Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 1:34:38 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Anyone use one? Any suggestions on brands?

Was talking to a guy recently who suggested getting one for early/winter season to relieve the issues with eyes/reels freezing up.

I'm not going out when it's 9 degrees but would still like to when it's one of those days where the temps are just on the edge of freezing.

My tackle is typically one fly with no bobber so not concerned with materials/logistics.

Sponsor
lightningo2  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 10:26:30 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Madguy30,
I just picked up a Badger Tenkara Classic Rod from Matt Sment co owner of Badger Tenkara. My rod is around 11 foot. I wanted to try Tenkara this year, but I am primarily a rod and reel guy. There are lots of choices for rods and equipment. I never thought of the fact that the guides freezing up. Tenkara will definitely prevent that!

Badger Tenkara

Jason
Pete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:49:39 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Definitely consult with Matt at Badger Tenkara. He gave a talk on tenkara at our chapter and it was informative. He brought plenty of equipment for us to sample and gave a lot of instruction. I'm sure he'll hook you up with exactly what you need at a reasonable cost.

With the longer trout seasons now-and Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota all having open seasons in January-I'll be surprised if tenkara doesn't become much more popular around here if only to avoid iced-up guides, as you mentioned. Also, there may not be a better way to get a child into fly fishing than tenkara. Fewer worries about line management, tight loops, etc., and they still get to use a fly casting motion. My little one first tried it well before her fourth birthday and was able to make functional casts with only a little bit of practice.
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:37:44 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Appreciate the replies!

Looks like a new fun thing to learn.

The Classic looks to be what would fit my needs...something that's inexpensive.
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:21:04 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Last spring when we took a family trip to the Black Hills I brought an tenkara rod along for my 10 year old. I ended up messing around with it that trip and off and on all season.

Great option for kids first of all - or any inexperienced fisherman for that matter. Took my son about 5 minutes to figure it out then he was off to the races. On a couple of the small creeks we fished I'm not sure it wasn't the most efficient way possible to fish them. At the end of a drift your fly is out of the water for about 10 seconds then it's back in again. Someone who really knew how to use one could really do some damage I think.

I've thought about using one this winter for the same reasons you have. No guides to freeze, and tenkara can allow you to really efficiently cover a whole spot with a minimum of fuss.

Couple thoughts, based on my admittedly limited experience + some advice from a few guys I talked to who know a lot more:

- get the longest rod you can stand. We brought a 9'6" and an 11'6", and the 11-footer was far, far more useful. Easier to keep line off the water, easier to reach stuff farther away. Your casting distance is basically double the rod length, so short rod = short range. I'm contemplating a 13 footer this year.

- I used TFO rods and they were good. Lots of good brands I think.

- Tapered line was a little easier to handle than level line. A tapered tenkara line is about $20, so heck of a lot less than a quality fly line for sure. Level line OTOH is handy because you can adjust how much line you have. You can put up to about 2x the rod length on (+ leader) if you want although it starts to get unwieldy. I generally used a 5 or 6' level tippet. Ideally you hold the line off the water so the only thing in the water is the tippet below the indicator if you're using one.

Anyhow - tenkara won't replace my 5W, and it has its limitations, but it is great fun and has some practical advantages. Plus fighting a fish on one is a riot. My son hooked a pretty good sized rainbow on Rapid Creek and even though he had very little experience fighting a fish on a fly rod, he whipped the thing no problem. Pretty intuitive - fish goes right, tilt the rod to the left. He used his the rest of the summer, and it's positively murder on bluegills BigGrin
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:04:32 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Pulled the lever and ordered the badger classic tenkara today with a start up kit for line.

Exciting stuff.

Will hopefully see if the tenkara rod and reliable dog hair scud combo can scare up a couple of trout within a couple of weeks.
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:40:52 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Took it out for a test spin on a couple of streams this weekend...had a nice time! Some adjustments to make spatially, but really not that different than a regular rod.

I bought some hook holders to 'O-ring' onto the handle to handle my line.

Did any of you use longer leaders with it at all? I started with just 4-5 feet of 4lb, and it worked fine, but I thought about going with a 'butt' section of 8lb then a 2nd half of 4 lb to get a further cast. Wasn't sure if it'd effect the fragile tip or not.

Was nice to be in and around the water a bit anyway.
Pete  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:09:59 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
madguy30 wrote:
Took it out for a test spin on a couple of streams this weekend...had a nice time! Some adjustments to make spatially, but really not that different than a regular rod.

Did any of you use longer leaders with it at all? I started with just 4-5 feet of 4lb, and it worked fine, but I thought about going with a 'butt' section of 8lb then a 2nd half of 4 lb to get a further cast. Wasn't sure if it'd effect the fragile tip or not.

I've found it possible to use longer leaders. For a conventional rod, I'll rarely use a leader longer than the rod, unless there is some good reason. But you can go longer than the rod pretty easily with tenkara. I bought a length of level fly line (a very light one) from Badger. Then attach a mono leader to that. it totals maybe one and a half times the length of the rod. It turns out there are a lot of fish to be found that close to where I'm standing.
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 7:50:08 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Pete wrote:
madguy30 wrote:

I've found it possible to use longer leaders. For a conventional rod, I'll rarely use a leader longer than the rod, unless there is some good reason. But you can go longer than the rod pretty easily with tenkara. I bought a length of level fly line (a very light one) from Badger. Then attach a mono leader to that. it totals maybe one and a half times the length of the rod. It turns out there are a lot of fish to be found that close to where I'm standing.

Cool. Might try it out.

Trout aren't nearly as wise as people think...some fly fisherman act like you need to wear sheeps' wool in order to fish while fish are just fine going after splashy hunks of metal (spinners).

The shorter section has me tempted to check out using just a 5-6 foot leader of 10#/4# or something instead of a super long one.
taion  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:57:23 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

I have been using a 6-7 ft leader on the end of 12' of fly line. I have to hand line them in the last 5 feet or so but it gets me further from the fish and I have been catching more.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.