Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<102103104
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colorado to MN  
#1031 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 12:05:16 AM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I finished a very well-known stretch of river in Pierce county today. A slight stain is visible the entire day that did not hinder fishing. Caught two fish around 20" and landed a nice one around 23". The river was quite crowded but it's amazing how many people skip over the most productive water, and the biggest fish. Ended up with about 30 fish.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2020 12:06:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Life of Riley  
#1032 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 2:17:42 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Caught about 35 trout saturday on a community hole type stream in MN north of I 90(not whitewater). I'd never fished it before, but when I stopped at the bridge saw 2 trout holding in current below eating bugs I presume. Fish bit a spinner and jerkbait about the same. Water was relatively clear and I saw a pile of browns all over the place. I did catch one brookie which I didn't know existed there. I went out today closer to home and fished some more marginal water. Landed a 17" brown 20 yards upstream from the drop in. Fishing was a little slower, landed three and moved 8 others. Saw a lady walking her dog who lived there her whole life and she didn't even know trout were in there. Water had a medium stain and all fish were caught on #9 PM. I've enjoyed getting out the past two weekends and fishing all new water.
Gurth  
#1033 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 2:58:51 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Rapalas...

Here are some of the xRaps that I’ve caught trout on...

UserPostedImage

The most effective for me have been in the left column specifically the middle and lower left. Of those I prefer the smaller version when it comes to trout fishing. I believe it’s a size 6. It’s maybe 2 inches long.

They don’t seem to hit the bigger one as readily even tho they are the same colors. This variant is usually stocked at Walmart for less than somewhere like Dicks or Cabelas.

The upper left is called the River Perch and it has worked also but in the smaller size.

The right column has worked but much more sporadically.

One thing to consider when thinking about the price of these Raps is that smallies love them too and they hold up much better than Panthers.

Shadow Raps...

UserPostedImage

The orange one has been far and away the most effective of these for big browns. These come in a deep slow sinking and a shallow slow rising.

The white variant has also worked

These have caught larger browns for me than the xRaps but both have a time and place for use.

Oh yeah and walleye and pike both love Shadow Raps so again they are multi use.

I’m no expert with Raps and only recently adopted using them for trout but now I almost always have 1 rod set up with a Rap and 1 with a Panther.

I guess the most consistently effective ones have been the reddish to brown (orange) range.

That could be anecdotal but those are the ones that have worked best for me.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2020 3:04:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Smis on 3/27/2020(UTC)
Hoggies  
#1034 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 10:24:21 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I've had good luck with size 8 huskys (black/gold/orange and fire craw, which is black/red/chartreuse) and size 9 floaters (brown trout, rainbow trout, gold/black, chrome shiner, and the unfortunately discontinued bleeding copper flash).

For other brands I like the storm Jr thunderstick (black/silver) and the dynamic lures hd trout and j-spec (trout patterns and gold/black).
Hegawn  
#1035 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 3:25:34 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

Thanks for the info, especially including the photos! They will help me get around my color blindness.

I believe I have some shad raps that look like your orange one I picked up several years ago for Chipewa Flowage but they are up in my Rhinelander fishing shack. Good, now I have another reason to go back up there. There is a last hurrah last ice perch run I hate to miss out on. I'm always torn do I do jumbo perch or Driftless trout this time of year. A good problem to have although Onieda and Vilas counties now have a 14 day quarantine for folks coming up to summer homes. My neighbor is returning from Arizona. Not sure why he doesn't have to quarantine . Oh well, things are different now. Sure is nice to get out.

My physician friends and myself have independently reached the same conclusion: isolate and protect the elderly and most susceptible but don't shutter up everyone else. Under age 60 fatality rates no different than the flu. Sorry for straying off topic.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
Life of Riley  
#1036 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:45:31 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Got out today after work. Left the twin cities at 3:15 and caught over 40 browns in two hours. Nice to jump in a new creek and catch a pile. Water was gin clear. Biggest landed 15", saw one guestimate around 18-19" that nipped but didn't commit. Still had time left after my first section, but the creek I checked next was blown out. Too bad there's so much rain coming.