Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 2:50:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I'm looking to upgrade my ancient red & white Igloo Playmate cooler to something that performs a bit better for use on my fishing expeditions. I've been coveting the Fishpond Blizzard Soft Cooler for awhile now.

UserPostedImage

It seems to have some cool features, like the reach-in door on top, 18 can capacity, and some external pockets for carrying cutlery, seasonings and other small things. It's moderately priced at $80, which is easier on the budget than a similar offering from Yeti, which was over $300.

Has anyone had any experience with this Fishpond cooler, or can suggest something similar?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
MikeJuran  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 3:00:28 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Bill, agreed Yeti's are way overpriced. Most of the RTIC coolers (hard and soft sides) hold ice as long or longer than Yeti .... I believe they have a camo version with some pockets etc for about $112? I had purchased a Yeti tumbler and then found out RTIC makes same tumbler for less than 1/2 the price. I take the 10oz RTIC (has cover) with me with ice in it and ice will stay all day. I like having the metal tumbler with ice to pour a little good bourbon over for a stream side afternoon break. It is truly amazing how long they hold ice.

UserPostedImage

Here is the lowball tumbler .. it comes with a lid (but it has a sip hole in it). You can order lids with no hole (no spills that way).

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2017 3:05:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 5:19:27 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This isn't what you are looking at, but I bought an Rtic 65QT cooler and am very happy with it. Friend bought the 30 soft side and really likes it. I also have a couple tumblers.
moosekid  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:57:52 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I got one of these for christmas. It looks perfect for hiking, but might not be what you're looking for...

http://www.uncommongoods...X7dUlgViDptmsaAoG68P8HAQ
NE IA Drifter  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:15:08 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
moosekid wrote:
I got one of these for christmas. It looks perfect for hiking, but might not be what you're looking for...

http://www.uncommongoods...X7dUlgViDptmsaAoG68P8HAQ

This is cool!
taion  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 11:57:36 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

Bill, did you pick one of these up?
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 12:15:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

taion wrote:
Bill, did you pick one of these up?

I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Too many other toys further up the list calling out to me...

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
taion  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:03:02 AM(UTC)
taion

Man

Bill, I bought a fishpond blizzard, so far I really like it. They put the nylon webbing where most of these style coolers rip. The little hatch on top I thought looked a little goofy but now I love it. The only thing I am questioning is how easy it will be to clean. There is no pull out liner.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 9:51:58 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Cool! I still plan on buying one, just as soon as I bank a little more money for toys & equipment. I like the size of of the Fishpond cooler. My old red & white Playmate takes up too much space in the trunk and doesn't do a great job of keep things cool.

-Bill
BeerMeDean  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 7:06:15 AM(UTC)
BeerMeDean

vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:
This isn't what you are looking at, but I bought an Rtic 65QT cooler and am very happy with it. Friend bought the 30 soft side and really likes it. I also have a couple tumblers.

Cosign on the RTIC 30 soft side. Kept frozen fish completely frozen coming back from LA without ice or freezer packs. Outperformed Igloo MaxCold with additional cardboard lining and freezer packs by a mile. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a cooler that holds about a 12-pack.
This is your life, it's not a drill.