Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:15:09 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I've been out a bit yesterday and today...caught a few. Nice to be out!

Does anyone else find the fish to be more lethargic/sluggish in the way they hit the fly or hit in the winter?

I guess I didn't realize their metabolism could be as affected in spring creeks.
Gurth  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:33:12 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Without question they are less aggressive in their strikes and have been since November.

Got a few today and it was gorgeous out there.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:40:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:28:55 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Caught my first trout of the year today. (I went out last Saturday and caught nothing.) I had hoped to get out with some buddies this morning, but family plans changed that so they went without me. I was able to sneak out this afternoon and my darling 11 year old daughter went with me. That girl loves to fish. We hit an always productive section of Mormon Creek and I landed a fish within a few minutes on a black Frick's Fix (given to me at Trapfest). Strangest take I've ever had. I casted to a deep slow section and let it sink. Did a slow strip and felt weight, but no strike. I lifted the rod and there was a fish. I caught another one on the Fix in the same section. My daughter landed a dink on a beetle spin. She described her fish as "cute." Can't disagree.

We moved down the stream and I switched to a white conehead wooly bugger that I tied. On the first cast I hooked a good fish in a deeper bend of the stream. I only got a glimpse of it, but would guess 18". As graceful as a 6'2" 230 pound lumbersexual could move, I skipped around the corner of the pool to put myself in a good position to net the fish. I fought it for about 60 seconds and then, SIGH, it came unbuttoned. Got my fly back, but no fish. Moved down the stream and caught a consolation fish of about 14". It wasn't the leviathan, but it was the first time I've caught a fish on a fly I tied myself. I thank my buddy Courtney (AKA @sculpinarmy) for helping me tie it.

I was bummed this morning when I couldn't head out with my friends to fish, but all is well that ends well. My Harper and I got some quality time together and caught fish. My buddies reported that they both wore the skunk.

Edited by user Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:31:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
fix.jpg (133kb) downloaded 226 time(s).
harper.jpg (251kb) downloaded 225 time(s).
bugger.jpg (144kb) downloaded 225 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
madguy30  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:56:29 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
WI-fly wrote:

We moved down the stream and I switched to a white conehead wooly bugger that I tied. On the first cast I hooked a good fish in a deeper bend of the stream. I only got a glimpse of it, but would guess 18". As graceful as a 6'2" 230 pound lumbersexual could move, I skipped around the corner of the pool to put myself in a good position to net the fish. I fought it for about 60 seconds and then, SIGH, it came unbuttoned. Got my fly back, but no fish. Moved down the stream and caught a consolation fish of about 14". It wasn't the leviathan, but it was the first time I've caught a fish on a fly I tied myself. I thank my buddy Courtney (AKA @sculpinarmy) for helping me tie it.

Reminds me of this past summer up north--had about a 20 inch smallie on for actually a few minutes on the 5 weight, only to get it about 3 feet from me, come unhooked, and then sit there in the current staring at me. I had to laugh because I couldn't think of anything else to do.

Always fun to be a part of the process of catching fish. Congrats on the first self-tied fish!
MNFishhunter  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:33:30 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

It should be a highlight of your year, catching your first fish on a fly you tied. Nice job!

Edited by user Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:34:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 6:32:34 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

<-- Got the fish in my avi today on my second cast.

Didn't see another fish in the next 1.5 hours, but all and all, I'm pleased.

Will head out again tomorrow for much longer.
WI-fly  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:40:13 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
That's a nice fish. Love the coloration. Good job.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
stan b  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:47:31 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Heading over that way tomorrow, any recommendations?
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
William Schlafer  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:56:50 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Well done Curt! Love to see the kids out there fishing with their parents. She must like it a lot to put up with the snow and the cold.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:20:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

WI-fly wrote:
That's a nice fish. Love the coloration. Good job.

If you meant mine, thanks. It was a beautiful fish for sure. I appreciate every trout I get, but obviously, some stand out.

Went out today south of the Military Ridge to try a couple of recommendations:

Sawmill Creek - guy I met yesterday mentioned it and it was on my way to my other planned stop, so checked it out. Where I was, it was a typical south central creek - slow, mud bottom and tree lines along it. I tried a couple spots quick and saw no action and never having luck on these types, I moved on.

Steiner Branch - DNR biologist told me that it holds brookies and is the only stream in that part of the state that is decent for them. Was a nice stream although very small - sandy bottom, although I didn't get in.

Didn't get any brookies although I'm guessing they are definitely there. Maybe I'll give it another shot when the weather gets warmer.

So... 11:15 and no fish and back to work tomorrow...

Off to Iowa County to one of my sure-thing spots.

Fish were not at the first spot, but tried a big slow hole at a second spot that I normally walk past as "dead" water and got a really nice 18 inch rainbow. I don't doubt that it was a stocked fish at some point (Do rainbows naturally reproduce here in WI?), but it didn't appear to be brood stock as it's tail fin was fully intact.

No matter, was a thrill to get a fish that big after the slow morning.

Caught a small brownie too and unfortunately couldn't go to the headwaters to try for a slam as I had used up my time.

Another great day in the Driftless!