Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

90 Pages«<888990
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#891 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 1:49:15 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
The rains recharging the aquifers benefit spring fed creeks, which are typically far up in drainage systems. Water levels on those creeks are excellent for this time of year. Trout will always seek out favorable water temps for feeding and reproduction. I believe Trout will migrate from uncomfortable warm water to cool places upstream, and then return downstream when cooler water temps return and food is more abundant.

Rain runoff (basically flooding) lower down in the river systems over a long term has to be affecting the ecology of those systems in some way. It wasn't that long ago that the Wisconsin River got so low during the summer you could nearly wade across it near Spring Green. Traditionally the spring floods were followed by lower water levels during the heat of the summer. This year the Wisconsin River has been at high levels since the spring melt and doesn't appear to be letting up anytime soon. The interruption of that cycle may have detrimental effects.

This would be a good question to pose to DNR fish biologists.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#892 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 2:38:14 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I would think it depends on the stream. Higher gradient streams would probably have cold water further down due to extra streamflow, and streams that flatten out might have more backwater from the main stem. I am no hydrologist but my guess is that this isn't an either/or scenario.

The one thing I do know is that higher base flow should make for better spawning success in the fall in just about every stream.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#893 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 4:08:12 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Hex hatch heavy in Pierce County tonight!
BrodyHetland  
#894 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 3:00:13 AM(UTC)
BrodyHetland

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've been fishing Pierce County lots and Dunn once these past few weeks and I've struggled to find a fishable section of "good" water. The upstream sections have all had good stain, with good fishing, but my favorite big hole spots on the downstream sections have been muddy'd up for what feels like forever!

Finally found some great water tonight. I recently started making my own spinners (shoutout to Ron and Shebs) and today was the first day fishing with them. Caught maybe 4-5 on 9's and 15's in gold, but I did not move as many fish as i thought i should have. So...I humble-y put my newly tied spinners back in the box and tied on old faithful (#8 husky jerk in Gold and Black, with a good tar smudge from the time I touched the bridge) and had lights out action for the last 1/4 of the stretch i fished. I did manage to get one really nice colored up brown.

Great Colors

I am going to spend all morning on the Rush River tomorrow!
thanks 2 users thanked BrodyHetland for this useful post.
Gurth on 7/27/2019(UTC), shebs on 7/27/2019(UTC)
Jumpsuit  
#895 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:01:41 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Spent Tuesday and Wednesday around Decorah and had a good solo trip. Tuesday night saw the end of the Perseid Meteor shower and had the owls calling around the campfire . Had some stray, random storms move through but the streams and Upper Iowa River are still low and clear after all of it. Mostly spent the days kayaking from around Bluffton to Decorah but scouted and fished a few trout streams too. Got my first brood rainbow which was fun in a cheap stripper kinda way, lol. Not quite like catching a big brown but hey I'll take it. Hit some wilder water too and got lots of meh browns with a 17" being the highlight. Almost fall out, I can feel it !!😎

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Jumpsuit for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 8/16/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#896 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:32:43 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Looked at a number of Trout streams this afternoon in Dane, Iowa, Grant and parts of Richland counties in the southern Driftless Area of Wisconsin.

All looked great with good flow and moderate to light stain. Many streams are still locked in by tall streambank weeds and several were completely canopied in stretches. Despite all the rain in previous weeks, it didn't create enough high water to knock the weeds down at all. Pastures are the best ticket right now unless you can find a wadable stream.

Trout are keying in on hoppers with abandon right now. Even in full sun in the heat of the day, big Trout can be lured out with hoppers cast to overhanging grass and cut banks.

I saw only one other fisherman all day long during my tour.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, August 16, 2019 2:34:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos