Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<45678>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Greylin  
#51 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 6:52:30 PM(UTC)
Greylin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not to hijack this thread but I've been using worms for 20+ years and am looking to augment the arsenal. I have some lures but never end up using them because crawlers and worms have always worked really well.

I've noticed over the years that there are a lot of spots where using a lure might be the better option as far as depth of water or just being able to fish different spots.

My question is if you had to pick your top ten go to lures for fishing the Driftless area what would they be? What size? I normally fish with a small single piece ultralight 4' 8" Ugly Stick but also use a slightly larger Pflueger combo if it would influence you decision in any way.

Edited by user Friday, March 3, 2017 6:53:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I live in a van down by the river.
shebs  
#52 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 7:26:30 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Greylin wrote:
Not to hijack this thread but I've been using worms for 20+ years and am looking to augment the arsenal. I have some lures but never end up using them because crawlers and worms have always worked really well.

I've noticed over the years that there are a lot of spots where using a lure might be the better option as far as depth of water or just being able to fish different spots.

My question is if you had to pick your top ten go to lures for fishing the Driftless area what would they be? What size? I normally fish with a small single piece ultralight 4' 8" Ugly Stick but also use a slightly larger Pflueger combo if it would influence you decision in any way.

PANTHER. MARTINS. I cannot stress this enough. The lack of a clevis means they'll spin better at lower speeds (angular momentum, baby) - which is key for downstream retrieves, especially before the water warms up. I do like the Blue Fox spinners as well, especially the 'bullet' style ones that don't have a clevis, but even the standard ones usually work well. The clevis makes a wider lure, which I find leads to more 'fouls' where the blade is tangled in the line. Unfortunately, the quality of PMs seems to have worsened in recent years, with thinner wires and less precise bends/crimps, which means they don't last as long as they should...but a needle nose in the vest can make the most of them. I find the blue fox brand to be more durable (thicker wire, and heavier metal on the hooks), but not as effective. I primarily use them when steelheading or fishing very rocky streams (north shore, mostly) where the PM hooks get dulled quickly by bouncing on rocks.

For the PMs - Size 2 (1/16oz), or better, 4 (1/8oz) in winter.
Size 6 (1/4), or better, 9 (3/8oz) or even 15 (1/2oz) once the water warms. Larger water = larger spinner. 6 works well in small or very clear streams in summer/fall and spooks fish less than 9s or 15s...but I generally go as big as I think the fish will accept. I've caught enough 4" brookies on #9s to be convinced that you can't go too big unless you spook them with the splashdown.

I've also found a small jig (1/16th or 1/8th oz) with a 2-3" powerbait/gulp minnow works well in winter when fish are too lazy to chase a spinner. This is legal in MN, but from what the WI DNR told me, they do NOT qualify as 'artificial' for early season...so I guess that's not helpful Blushing

I know a few folks who use Chatterbaits and Rapalas as well, but I've never really had luck with them, but that's probably because I don't often use them. Rebel Craws and Hoppers have landed me some fish , but again, I so rarely use them that I can't really comment on effectiveness.

Though some days nothing works like a worm...there's always a can in the cooler for days when nothing else seems to work.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Greylin  
#53 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 7:40:46 PM(UTC)
Greylin

Thanks for the info! I'll admit, I now will have to Google clevis....sounds kinda dirty Blink. I'll have to check out artificial minnow and jig head idea. I think I've got some smaller Mepps so I'll probably look at some of the size 9.
shebs  
#54 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 7:49:30 PM(UTC)
shebs

Greylin wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'll admit, I now will have to Google clevis....sounds kinda dirty Blink. I'll have to check out artificial minnow and jig head idea. I think I've got some smaller Mepps so I'll probably look at some of the size 9.

LOL Blushing

the clevis is the little D-shaped 'loop' that connects the wire to the blade...on a PM, the wire goes right thru the blade with no extra piece...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

One thing to also note - Panther Martin has weird sizing.

In Mepps or Blue Fox, size 0 = #2 PM (1/16oz)
size 1 = #4 (1/8)
size 2 = #6 (1/4)
size 3 = #9 (3/8)
size 4 = #15 (1/2)

I find that Mepps are the worst of the three. They have the thin wire and hooks like a PM (actually, worse), but also have a clevis.. worst of both worlds. I can't tell you how many 2 hooked Mepps trebles I had before I stopped buying them completely.

Again - the Powerbait/Gulp minnows ARE NOT ARTIFICIAL/LEGAL FOR WI BEFORE MAY OPENER. I emailed my local DNR warden for clarification. (Gotta CYA!) I've had decent luck with mister twister or similar grub/plastics tho...they just hold onto the scented ones longer in my experience. Perks of MN fishing, I guess. Ask Eddie about the 22" he netted for me sometime Flapper
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Greylin  
#55 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:07:58 PM(UTC)
Greylin

shebs wrote:
Again - the Powerbait/Gulp minnows ARE NOT ARTIFICIAL/LEGAL FOR WI BEFORE MAY OPENER. I emailed my local DNR warden for clarification. (Gotta CYA!) I've had decent luck with mister twister or similar grub/plastics tho...they just hold onto the scented ones longer in my experience. Perks of MN fishing, I guess. Ask Eddie about the 22" he netted for me sometime Flapper

I'll keep that in mind. However, I usually only get to make a couple of trips per year and I usually go in May during regular season.
shebs  
#56 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:17:33 PM(UTC)
shebs

Greylin wrote:

I'll keep that in mind. However, I usually only get to make a couple of trips per year and I usually go in May during regular season.

Fair enough. I usually only throw those in winter, personally. Once things warm up, it's all spinners all the time haha
Gurth  
#57 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:32:03 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Once again, I'd tout those hybrids I made.

Got only a few bites today and they were all on one of those. They ignored the straight PMs.

The only one today that actually took the hook was an 18-ish beauty that leapt clear out of the water about 20 feet from me...

Leapt clear out of the water, winked at me, flipped me off and spit the hook and said "Look at how pretty I am! Look at what you're NOT catching today!" Cursing

Was a heckuva a breach, but that was my highlight unfortunately.

I second the Panther Martin rec.

I try other things from time to time, but nothing compares in terms of results.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Greylin  
#58 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:37:52 PM(UTC)
Greylin

Those hybrids you made look pretty sweet. Any particular reason you used a single hook over a treble?
Gurth  
#59 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:42:29 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Coz those are store bought streamers that I attached.

I cut off the treble and attached them.

I've gotten some decent action on them in slower water and in deeper water, but the regular spinners still work generally better in riffles and fast water.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#60 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 9:06:37 PM(UTC)
shebs

Ron has a few of his homemade spinners that he put plastic grub type things onto to make something like those hybrids. Maybe if he finds this thread he'll post a picture. I've seen them catch fish, but the plastic tears off fairly quickly.