Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2016 5:16:28 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Looking at a new 4/5wt rod.
Maybe those knowledgable on such could share some discussion on the differences, pros and cons on glass vs. carbon rods?

Thanks,
Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Sponsor
Trouts  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2016 6:10:49 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is a tough one to quickly answer, but I will give you my 2 cents. As with most things generalizations and stereotypes just aren't always true. You really need to cast a variety of rods of all materials and pick a few you like.

Generally speaking glass is considered tougher. The material itself and the fact that the wall thickness of the blanks tend to be thicker does this. As thin and light as today's new graphite rods are getting only makes this look more extreme. You can bounce a streamer or double nymph rig off a glass rod with less fear of it breaking. I think the sweet spot for glass rods fall in 7-8' range. If they get longer than that they tend to feel a bit heavy and have more tip bounce.

Graphite rods generally speaking are lighter in weight and tend to have more power from the faster recovery. You can get them in much longer lengths like the 10-11" nymph rods and still be comfortable fishing them all day. You can really make a graphite rod with a wide variety of action and recovery range. Very versital rod building material hence why it is used so much today.

Most people will say glass rods have a slower action and graphite rods will be faster action. This just isn't true all the time. The slowest (deepest flexing) rod I have ever cast is a Winston DL4 3wt I have. Many of the new glass rods have a much faster action and recovery compared to the older glass rods of 20-30 years ago. You really need to cast several rods of each material, action, and recovery to get an idea of the vast variety within each material.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
richardkl249  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 11:19:22 AM(UTC)
richardkl249

I have both. I'll give you my thoughts.
I have an epic 8' 4wt. (new) Fiberglass. Its full flexing, its casts dries, nymphs, streamers etc...all with ease. its one of my favorites.
I have a vintage heddon 7' 5wt. The oldest, flights. 1953. its full flexing, sweet casting machine. Better with dries in my opinion. I have other heddons that are newer series.... meh... avoid them.
I have an Orvis Kit build 7'6" 5 wt midge. old 1971. its a beauty. again, dries, nymphs...but not a great streamer rod.
I'll say this, a lot of vintage fiberglass that are rated 6 weights will throw a 5 wt easily. Many 6 wt fenwicks will easily throw 5's and have a TON of feel. That Feel by the way is what protects your tippet which allows a lighter tippet to be used... 6x 7x. ok?

Carbon.
St Croix imperial. 7' 3/4 wt. prob the most fav carbon I use. just a pure joy.
Sage vantage 8'6" 5 wt. med fast, great feel, accurate, roll casting machine, handles everything with ease. dries, nymphs, rigs, streamers, etc.... fantastic rod.

owned but sold.
Scott G2 8'4 4 wt. Easiest casting carbon rod I've ever had. does everything. for 400 bucks and US made its hard to beat.

Let me ask this, what do you want it for? task specific? and all around rod? Is space an issue like it requires 3/4 piece? that might help define what you want. There are some fiberglass rods that just plain suck, just as some carbon just suck too. good luck...
stan b  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 11:52:32 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I currently have an Echo ION 8 wt rod & reel for steelhead and Brown's.
I have been smitten with the joy of fly fishing.
My next set up will be Orvis 4 or 5 wt.
Either superfine glass or superfine carbon.
Basically for the driftless and other small streams.
I figured I'd ask guys who would have experience.

Thanks,
Stan b

Edited by user Monday, December 5, 2016 5:08:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
richardkl249  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 3:43:08 PM(UTC)
richardkl249

I've casted the echo glass in 4&5 and it's sweet! All who I've talked to who own a ORVIS SFG love them.plus made in USA too. One thing about the epic is that you can buy a ready to build kit for ~400$ delivered you can build your own.
Good luck!
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:43:02 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the Redington Butterstick in 4Wt, I usually fish it with a 5 wt line, it loads better. Its a blast for big streamers and dries. I generally fish carbon because of wind. When I can I love busting out the glass!