Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

18 Pages «<15161718>
*Official Stream conditions thread* Options
big_river_bum
#161 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:21:13 AM

saw 2 otters on the stream today. that was a first for me. only ever seen them on the big river
William Schlafer
#162 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:40:37 PM

big_river_bum wrote:
saw 2 otters on the stream today. that was a first for me. only ever seen them on the big river

I started seeing Otters on one of my favorite small stream about three years ago. Really startled me the first time I saw one. They move through the water like lightning and are very entertaining to watch. Otters don't seem to have affected the fish population much there, although I've heard stories about them cleaning out ponds. I think they harass and drive Beavers away too, which is a good thing.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth
#163 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:56:08 PM

A couple weeks back, I was standing in very shallow (2-4 inches) riffles on a big stream casting at a giant pool at dusk when out of the corner of my eye I see a shape moving UP the riffles just to my right and behind me. Startled me coz it was completely unexpected.

My first thought was a big fish slithering up the rocks.

Nope - obviously not but the brain plays tricks.

Was an otter and it scampered right past my boots and swam right through the area I was casting. Believe he even thumbed his nose at me and snickered.

I laughed as I cursed him out.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
madguy30
#164 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:39:36 PM

Love otters. More fun to watch them than fishing a lot of the time.

I always figured if otters are the reason a stream is lacking fish, it's not a very good fishery.

They eat by means, not like humans do. :)
OTC_MN
#165 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 4:23:43 AM

Many years ago fishing muskies on Lac Suel, two friends of mine were fishing after dark in a bay where they'd seen a giant muskie several times during their trip. It was their last night, leaving in the morning, so this was their last shot. Lac Suel at night is a spooky place. No lights around you whatsoever (on that part of the lake anyhow) and it's God's own rock garden as far as navigating. There's a high pucker factor and a real risk of smacking a rock even during the day, and at night, it's flat out terrifying. But, the fish was huge and the bay was right next to camp, so they took their chances.

Almost to the end of the bay, both guys fishing noisy, slow moving topwaters. Guy in front is cranking his in - kwaka-kawaka-kawak-KAWOOSH. Line goes peeling off, guy's yelling "I got her! I got her!" Mad scramble in the boat for the net and a flashlight. By the time they got the flashlight switched on it was right next to the boat. Guy turns on the flashlight and shines it over the side just in time to see a big ball of wet fur and white teeth start to come over the side.

One guy went off one end of the boat, the other guy went off the other, they both swam to shore, walked along shore back to camp, and used a friend's boat to go get theirs when it got light out the next morning.

Very, very angry otter was nowhere to be found.
Blink
rschmidt
#166 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:50:34 PM

Yea, your not holding an otter on 50# test let alone anything trout sized. I had one snatch a big fathead minnow i was using to fish for pike. Shreek and snap after about 5 seconds on 17lb braid. No chance. I saw another big azz beaver this weekend. He however didn't give a care I was there. No slapping the water or other emergency. Just swam on by. I have had them hit my legs with out seeing them, and that will make u shit your waders. hahaha Woot

R
big_river_bum
#167 Posted : Wednesday, June 07, 2017 2:12:54 PM

haven't been out much lately. was out sunday the 28th and counted dozens of cars between lax and home. found the smallest water I could. this stretch used to have a few nice holes. all gone now. walked half hour til I found one. caught this brown and kept him since this tiny water should be a bastion for brookies. saw them in there but no takers. prettiest brown I've caught this year. meat was white though ThumbDown

yesterday went out at 5am. water is still high as heck, but clear on this Crawford county stream. not a ton of fish, but those that bit were all so fat and strong. didn't even have to set the hook. they'd grab the bugger and run. first fish was this 19" brown. fattest fish I've ever caught. couldn't get my big paw around him. really put my 4wt glass to the limit. took 5 minutes to even get him off the bottom.

this morning went out in Vernon county. again water so so high. dirty. almost unfishable. this stream's been dirty all year long and may stay that way from now on. only a few fish. biggest was 16" maybe.

I'm certain that yesterday there were tricos all over. clouds of them. seems early though, right? itty bitty mayflies.clear wings. few cahills out too. and my june grass allergies finally kicked in....ugh. miserable
SquareEgg
#168 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 7:58:48 PM

Anyone get into any hippy stomper hatches lately? I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend, itching for a stomper hatch.
William Schlafer
#169 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:21:31 PM

SquareEgg wrote:
Anyone get into any hippy stomper hatches lately? I'm hoping to get out this coming weekend, itching for a stomper hatch.

Yup! The Tigers are biting on Hippie Stompers!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
SquareEgg
#170 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:03:35 AM

William Schlafer wrote:
SquareEgg wrote:

Yup! The Tigers are biting on Hippie Stompers!

-Bill

Well alright! I'm sold.