Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
csolf  
#151 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:52:22 AM(UTC)
csolf

Had a trip planned this weekend to grant county. Dont mind the water being a bit cloudy, but is it just totally blown out right now?
Gurth  
#152 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:27:43 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
shebs wrote:
UserPostedImage

That's a lotta water.

Looks like y'all might have to come SE to find good water for once. Flapper
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
William Schlafer  
#153 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:55:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
csolf wrote:
Had a trip planned this weekend to grant county. Dont mind the water being a bit cloudy, but is it just totally blown out right now?

No first hand report, but the smaller streams in Iowa and Grant counties might be doable. However, there is another 1/2" of rain forecast for Friday night through Saturday. Given how saturated the area is already, it won't take much to color up the bigger rivers like the Blue and Big Green. Some of the creeks in western Dane county that got less rain might clear up by Sunday.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#154 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 6:27:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Fished an Iowa county stream today. The water was up 4-6" but had a perfect stain with about 15" of visibility. It rained pretty hard while I was there and the stream got a little more turbid but not too bad for a creek with freshly plowed fields nearby.

I also checked out a south-western Dane county stream earlier in the day. The water levels there and several other streams in the area looked near normal, but the water was heavily stained.

And oh yeah... the gnats and biting flies were out if force. Break out the bug spray and head nets!!

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, May 22, 2017 6:28:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
tedwin183  
#155 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:30:30 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

William Schlafer wrote:
Fished an Iowa county stream today. The water was up 4-6" but had a perfect stain with about 15" of visibility. It rained pretty hard while I was there and the stream got a little more turbid but not too bad for a creek with freshly plowed fields nearby.

I also checked out a south-western Dane county stream earlier in the day. The water levels there and several other streams in the area looked near normal, but the water was heavily stained.

And oh yeah... the gnats and biting flies were out if force. Break out the bug spray and head nets!!

-Bill

The creeks near Fennimore have been awful for noseeums already.
big_river_bum  
#156 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 3:43:23 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

had clear water around me this weekend. Wednesday everything around Viroqua was too stained for my tastes so I headed south.

these 2 guys came out from under the same log. 19" on the bigger fish. the hole continued upstream for 1/2 mile. incredibl.....y hard to fish and stay in the stream.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and yes. the biting gnats have been terrible
William Schlafer  
#157 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 12:00:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Those are three nice looking Brown Trout! With the muddy/stained water region-wide, dark colored streamers and leech patterns have been real effective in getting the bigger fish to bite.

-Bill
Knotworking  
#158 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 11:35:06 AM(UTC)
Knotworking

Same conditions yesterday Bill. Had great fishing with light to no pressure in Fennimore. Paid the price with the biting gnats or noseeums. Thankfully packed the buff. Have a ring of red around the eyes and lower cheeks still today swollen...and it certainly was not sun burn.
Gurth  
#159 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:11:37 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Knotworking wrote:
Same conditions yesterday Bill. Had great fishing with light to no pressure in Fennimore. Paid the price with the biting gnats or noseeums. Thankfully packed the buff. Have a ring of red around the eyes and lower cheeks still today swollen...and it certainly was not sun burn.

I was around there today and pretty much had the major river to the west all to myself. Well... me and the gnats anyway - who only bit occasionally and mostly just tried to get in my hair, ears and eyes.

By the end of the day I was pretty good at ignoring them.

EDIT: Bizarre though in that I'm seeing phantom gnat trails in my peripheral.

Edited by user Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
madguy30  
#160 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 7:05:32 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Looking for suggestions on if the Galena, Platte, Grant, etc. are unfishable or if I should check out trout streams in the Viola area...I think the drive time is the same for me.

Madison lakes are caked with pleasure boaters, water and noise pollution, and any decent sized rivers within 30-60 minutes look to be in awful shape. I know the Sugar and Wisconsin are anyway.

Frustrating month.