Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

96 Pages«<949596
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smis  
#951 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 2:55:08 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Headed over to Grant yesterday and started on a trib of a well know (and overfished/hyped) big stream. Had never fished this trib before and wanted to explore some new bends.

Parked and walked down to its confluence and fished back. This is a big stream and it could be argued as to which is actually the trib. Water was high with a nice stain. Caught quite a few fish (17) but most were the Driftless cookie cutter and the best was maybe 13-14.

UserPostedImage

Nice water though and I'm glad I had a look.

This would have been a perfect way to start my day if it hadn't ended up being the highlight.

Tried a valley stretch of the overfished/hyped well know stream and walked down into public land a good mile and fished back. Water wasn't overly high and had a nice stain but the cfs seemed really to be a bit too much.

It was cooking along and this is really big water and having fished the Nam when it's like that, I'm not surprised that the fish were tough to find. Only got one cookie cutter and cut it short and left.

Headed over to a small pasture stream and it was low and gin – looked like winter conditions and predictably the fish were hiding wherever they do on a sunny January day. 1 small brookie.

Decided to look for a stretch on my old favorite. On my way, I drove up a road along possibly the most overhyped and fished stream in Grant. There were at least 9 or 10 cars along maybe a 2-3 mile stretch of water.

Yikes! Found the hoard.

There were lots of cars on my destination stream too, but I know its secrets and went to an access that almost no one knows about (relatively speaking). Water was high and fast there too but not silty – decent stain.

Got another baker's dozen, but what a difference a day and a stream can make as the largest was maybe 12 inches.

UserPostedImage

Kind of an unsatisfying day if I'm being honest.

I knew the fishing last Fall was great as I was experiencing it, but this Fall being a bit off (at least for me) makes me appreciate 2018 even more.

Can't believe how many people were out in certain areas. I honestly don't run into that very often down here.

Heading to a swampy craphole stream today after work to look for bigger fish. 99% I'll have it to myself.

I won't catch 30 fish, but it will only take one or two for a great outing.

Big fan of the first trib you mentioned (if I'm correct). I've only fished it a couple times with only modest success but I really enjoyed fishing it. Plenty of structure and variety of water flow, especially the first quarter mile or so above the confluence.

I'm happy I get to fish on weekdays. Night and day difference on some of those more popular streams. I'm sure closing weekend didn't help with the hoards either.

Good luck finding a swamp monster.

- Steve
Gurth  
#952 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 3:18:54 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Smis Go to Quoted Post

Big fan of the first trib you mentioned (if I'm correct). I've only fished it a couple times with only modest success but I really enjoyed fishing it. Plenty of structure and variety of water flow, especially the first quarter mile or so above the confluence.

- Steve

I try to leave bread crumbs without naming streams. Smile

I liked it and may do it again someday. A modestly shouldered (16 inch) fish or two would have made it a great little outing.

The easement goes a little ways above my access bridge and I thought about continuing upstream - in hindsight, wish I would have coz at least I was getting steady action and there MUST be some decent fish in there somewhere.

Looking at maps makes me want to return someday and delve into that upper section - private, so will have to keep feet wet.

Edited by user Monday, October 14, 2019 3:20:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#953 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 3:26:11 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Footnote on the day is that I'm surprised at how high all of the bigger water was that I visited.

It's been a bit since the last significant rainfall unless I'm forgetting one.
Smis  
#954 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 9:02:03 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I appreciate the bread crumbs. I felt like I was able to follow your whole day through the “I’m from Illinois and I just started fly fishing the Driftless” water. It’s an area I’m very familiar with haha

- Steve
Gurth  
#955 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:01:49 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Way way WAY overdue for a correction on big fish water and it happened tonight.

Didn’t even see a fish and broke a rod.

The trout gods sent me out with a reminder that I’m not all that. Laugh

Not sure that these cool temps are great for the bite.

Oh well... I’ve had a banner year for bigs (for me) and even gotten at least one solid fish each time out on that type of water this fall. Looking forward to March after the melt settles down to get back after em.

Going to more traditional trout waters tomorrow.

Good luck to all who get out for the closer.
rschmidt  
#956 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:46:57 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Well, I had my final inland trip of 2019. Boooo!!!Angry

I was trying to be out at 2pm, but that didn't work out, so I had to change my final destination. Took a chance on a spot that I have been on only 2x this season. It started so slow. The first hour was graveyard style, but with waning light, no plan B today!

Just when I thought a 3 fish ending was gonna happen, it exploded!

UserPostedImage
This 18" fat female brown, waited about 5 seconds in her undercut hole, before absolutely molesting my #9 gold spinner. Unfortunately, it was trounced so badly that she need to be strung. Two ripped gill rakers.

I also came across an on fire colored up brookie that is easily one of my top 5 brookies in looks!
UserPostedImage

A little while after, a fully psychotic 17"+ brown came outta nowhere!
UserPostedImage

Total domination was on its mind 4 sure.

About 20 other fish to hand closed my inland 2019.

Happy fishing to all. I learned a lot again this year, about trout fishing and the great state of WI! Was fortunate to meet some new folks and hang with the great friends I have met through our obsessive hobby!!

Looking forward to a cpl more lake runner trips and Jan 4 2020!!!

R
thanks 3 users thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
Gurth on 10/15/2019(UTC), William Schlafer on 10/16/2019(UTC), billybigbilly on 10/16/2019(UTC)
weiliwen  
#957 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:16:13 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I wish I could make it out to some local Madison streams today after work for an hour, but I'm going to see Stiff Little Fingers at the Majestic Theatre tonight. My favorite punk band, I saw them twice in '79-80, and once about 10 years ago. They're still ferocious. Better Yet, famed Bay Area band The Avengers open for them. The Avengers opened for the Sex Pistols for their last show in SF back in '78.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#958 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:36:11 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

Spectacular Brookie Ron!

I have to say I've really enjoyed watching your videos on YouTube. I've learned a lot about Trout behavior watching them and it's changed my tactics and approach, even though I'm a fly rod guy. I'm always impressed how you can get within point blank range and work difficult spots around timber and obstructions to lure Trout out from their hiding spots.

Good luck up north chasing those lake run monsters.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
rschmidt on 10/16/2019(UTC)
madguy30  
#959 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:59:02 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Never made it out for that last outing this year but really cool pics from everyone.

I'll look forward to the winter season.
rschmidt  
#960 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:39:59 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Thanks Bill. I have had a ton of learning by watching too, and shit I was there. Hahaha I frequently see fish on video that i did not notice live. Also your suggestions on describing approach tactic etc. are more evident to me even when I do a poor job. And I always love editing and being able to look at things that happened at 1/60th sec frame rates. I dont do much slowmo processing or true rendering. Pretty much what happens is what u see and I cut out all the bad casts and downtime. Headed north in a week and a half. Wooohaaa. Ron