Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

77 Pages«<757677
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AutobotTrainer  
#761 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:34:06 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Northeast Iowa trip 5/2-5/5

It sure it pretty up here.

Buddy and I camped in Fayette county and made the rounds. The more well known streams had plenty of traffic, so we went in search of harder access water.

The weather was perfect, after a week of slow steady rains and cold temps

UserPostedImage

The brooks and browns were consistent, and hungry. Lots of hits, many takes, plenty of nets. The colors were just awesome:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A few things that were worrisome. Mink has Japanese Knotweed almost completely taking over. Not just in the stocking turns by the road, but far up and down stream. I'm concerned this stream will be full silt in 3 or 4 years. Bank erosion is rampant. Also, the section with the nice pools and runs on the pasture land now has a strong herd of AGGRESSIVE horses. Not sure how much fishing will be done there anytime soon.

Glover is as wonderful as ever, and has some real gems if you go off the path a bit.

UserPostedImage

Lastly, I don't think Grannis will ever make it back to the stream it was 4 years ago. The flash floods there have destroyed the big holes. Sad.

Can't wait to get out a dozen more times before the Wild Parsnip and Thistle gets knee high.
No thing created by man is infallible.
billybigbilly  
#762 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 3:26:03 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I really like the first picture, it does look like a beautiful stream, looks like a fun trip and aggressive horses? I know cows can be ornery but now I have to keep an eye out for horses?
big_river_bum  
#763 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 4:20:06 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
I really like the first picture, it does look like a beautiful stream, looks like a fun trip and aggressive horses? I know cows can be ornery but now I have to keep an eye out for horses?

i once had a horse bite me in richland county

i also once had a horse bite my car in vernon county. bite mark is still on the hood
Jumpsuit  
#764 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 12:51:53 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks for the update autobot, good to see some pics of some familiar Iowa streams !
billybigbilly  
#765 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 3:42:34 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post

i once had a horse bite me in richland county

i also once had a horse bite my car in vernon county. bite mark is still on the hood

Dang, I bet that's a good conversation starter!
Gurth  
#766 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 6:12:19 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Much needed change of pace this morning saw me on a favorite small stream.

UserPostedImage

Started in a brookie section and thought last night’s rain would bring up the water level/volume. It didn’t, but I fished the stretch anyway and got a few brookies including some nice ones…

UserPostedImage

Water was pretty slack and shallow in many spots and the trout weren’t really coming out to play much.

I had bought a few ice fishing spoons that I thought looked trouty and planned to use vertically in spots that I couldn’t hit a spinner with.

Tried these in the slack water and sort of jigged them back (in some ways, like a streamer) and on this day and in these conditions, got far more action and hits on this new lure…

UserPostedImage

They don’t cast well (accurately) and don’t sink very fast, but definitely something I need to explore further.

The other issue was missing strikes. Most hits on spinners almost set themselves but at least you usually have a chance to set before they are off.

The jigging nature of the retrieve on the spoons meant that I would need to hit the set most of the time and I missed a few. Reps should fix this.

Really glad to add this to the arsenal. In a funny way, it felt more like “fishing” than just a straight retrieve and I was able to watch a few of the strikes... and still missed at least a couple lol.

Finished the brookie stretch and headed downstream to a mixed section. The water was at better volume and had a nice stain and I was jacked to see that. At that moment, the first rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance.

Scrambled to fish a bit and got two nice browns and a couple more brookies and then a bright flash lit the sky and I slinked back to the van.

Bummed coz it was a lock to be a big fish count day.

I’d go back out now, but have a grad party to go to.

Them's the breaks.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 6:32:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/19/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#767 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 9:34:58 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
No water fish round here. All mud. R
William Schlafer  
#768 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:53:10 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Nice looking Brookies Gurth! ThumpUp

Drove up to Vernon county this morning. Arrived just as the rain did and ended up fishing in the wet for the next three hours. Was hoping for a nice stain in the water, but all the streams I looked at today were crystal clear. I was told that other parts of the area got more rain last night, and those streams were either muddy or stained.

UserPostedImage

While the rain was coming down the bite was fairly strong. Caught a couple of nice Browns with the Woolly Bugger. The wind was clipping along at 20mph+ so casting the Bugger was easier than smaller and lighter fare.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Despite the rain and wind, it was nice to not have to wear the big floppy hat and sun gloves. When the wind died down and the rain stopped, I started see risers, so I switched over to dry flies. BWO and small Caddis patterns were working OK, but they really seemed to like this Two Feather generic Mayfly pattern I tied up this winter. Always satisfying to catch Trout on files I've tied with my own hands.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Visited a couple streams I haven't fished in several years. They both got hammered in the flood last summer. Some sections are completely rearranged and unrecognizable from what they looked like before. Tons of soil and rock were moved around and entire stands of mature trees were swept away, roots and all. In places, debris was piled up 20 feet high or more. Incredible power of water.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Best Trout of the day came out from under this rock, grabbed my fly and spat it out before I could even blink. That's fishing, I guess.
UserPostedImage

The forecast for SW Wisconsin tonight is heavy rain and thunderstorms, so I decided to cut the trip short. Stopped by the park in Viola and talked to Trap and a few other DTA members for a awhile before heading home. I could see lightning in my rear view mirror during most of the trip back to Milwaukee.

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:58:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos