Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

39 Pages«<373839
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#381 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 5:57:45 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does anyone know how the (big) Kickapoo feeders are doing? I really want to get out there tomorrow but want it to be worth the drive to at least have safe water to wade around in.
William Schlafer  
#382 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 6:11:47 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 25 post(s)
With the promise of warmer weather on Sunday I was thinking of getting out also. There doesn't seem to be much snow on the ground:

UserPostedImage

But any of the bigger streams could be affected by snow melt or frozen ground releasing cold water into the stream - shutting down fishing. The further upstream you go, the less likely this is to be a factor and more likely to find stable temperatures closer to the ground water sources that feed into the creek.

Sun is the key, as it will warm up the water a bit which usually triggers the fish to start feeding.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Hoggies  
#383 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:11:29 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

I may get out around Preston on Sunday, but my wife and I are home with the new baby and our 6 y/o has a bad head & chest cold.
Gurth  
#384 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:20:26 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know how the (big) Kickapoo feeders are doing? I really want to get out there tomorrow but want it to be worth the drive to at least have safe water to wade around in.

That's my dilemma...

Drive far to better water and still risk a slow day or even a shutout (although you're only worried about wadeable water, not the bite).

Stay closer to home on lesser water and drive less but have a greater chance for slow day or shutout.

I should just stay home this weekend and get other stuff done, but I'm always overly optimistic of my chances and then bitch at myself at the end of the day coz I should have known better.

I DID know better.

But… this weekend could be great! Laugh

Edited by user Friday, February 16, 2018 7:21:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 2/21/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#385 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:30:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 25 post(s)
It's such a tough call. Spend six hours driving for a couple hours fishing is a bargain I easily make in April or May. But it's tough to get there in this cold weather and find the Trout shut down. At least in the spring if the river is blown out you can usually drive around and find some fishable water.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#386 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:11:16 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Yeah... I knew better. Laugh

At least I didn't get shutout - one 11 incher.

Went to a couple of the better streams southwest of Madison and the fish weren't playing. Or at least not with me.

Got two bites and landed the one. He didn't put up much of a fight either. Pretty lethargic.

Last winter was so much warmer.

Oh well... it's almost March.

madguy30  
#387 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:33:04 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Took the drive and had a nice time in the snow on a couple of Kickapoo Valley streams.

Was weird--the east trib was running pretty normal and clear, the west trib which is basically the same type of stream/water was running that tan color that usually goes with early snowmelt. Fish were lethargic but around and I'm looking forward to warmer temps when I don't have to do so much prep just to fish.

I did remind myself that tenkara is the way to go in winter...mixed things up with my 4 weight since I hadn't used it this year and immediately went back to having to clean out the eyes, get cold fingers from line management, etc.

Saw no risers but caught maybe 30ish fish in 4ish hours on ugly beadheads and had to end early when I noticed that feeling in my feet wasn't just cold water outside of the stockings.

Luckily I was close to my car anyway and the the water was at least warmer than the air. It will be a while before I fish anyway so will be on the hunt for new waders in the mean time. Any suggestions on good quality/reliable waders that don't break the bank are appreciated. I refuse to go down the $500 rabbit hole. That's never seemed to make a difference for durability.
Hoggies  
#388 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:00:01 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

http://www.cabelas.com/p...reg/2421171.uts?slotId=1

I have these. I like them. Wish they made them in size MT, though. I have the LT and they're pretty roomy in the waist.
NBrevitz  
#389 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:38:37 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
A lot of shelf ice still in Dunn County today, but the open stuff was clear and fishing well. Large portions of the S Hay Watershed were frozen thick enough to walk on, I tried it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#390 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:47:47 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Took the drive...

Yeah... if I'm gonna go out, I need to do the same.

Sounds like you had a great day.