Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<9899100101102>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colorado to MN  
#991 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 2:03:55 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
I would say the brook trout is a bit more migratory than browns. Also, in general the push toward spawn will concentrate fish in communities which also increases the size distribution. And last, things consistently change from year to year. I get to many new streams each year, sometimes there are unexpected surprises, but I have seen brook trout in decline the past few years where I fish. Happy Fishing, you can't catch any from the couch! Hahahaha

Do you have any ideas regarding the reason for the brook trout decline? Spring flooding? Farm run off?
NBrevitz  
#992 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 2:40:09 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Life of Riley Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
I just don’t have the drive to fish right now. I’ve gotten so into the trophy Brookie game that it’s basically all I do. Unfortunately, everything I fish for them is frozen up very hard right now, or the fish are wintering downstream of there in frozen streams.

It’s hard for me to get excited about cookie cutter Brookies when I’ve got my sled and thousands of lakes to fish. Throw in the fact that I just don’t fish for Brown Trout anymore, and I doubt I’ll be out more than once or twice until mid-March.

As a hypothetical, do you think if you could try a stream right now with big brook trout you could catch some? I'm just asking because I notice that in some of Ron's videos I've seen, he seems to catch the big brook trout in the summer and fall only.

You absolutely could, and I even know a couple spots that were probably open until that hard freeze last week. That said, Ron is correct in that Brook Trout and especially big Brook Trout are very migratory. Also, most of my trophy spots have a lot of slack water, so they freeze up like a bitch during normal weather, and they’d almost be walkable after a polar vortex.

I did get out and catch a bunch of Brookies in about an hour yesterday, but when they’re running 6 inches, I’d rather go jumping in some ditches or catch some Whitefish.

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen  
#993 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:51:30 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
At least the recent snow will help kick down some of the brush alongside the streams. I went to one local stream on Opening Weekend, and it was nearly as bad as mid-summer!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
rschmidt  
#994 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 2:18:33 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post

Do you have any ideas regarding the reason for the brook trout decline? Spring flooding? Farm run off?

My guess I 2 fold. Floods destroying habitat. I also think it is cyclical. The water seems cold enough, but I wonder about consecutive year class mortality. May be just where I fish too though. Happy fishing.
NBrevitz  
#995 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 2:50:59 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

I would say the brook trout is a bit more migratory than browns. Also, in general the push toward spawn will concentrate fish in communities which also increases the size distribution. And last, things consistently change from year to year. I get to many new streams each year, sometimes there are unexpected surprises, but I have seen brook trout in decline the past few years where I fish. Happy Fishing, you can't catch any from the couch! Hahahaha

I think it’s spring flooding, farm runoff (especially a couple streams I fish that had undocumented kills), and then finally just winter stress.

2013 and 2014 were very rough winters with late, cold springs. Very poor conditions for fry. As a junior in high school (13), my school’s baseball team played less than 10 games all year, several were canceled due to snow and the field wasn’t cleared of snow until into April. Streams were flooding left and right due to heavy runoff and extremely deep frost. Anchor ice was a huge problem on marginal systems. The Rush was frozen on C&R opener in March. It was a rough year...

Brook Trout have a relatively fixed life cycle with a general maximum of 6 years. I have noticed a decline in the biggest fish for the past couple years, those fish that would’ve been born in 2013 or 2014, but I saw lots of quality fish last year. 2015 was a typical winter with an early spring and 2016 was a record early spring. We should see lots of big fish in the next couple years, but we’ll probably see a decline again in 2023 and 2024, at least on those marginal streams Ron and I fish. Brookies are definitely cyclical on a lot of systems.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#996 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 12:39:58 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)

Brook Trout are generally in decline throughout North America, for a variety of reasons. Here's a WDNR document regrading changes in Trout habitat and water resources in the Driftless Area and the long-term decline of Brook Trout waters:

https://dnr.wi.gov/files...F/pubs/lf/LF0071_Ch2.pdf

Around page 2-8 they dig into explanations for the changes. Rising water temps and prolific Brown Trout growth are major factors, along with human factors, invasive species and general climate change. The data is a bit dated. Maybe someday they will update the report.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#997 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 2:52:30 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

^^^
This is why I’m not in favor of stocking Browns into water with natural Brookies. They’re getting clobbered as it is.
Gurth  
#998 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:46:21 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Had an hour to fish tonight before dark.

Water was surprisingly low and clear considering the melt that must have happened over the weekend.

Was blustery and cold but I managed a couple of really nice big hens so was worth the time. Outstanding little outing.

I’m guessing that the conditions should be pretty great this weekend as temps are supposed to remain consistent.

I plan to be on the ice but maybe I can sneak in a stretch or two on a stream.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:33:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#999 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 2:11:16 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Back to Shutoutsville today.

Water looked great and I moved a couple of fish but no one wanted to play.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#1000 Posted : Saturday, February 29, 2020 5:34:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Any stream reports from SW Wisconsin?

From what I've heard the bottom halves of the larger streams and rivers are pretty much blown out with snow melt. Seems like later next week this shouldn't be a factor with the warmer forecast and the quickly disappearing snow cover. And as a plus, we get an extra hour of sunlight on the 8th with DST beginning.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos