Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

31 Pages«<28293031>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#291 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:09:51 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Can't believe how good the fishing has been since about 9/1.

Another 37 to hand today which had me pass 600 on the year. I've got 4 more planned days. Maybe pass 700 at this rate.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
weiliwen  
#292 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 8:50:08 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I made a quick trip up yesterday, and also had excellent fishing, although not in Gurth's numbers! User error, I'd say, LOL. I started on a river to the east of Hwy 14, and hit the spot where I did well the weekend of Trapfest. It was harder fishing at first. The river was low and clear, and I usually saw fish as they scurried away from me. I finally got my groove on, and started catching nice fat browns (caught one brookie last visit to this spot), including three in a pool dominated by a huge fallen tree - plenty of cover, I guess. No huge ones caught, biggest about 15", but I'll bet a nickel there's a 20"er in there.

Then I went to a stream west of Hwy 14 in the last hour of daylight. This river was definitely running higher, some grass along the riverbank was submerged, and a tiny bit more color. That, combined with the ever heavier rain, must have put the trout at ease, because the catching was quite good. I pulled one 17" brown out of this section, along with a half dozen others. By my meager standards, that was pretty good. I did not notice any spawning colors on the trout, though.

I caught every fish on pink squirrels; the other flies I had used successfully in September had no response from the trout, curiously enough. I had tied a bunch up last week, some with bead heads that were a size larger than the hook, in an effort to get the fly down to the bottom. This tactic was, shall we say, too successful, as I lost most of those on the bottom. But they're cheap and easy flies to tie. I also noticed that, unlike earlier in the season, the fish yesterday preferred a slimmer pink squirrel, not the chunky version I usually fish with.

I won't be able to make it up next week, so my season is done. I hope for a warm January!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#293 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 11:54:07 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

weiliwen wrote:
I made a quick trip up yesterday, and also had excellent fishing, although not in Gurth's numbers! User error, I'd say, LOL.

By my meager standards, that was pretty good. !

Ha. Laugh

I think that 37 was my second best day ever. I'd say my average day is less than 10 fish.

Today, for instance, I snuck out for a couple hours and only got 4... all around 11 inches.

Was a bonus though and not one of my final four days out.

Tomorrow I go to better water and for longer.
William Schlafer  
#294 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:32:38 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
Can't believe how good the fishing has been since about 9/1.

Another 37 to hand today which had me pass 600 on the year. I've got 4 more planned days. Maybe pass 700 at this rate.

Damn, you guys are killing me. I've been on the east coast for a business trip for the last four weeks, and heading back today for more. No time to fish. I'm hoping to be back before the weekend to sneak in one outing before the season ends. I've missed some of the best fall fishing in years.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#295 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:02:56 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

William Schlafer wrote:

Damn, you guys are killing me.

Well... you won't want to hear this then...

Stream I went to was stained from the rain but not really any higher than normal.

19 fish to hand by 11:30 at the first section that I hit, but unlike other recent days, the bite tailed off after lunch.

Only 6 more until 2:00 at another section of the same stream.

24 browns and 1 rainbow. At least half of the browns were well over 12 inches and several were in the 14 inch range. Also got an 18 incher.

I'll take it!

And yeah... this is exceptional at least for me.

Took the whole final week off last year and fished every day and maybe got 50 fish total for the week.

Hope you can get out this coming weekend Bill.

Edited by user Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:08:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#296 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 6:17:37 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Just to illustrate how much I know RollEyes about trout and fishing for them, I 'll share…

Silty conditions along with full sun can effectively blind the fish sort of like turning your high-beams on in fog. I've heard this on podcasts and read it in books. It also makes logical sense to me.

In conditions like these, fish the margins and in shade if possible.

Yesterday featured just such conditions – silt and BRIGHT sun - so I was happy to see that the stretch I was on had shady patches due to lone trees here or there and that eventually I'd be beneath a ridge where it would be all shade.

Guess what the trout did?

They were extremely active in the sunny pools below riffles and even in the riffles themselves and better yet, in the middle of the current.

The shady areas, which many were only shady because of the time of day and the lone tree happening to be in the right spot at that time, produced almost nothing.

Was probably 5 to 1 in favor of sunny spots.

Even caught the 18 incher in a sun blasted hole while the murky, deep and shady pool on a bend where I just know that a beast lurks produced… nothing.

Just when you think you have it figured out…

Laugh

Of course in hindsight I'm guessing some sort of sub-surface hatch (no bugs up top) that the sunlight set off.

In all honesty, I know there will always be more to learn and that the fish will always surprise me. That's a big part of what keeps this fun.

I know nothing.

Edited by user Monday, October 9, 2017 6:47:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#297 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:50:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I've got Friday off and a clear calendar until Monday.

Hope the rain is only intermittent.

Anyone else getting out for the finale?
Gurth  
#298 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:07:27 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

House is ready for Badger gathering tonight and it looks like maybe the last nice stretch of weather, so going out to transitional/warm(er) water down south to give it a go.

50 degrees in December?

Yes please and thank you.

Edited by user Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:08:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#299 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 10:15:47 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

That ^ ...was an incredibly good decision.

Beautiful day and lots of action.

mbchilton  
#300 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 10:33:57 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I also got into a few today. No pics, but fished marginal water and found some hungry streamer eaters. I feast out from 2-4. Seemed to really slow down after 3:30 when it started to cool down.