Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brookie monster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:00:22 PM(UTC)
Brookie monster

Hey y'all! I figured I would try to learn a few things now that I'm a member on here now. I just have a few questions pertaining to rigging and fly patterns for SE Minnesota. I've fished Wisconsin quite a bit in river falls and east of there but never Minnesota. I have a few small creeks picked out for January first and now I'm just preparing. I'm just curious on what flies you would recommend for this time of year in SE Minnesota.. Also how would you rig them for maximum efficiency? I was thinking something like a heavy prince/copper John/ or scud as a lead fly with maybe a PT nymph or zebra midge dropper possibly. What kind of indicators do you like fishing in the winter? Just a little info on my gear. I plan on fishing a 7'6" or 7' 4 weight. I was thinking fish with 5x tippet because it's smaller and thus harder to see in slow clear water. What do all you think? I'm really unsure as I'll be fishing a new location and also I've never fished the in the winter. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks and tight lines,
Joseph
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:21:29 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Brookie monster wrote:
Hey y'all! I figured I would try to learn a few things now that I'm a member on here now. I just have a few questions pertaining to rigging and fly patterns for SE Minnesota. I've fished Wisconsin quite a bit in river falls and east of there but never Minnesota. I have a few small creeks picked out for January first and now I'm just preparing. I'm just curious on what flies you would recommend for this time of year in SE Minnesota.. Also how would you rig them for maximum efficiency? I was thinking something like a heavy prince/copper John/ or scud as a lead fly with maybe a PT nymph or zebra midge dropper possibly. What kind of indicators do you like fishing in the winter? Just a little info on my gear. I plan on fishing a 7'6" or 7' 4 weight. I was thinking fish with 5x tippet because it's smaller and thus harder to see in slow clear water. What do all you think? I'm really unsure as I'll be fishing a new location and also I've never fished the in the winter. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks and tight lines,
Joseph

I'm not a fly fisherman, but I wouldn't worry too much about the tippet unless you're on very pressured water. I've caught large browns in January with 25lb braid - I don't think trout are as line shy as people assume, but fish that see a lot of anglers (i.e. the year round season state park streams) may be more finicky. Most of the fly guys I know tend to like streamers for winter fishing, but nymphs and midges can be good on certain days.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
snbrd4evr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:33:26 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm heading out on the 1st as well and I had a few ideas in mind.

I read about the mysterious and not very well known streamer and midge in a dead drift. Someone on the internet said it can work well in the winter because the streamer looks injured as a dead drift and the trout are more likely to hit it. Also... winter and midges are always a good call.

I'm also planning on using fluoro 5x because it sinks and it should help get to the deeper holes they'll be chillin' in.

Also side note, I've gone winter fishing maybe 5 times. But this has always worked for me, so I'll stick with it.
trapper  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:52:11 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Twitch, and be hip to the strip
Get Reel
WI-fly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:14:15 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
snbrd4evr wrote:

I read about the mysterious and not very well known streamer and midge in a dead drift. Someone on the internet said it can work well in the winter because the streamer looks injured as a dead drift and the trout are more likely to hit it. Also... winter and midges are always a good call.

I'm also planning on using fluoro 5x because it sinks and it should help get to the deeper holes they'll be chillin' in.

Also side note, I've gone winter fishing maybe 5 times. But this has always worked for me, so I'll stick with it.

Mat Wagner from the Driftless Angler just did a presentation for our TU chapter and he talked about this approach. Hang a skinny midge off the back of your streamer of choice (I prefer an olive or gray leech) and then drift it through fishy-looking holes. Like Trapper said, if the dead drift doesn't work, twitch and strip it.

When fishing a two fly rig, I try to avoid an indicator because of my "skill" at mass tangles. Keep your rod tip high and watch your line for strikes.

Edited by user Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:15:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:54:05 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'll be double nymph riggin under a bobber. Slay big trout all winter long this way... Biggest trout Ive ever caught was on a sz 18 midge in march...
Brookie monster  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:58:11 PM(UTC)
Brookie monster

WI-fly wrote:
snbrd4evr wrote:

Mat Wagner from the Driftless Angler just did a presentation for our TU chapter and he talked about this approach. Hang a skinny midge off the back of your streamer of choice (I prefer an olive or gray leech) and then drift it through fishy-looking holes. Like Trapper said, if the dead drift doesn't work, twitch and strip it.

When fishing a two fly rig, I try to avoid an indicator because of my "skill" at mass tangles. Keep your rod tip high and watch your line for strikes.

Thank you all for the responses. When you are fishing this streamer-midge setup, are you weighting this with a split shot or fishing something like a cone or beadhead on your streamer? I was thinking maybe a black cone head wooly bugger to sink it deep with a midge off the back? Thanks again.
MN Driftless  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 5:53:39 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hold up. You said you were using fluorocarbon because it sinks: http://www.berkley-fishi...hy-use-fluorocarbon.html

I'll be out. Two nymph rig. It doesn't looks super warm, so the chances of a real midge hatch do not look favorable.
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 7:56:14 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Brookie monster wrote:
WI-fly wrote:
snbrd4evr wrote:

Thank you all for the responses. When you are fishing this streamer-midge setup, are you weighting this with a split shot or fishing something like a cone or beadhead on your streamer? I was thinking maybe a black cone head wooly bugger to sink it deep with a midge off the back? Thanks again.

I prefer to go with a weighted streamer if I have one available. Split shot just adds another possible tangle for me.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
snbrd4evr  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:49:18 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
MN Driftless wrote:
Hold up. You said you were using fluorocarbon because it sinks: http://www.berkley-fishi...hy-use-fluorocarbon.html

I'll be out. Two nymph rig. It doesn't looks super warm, so the chances of a real midge hatch do not look favorable.

Yeah... From your article you posted,

Quote:
Sink Rate—Fluoro sinks faster than mono, so it's not the best fishing line for topwater lures and small baits you want to suspend in the water column. On the flip side, fluoro is perfect for pinning bait close to bottom and getting more depth from weightless presentations. Plus, many pros us this line to achieve greater running depths from crankbaits in both trolling and casting situations.

This helps get down deeper. You just have to be careful what kind of knots you tie.

Honestly, I think conditions will be perfect. If it gets too warm, you get melt water from the snow, and that can cause the creek/stream/whatever to get colder than it already is. Forecast right now says 32 with 5-10 mph wind. I'll be out likely from noon to dark Smile