Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

93 Pages«<919293
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#921 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:11:08 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Found.great water in Grant today in the tribs. Fish were just nibbling though to the point of madness. Probably interacted with 40 trout but only landed 5. Worst short striking/messing with me I’ve ever encountered/endured.

Seriously frustrated at times.

Silver lining... everyone here at deer camp is in bed (coz they have to get up much earlier than me) and I’m watching the storm roll in up here on a ridge above the Blue.

Yeah... another great day in the Driftless.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#922 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:37:50 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Big water that I saw this weekend was blown out and chocolate.

Tribs/smaller waters were all nicely stained and fishable.

Short window this morning between getting up a bit late and game at noon but managed a dozen browns. No short striking today.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
MN Driftless  
#923 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 10:33:40 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I fished in southeast MN on Saturday AM: clean enough water to nymph, willing fish, cool weather. The section was a traditional H.I spot. Lots of plunges, lunkers, and rock.

Love good H.I. and so do the trout.
JGF  
#924 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 2:48:09 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I was around La Crosse and Vernon counties Saturday and water was in (surprisingly) great shape. I fished a stream known for almost always being clean and it was gin clear. I expected it to be in decent shape but I didn't expect gin clear water.

Had some great fishing - probably 2 dozen fish in just a couple of hours including a couple of decent browns and a really nice brookie.
William Schlafer  
#925 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:01:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Took a little drive today and checked out some Trout streams in SW Wisconsin.

The creeks in Sauk and Richland counties were noticeably higher than last month, with the water pushing up into the grass in places. There was a moderate to heavy stain with about a foot of visibility. The further north and west I went, the clearer the creeks became. The springs are really pumping out the water right now. It's unusual to find these creeks to high this late in the year. But this bodes well for the rest of the season. Good water levels means healthy streams and Trout.

UserPostedImage

I should've slept in a couple more hours. There was heavy fog along the Wisconsin river and the up into the trib valleys. It was wet and cool until the sun finally burned through. The fishing was very slow until around 10:30AM when the terrestrials began to move and hit the water in numbers sufficient to get the Trout looking up.
UserPostedImage

The creeks in western Richland and eastern Vernon counties were running clear to slightly stained and also had great flow. The bite was a little off today for some reason. Perhaps the sun was the limiting factor, although the bite in the shade wasn't much better. Also had lots of misses and short strikes. For some reason they just weren't committing to eating the fly. Darker colored higher contrast hoppers in dark purple and dark green were more effective than yellow or pink.

I managed to catch a few decent Trout, so the trip was worthwhile.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Only saw one other person fishing today. Last week was much busier, for some reason.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos