Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 7:23:59 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

UserPostedImage

The wait is over, boarding plane early tomorrow morning to Arkansas to fish for five days on the Little Red tailwater below Greers Ferry dam. And as luck would have it for someone coming from the north country, lows this week may even get to the upper teens. Weather is least of concerns, more worried about how many generators will be running. If they run both, the river becomes unfishable. But based on last couple weeks looks like they run both for two hours and then its clear sailing til evening ... This is kinda a nostalgic return to Heber Springs. My brother in law Dan taught me to fly fish over 11 years ago on this same water. And we will fish together once again.

Hopefully a full write-up with pictures and some GoPro video will be in order. Hoping for my first 25+" brown.

mj

Edited by user Monday, December 5, 2016 8:31:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 11:20:30 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Good luck!!
Get Reel
3fe  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 1:39:55 PM(UTC)
3fe

I was there last week. Weather was great, but fish had not moved into spawning mode yet. Locals said fishing was good a couple of weeks ago, then slowed down. Local guide said we were 2 weeks early. That's why they call it fishing.
My first time there, but the guys I went with have been fishing there for 15 years.
Good luck, stay safe, and watch the water levels when fishing.
MikeJuran  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 1:45:28 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

3fe wrote:

Good luck, stay safe, and watch the water levels when fishing.

will let you know how I do.... got stuck 5 years ago on Cow Shoals island when they ran one generator when it wasn't posted. Island disappeared to about the a 10x10 cubical size before water started dropping. Have learned to call the generation line via phone in addition to checking website the nite before!

My brother in law was fishing same time you were .... he too said that some of the fish had spawned, but that the major activity wasn't on yet. Hopefully we hit it right .... big cold front coming in though, hope it doesn't shut em down for any period of time.

mj

Fly Me A River