Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fifly333  
#31 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:44:50 AM(UTC)
fifly333

Man

For me just to get out more with my grandson and watch him catch fish!!!
catbag  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:11:32 PM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
1) Go out twice a month at least
2) Night fish once
3) Spend at least one outing streamer fishing only
4) Spend at least one outing fishing dries only
5) Catch a steelhead
6) Catch a muskie or have a follow
7) Up my personal best for brown trout
taion  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:07:38 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

1)Get out once a week.( toughest )
2)Teach at least two of my kids to fly fish
3)Learn to tie dry flies
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
OTC_MN  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:22:45 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hmm...

1. Fish some new streams.
2. Fish brookies on the North Shore. (My daughter's at UM - Duluth and is renting a house. Only her and one roommate over the summer so have free place to stay. ThumpUp )
3. Get my son flyfishing more. He's murder with a tenkara, but want to get him using traditional gear more this year.
4. Spend more time learning Euro style nymphing. Done it enough to see the effectiveness, just need to spend more time on it. Bought a dedicated rod for it so that'll help.
5. Get back to the Black Hills at least once.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NE IA Drifter  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:39:40 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
OTC_MN wrote:
Hmm...

1. Fish some new streams.
2. Fish brookies on the North Shore. (My daughter's at UM - Duluth and is renting a house. Only her and one roommate over the summer so have free place to stay. ThumpUp )
3. Get my son flyfishing more. He's murder with a tenkara, but want to get him using traditional gear more this year.
4. Spend more time learning Euro style nymphing. Done it enough to see the effectiveness, just need to spend more time on it. Bought a dedicated rod for it so that'll help.
5. Get back to the Black Hills at least once.

I just started the euro nymphing game this year after seeing a couple buddies outfish me for the last few years. As you get going it would be great to hear what you've learned. What rod did you get? I picked up an esn used for a great price and have really enjoyed it. It's an 11' 3wt and I'm running a 30' leader with it so I never have any fly line out.
OTC_MN  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:06:35 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
NE IA Drifter wrote:

I just started the euro nymphing game this year after seeing a couple buddies outfish me for the last few years. As you get going it would be great to hear what you've learned. What rod did you get? I picked up an esn used for a great price and have really enjoyed it. It's an 11' 3wt and I'm running a 30' leader with it so I never have any fly line out.

I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve for sure, but there's no doubt it's pretty deadly in the right circumstances. I can't wait to get it on some faster freestone streams.

I ended up getting a 10' 3w Echo Shadow II with their extension kit, so I can extend it to 11' if I want to. Running a 2w Rio Trout LT WF. Light enough line to be able to tight line without much sag, but can still fish a dry on it. Haven't used it a ton yet but like it so far.

I've been messing with different leader configurations, and still haven't settled on what I like when. Most of the ones I've used have been in the 14-18' range, but have used some shorter ones based on Umpqua Power Taper leaders with a sighter for times when I might be switching back and forth between tight lining and an indicator. Have not tried really long French style leaders yet but it's on my to-do list one of the next few times I'm out.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Siggy1  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:53:06 PM(UTC)
Siggy1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
- fish 5 new streams
- 3 browns 20"+
- 30 trout 15"+
- beat personal best biggest brown and brookie
Gurth  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:13:51 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
0% mortality.

Improve cast accuracy.

Get out further west and north (than Fennimore).

Find more brookies.

Catch my first tiger.

Figure out where the trout are on the Sugar River coz it's so close.

Blue River Slam

More north woods trout fishing.

Don't see myself getting out again till Saturday, so time for a quarterly review coz I'm obsessed (trout nerd) with this of late and have too much time on my hands today. Smile

0% mortality.

No obvious deaths. Had one 14 inch brown bleed quite a bit. Even though it was a short fight, was easy to get off the hook, was only out of the water for a few seconds and I tried to revive, it slumped to the bottom. So I gently picked it back up and spent about 10 minutes with it, holding the head upstream while my hands went painfully numb. Eventually, it gave a kick and was gone. I hope it made it although I know the odds were probably 50/50 at best. Did my best though.

Improve cast accuracy.

Improving all the time (and was already pretty good) especially now that I took the oddball lower end rods out of the rotation. Having the same setup in my hands consistently is key and I often get almost as excited for a great cast as I do a fish - especially when I had to play the wind. Need to practice my backhand and underhand casts though.

Get out further west and north (than Fennimore).

Done - but still have a lot that I want to explore this year. Too many streams and not enough weekend days! Plus many are smaller streams so I need to hit them in the next 10 weeks (or less) before the grass grows up.

Find more brookies.

I've already caught 7 times as many Driftless/southern Wisconsin brookies this year as I did all of last year... I got one last year.Laugh Progress… even if they've mostly been very small. Now to find some larger ones.

Catch my first tiger.

Incomplete - haven't been to tiger territory yet.

Figure out where the trout are on the Sugar River coz it's so close.

I'd say partial credit. I've always been able to get a brownie or two out of the Sugar, but never found spots that give me a good fish count day. Still haven't had a fish count kind of day there, but I'm usually getting 1 or 2 when I go out for an hour or two and on average, they're bigger than the Driftless brownies that I get out west.

Have been much more willing to go there on a regular basis this year for a quick 30-90 minutes.

Still not a destination type of stream for me, but I am gonna spend a day at some point going for a pig coz they're definitely in there and I believe that I know where-ish.

Blue River Slam

Got it on 2/11/17 but the rainbow was a brood, so I'm putting an asterisk next to it and not really counting it in my heart. There are fingerling rainbows in there, so I'll get it eventually. To be honest, the brookie will be just as hard to find (again) though.

Have been close on Otter Creek and German Valley Branch with 2 of 3, the latter even had a follow up nibble of the missing third. Doh!

More north woods trout fishing.

Incomplete – haven't been up north yet and most streams up there don't have early season anyway.

According to my fishing logs…

Number of days fished: 28

Number of Different Rivers/Streams: 17

Brown Trout: 113

Brook Trout: 7

Rainbow Trout: 2

January really killed my fish-per-outing with only 12 fish in 7 outings including twice being shutout. Didn't realize I was doing so poorly at the time. Laugh Guess I was just happy to be out.

Of the the 28 days fished, 10 times were an hour or two on the Sugar where I was shutout 3 times and caught a total of 13 fish although probably 4 of those were amongst the 10 largest browns I've gotten this year including my biggest brown ever.

First year of keeping an exact log and I'm liking having this info.

Have a log from last year too although a few days are missing.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:35:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#39 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 12:31:32 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Well, second quarter is over...

Caught a tiger, so that's taken care of.

Still haven't been up north other than on the way to Canada and tried the main Bois Brule for a couple of hours to very limited (poor) success.

My goal of getting out of my "home" range of west of Madison and south of the WI River is not going so well.
Planning on a two-dayer in Viroqua though mid-week sometime in September. Fish all day/evening > stay the night > fish all day > go home. Looking forward to that!

Will be looking for advice for that one pretty soon.

Meanwhile, hammering away in the home territory and having a really good year.

Edited by user Monday, July 3, 2017 12:43:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net