Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:47:04 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

My original post regarding Simms being a class act was because they DID give something away for nothing (zippered pouch) when they clearly did not have to. I get the sizing thing is a problem when you don't fit the production size ranges, but exactly what is your expectation of Simms that would make them a 'class act' in that situation? Simms clearly exceeded my expectation by giving me something (pouch). And they make an excellent product. Very few companies that would have done what they did in my case, hence the 'class act' label by me.

In your case, i am not sure how Simms or any other company could accommodate a sizing issue when their product sizes do not align with shorter or taller people than those production size choices. I don't think its reasonable to expect custom sized waders at prices near or slightly above production sized waders. The production lines are set up for cutting/stitching at fixed sizings. Adjusting those sizings requires time and labor.

I can identify that finding anything but ill-fitting sportswear in your case is a problem, I don't see how that will change my opinion of what Simms did for me which was the purpose of the original post.

mj

Edited by user Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:51:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
oldsaltnfla  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:09:16 AM(UTC)
oldsaltnfla

I don't want to get into an argument or anything as that would solve nothing. I thought I explained everything in my post. All Simms had to do was to either say no or quote me a price without some big explanation as to why. It was almost like they were ashamed of their excessive price so they were trying to alleviate their guilt. Once again, they were trying to make their problem my problem. It is great that they gave you the pouch, but come on; you can't compare that with my incident. One high end company that I will say is a class act is Filson. They have done things with clothing items for me such as changing the rise and the inseam of pants and altering the length of sleeves and cuffs on jackets for very little extra charge, and it didn't matter which material I chose, so I know it can be done. Simms was trying to pull the waders over my eyes and it didn't work.
Joe
mbchilton  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:58:14 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
oldsaltnfla wrote:
I don't want to get into an argument or anything as that would solve nothing. I thought I explained everything in my post. All Simms had to do was to either say no or quote me a price without some big explanation as to why. It was almost like they were ashamed of their excessive price so they were trying to alleviate their guilt. Once again, they were trying to make their problem my problem. It is great that they gave you the pouch, but come on; you can't compare that with my incident. One high end company that I will say is a class act is Filson. They have done things with clothing items for me such as changing the rise and the inseam of pants and altering the length of sleeves and cuffs on jackets for very little extra charge, and it didn't matter which material I chose, so I know it can be done. Simms was trying to pull the waders over my eyes and it didn't work.
Joe

Sorry, but it IS your problem. Sucks that your dimensions are what they are, but it's not Simms' problem. It's yours. In a free market you can charge what you want. Say they're expensive, but who are you to say what their product should cost? You're just not their target customer. Get over it.
oldsaltnfla  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:00:26 AM(UTC)
oldsaltnfla

mbchilton wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

Sorry, but it IS your problem. Sucks that your dimensions are what they are, but it's not Simms' problem. It's yours. In a free market you can charge what you want. Say they're expensive, but who are you to say what their product should cost? You're just not their target customer. Get over it.

How is it MY problem? I don't "re-tool" their wader making machine. I don't set their excessive prices. It IS their problem and not mine. They are trying to make it mine. You have spoken like a true tall guy (with probably big feet to boot). Not that there is anything wrong with that.LOL (no insult intended as it is what it is). You are right. I am not their target customer. In fact, I am not their customer at all; at least not anymore. BTW, it doesn't suck that my dimensions are what they are. I was a champion 103 pound wrestler in high school and walked the campus with much respect from other. Except for clothing, there are many advantages (too numerous to mention here) in being my size.
Joe

Edited by user Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:06:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: addition

snbrd4evr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:04:58 AM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Simms was trying to pull the waders over my eyes and it didn't work.
Joe

Or maybe they just didn't want to do it, so they just gave you a huge number.

I have a similar problem but I'm on the opposite scale. I'm 6'4" relatively thin and all legs (and I'm not a chick unfortunately because that'd be sweet). I don't have the option to be picky about waders and I usually end up with something big and baggy to accommodate my long legs. It's just how it goes and I get over it.

Back to Simms though. I have a bunch of simms stuff and it's all pretty amazing ThumpUp
oldsaltnfla  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:07:40 AM(UTC)
oldsaltnfla

snbrd4evr wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

I have a similar problem but I'm on the opposite scale. I'm 6'4" relatively thin and all legs (and I'm not a chick unfortunately because that'd be sweet). I don't have the option to be picky about waders and I usually end up with something big and baggy to accommodate my long legs. It's just how it goes and I get over it.

Back to Simms though. I have a bunch of simms stuff and it's all pretty amazing ThumpUp

Your first line says it all, and it is what I already said. Thanks.
Joe
NBrevitz  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:19:15 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
If they don't do custom sizes, they don't do custom sizes. Shit happens. Simms is buy and large a class act, they got their start from small fly shops, and as such they are still outstanding in terms of customer service. The fact is, they aren't obligated to lower the price on their waders, and that doesn't make them any less of a class act in my mind (it's not like it's an EpiPen). The goal of a business is to make $, had they made your waders at standard cost, that wouldve been a huge loss for them financially. Also, as some one who sits outside of the usual size range, I can tell you that I'd rather have gear too big as opposed to too small. Try being 6'7" and needing to make size 12 waders work, you'll have some real problems.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
SenatorGrimmshaw  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:26:17 PM(UTC)
SenatorGrimmshaw

I feel like oldsaltnfla is trolling, but I can't resist...

With waders having taped/welded seams, I imagine its not as simple as taking in a pair of pants or tailoring a shirt as described in your experiences with Filson. To make those sorts of alterations I would think entirely new patterns would need to be made. Perhaps you are looking at it in the wrong light. Maybe they wanted to help you out and get you set up with a well fitting pair of waders, but that was really the cost of developing them and breaking into normal production lines to make them. Could it be possible they thought it would be insulting to give you a no quote without any sort of explanation? Have you contacted any other manufacturers about making these for you?
oldsaltnfla  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:37:44 PM(UTC)
oldsaltnfla

No, I'm not trolling, it just turned out to look that way. I can see I am getting no where and am out numbered. If everyone would just seriously read my original post, then many replies would be unnecessary. I feel like I just keep repeating myself. So, I will just accept the fact that there are more people who like Simms than there are people like me who had a negative experience with them. I still feel like I am right. So, I will just use and adjust to my somewhat ill fitting but only $99 Frogg Troggs (and they seem to be really well made) and be happy with them. So how's that for "getting over it?"
Joe

Edited by user Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:38:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:54:52 PM(UTC)
DanE

oldsaltnfla wrote:
snbrd4evr wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:
Joe

Your first line says it all, and it is what I already said. Thanks.
Joe

Did you ever stop and think that there may be some people willing to shell out the $800 for a custom pair of waders? The fact that they explained why they cost so much and not just send a price with no explanation shows a company that cares in this day and age. Now me trying to be helpful, if you are looking for affordable with a wide range of size options, Caddis may be your best bet. They offer more options for short and stocky than most.