'd be real interested, because in all my years, I've never seen a Warden on a trout stream.

[Looking your way, WI Fly Guy...] RollEyes
thanks!

If I get all my deer camp prep done, i will go Wednesday nite ... I was on Mormon Coulee a couple years back .... down in creek with steep high bank to the west. I happened to look up and two dark silouttes (sun was behind them) were on bank above me ... scared the shit out of me .... They checked my license after a long conversation ..... then they asked me if this was all easement (which I thought strange) .... I told them it was .... wardens climbed back up slop and then said there was a trout holding to the right bank about 30' from where I was fishing ... i thanked him for the info, tossed my hopper in that vicinity and watched about a 13" brown come up and miss. We all laughed and they left.
Fly Me A River
HookJaw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:30:18 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Nobody ? Sad

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
MikeJuran  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:46:47 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

HookJaw wrote:

Nobody ? Sad

Sorry, didn't make it .... Curt Rees (Coulee TU Prez) is on this forum so maybe he can opine.

mj
Fly Me A River
WI-fly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:22:42 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was there and enjoyed Shawna's presentation. It was mainly interesting stories from the field, many of them centered on deer poachers. She did talk about trout fishing a few times, but sounds like wardens only get involved when they suspect that people are intentionally taking more than their limit. She also talked about a time when she and another warden dressed as fishermen to investigate whether or not a landowner was harassing people while they were on the stream. They had received reports about the owner on Spring who would harass fishermen by driving his ATV through the stream within a few yards of the fishermen. Her presentation wasn't real formal, but very entertaining. Wardens deal with a lot of crazy and a lot of stupid.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:25:17 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
BTW, the next two Coulee Region TU meetings will take place at the Legion in Viroqua. Mat Wagner is the presenter on 12/21 and Rick Osthoff will be 1/18. Dinner, drinks, fly tying at 6, short business meeting at 7, and then presentation at 7:15.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram