Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:10:29 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

looking for anyone's experience with ice prevention products like Stanley's ice paste, PAM, WD-40, fly-floatant etc. Have 5 days fishing in Arkansas tailwater starting next week and morning temps predicted to be in the 20s. Last time down their during spawn run I did the dipping eyelets back in the stream to quick melt the ice on rod eyelets/fly line, does anyone KNOW if any of these products actually work?

mj
Fly Me A River
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:48:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
My Michigan Steelhead friends swear by Reel Magic, they claim it even improves your casting distance. I generally use a cheap stick of lip balm, and apply it very lightly to the front 3 guides. A fly rod tip placed on a spinning reel will also greatly reduce ice buildup.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
HookJaw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:25:59 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

NBrevitz wrote:
A fly rod tip placed on a spinning reel will also greatly reduce ice buildup.

Do you have a pic of this or could you explain in more detail?

...And dumb it down a bit for me, I'm a spin fisher.

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Pete  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:32:00 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've not used WD 40 because I'm not sure of its effect on a fly line. I wonder if it would dissolve it or cause any damage? But it is very hydrophobic and would repel water from the guides (as would Teflon oil or gun oil). Lip balm, as mentioned, cooking oil, that sort of thing have worked for me in my Winter steelheading days. I also found the better the fly line the fewer problems I had with ice forming. A top of the line SA line was so high floating and hydrophobic that it did a lot to prevent the guides icing up.
DanE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 5:09:45 PM(UTC)
DanE

HookJaw wrote:

NBrevitz wrote:

Fly rod tip guide is lighter wire and much larger inside diameter, so it doesn't freeze up as fast as a spinning rod. ThumpUp

Edited by user Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:06:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:36:17 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
DanE wrote:
HookJaw wrote:

NBrevitz wrote:

Fly rod tip guide is lighter wire and much larger inside diameter, so it doesn't freeze up as fast as a spinning rod. ThumpUp

Exactly, you'll also get a smoother cast. I do this with all my ice panfish rods. First, cut the cemented threading around the rod tip with a sharp knife, cutting lengthwise. That's the easy part, tough part coming up. The trick is to take a lighter, and very slowly and carefully hold the flame at the very tip of the end guide where it meets the rod blank. You need to melt the rod cement without charring the graphite. Rotate it and move it back and forth to ensure the graphite doesn't char. Stop every so often, and gently twist and pull with a plires, it will be white hot. After you remove the rod tip, allow the rod to fully cool, gently scrape any remaining adhesive, and apply gorilla glue lightly with a toothpick to the cleaned end. Finally, put a couple drops of glue into the fly rod tip you plan to use. Place new tip on rod and allow to dry, apply thread and hardhead if you wish, I don't find it necessary.

Edited by user Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:40:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Trouts  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:57:04 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have used the ice paste, lip balm, and line cleaner with some success. Once it wears off the guides, you are back to square one. I have had the best luck pre treating the line before fishing. Once you get below the mid 20's ice is just something you are going to constantly deal with. Good luck!
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
biff  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2016 11:14:53 AM(UTC)
biff

I've tried the ice off paste and most of the other stuff. Really fly floatant works about as good as any of it and you probably already have some around. Nothing I've tried lasts very long though.
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2016 6:49:34 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Again just my thought. Doing any of that oil lip balm etc. Is a waste. If you are fishing in temps below 20 good luck. It takes a few seconds to melt guide ice with you fingers or by biting it. Personally I hold for 25 degrees or so. Very minor ice build up. Unless Shebs makes a polar bear challenge I just don't see guide ice as a big issue. Reel spool freeze up sucks though. Ron

Edited by user Sunday, December 4, 2016 6:50:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Hoggies  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:14:58 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Plain Vaseline seemed to work OK on spinning gear with braided line and fireline at about 25° (I was out on the Mississippi chasing walleye with some buddies last month). It's available in a tube, which helps with the mess. I'll also second the fly tip on a spinning rod advice. One of the guys I went out with has one and he had the least amount of trouble out of everyone.