Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

34 Pages«<3031323334>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#311 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 4:45:03 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
It needs to be above freezing for me to hit the streams. And little or no wind. Even a mild breeze can turn a cold day into a miserable one. All I could manage last year at TrapFest was some photos of streams (taken a short distance from my warm car). The only actual fisherman I saw all day was on the Timber Coulee. Air temp was in the single digits.

-Bill

Haha. C'mon Bill... imagine all the streams you could have to yourself.

Meant to go further west than I did last year on the opener, but I stopped at Otter at dawn for just a bit and never managed to leave despite getting nothing till the end of my day...

UserPostedImage

Only fish I got all day, but was out from dawn till about 3:00 and pretty comfortable to be honest. Even had gloves off for good chunks of the day.

I was the only idiot... er... fisherman I saw all day.

It will have to be well below zero to keep my home opening weekend.

Can't wait to visit a couple of my favorite haunts that I haven't seen in a whole 10 weeks. Laugh

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#312 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:02:58 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
It needs to be above freezing for me to hit the streams. And little or no wind. Even a mild breeze can turn a cold day into a miserable one. All I could manage last year at TrapFest was some photos of streams (taken a short distance from my warm car). The only actual fisherman I saw all day was on the Timber Coulee. Air temp was in the single digits.

-Bill

Haha. C'mon Bill... imagine all the streams you could have to yourself.

Yeah. Old age is making me more cautious every year. I have this vision of breaking my leg and slowly freezing to death as the wolves and buzzards circle my carcass.

Blink

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#313 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:56:39 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

all work and no fishing makes bill a dull boy
EddieRivard  
#314 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 4:41:08 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I remember last January's opener very well William. I went out in the morning by myself and got skunked fishing a small stream with very little in the way of deep wintering holes. That's when I went back to the Westby Rod and Gun Club to regroup and wake up Skimmer. I barely knew him at the time but I could tell that he was cut from good stock. We left the Westby Rod and Gun Club around 11am or so. I was itching to get back out on the water but Skimmer insisted that he needed breakfast. We finished Breakfast in Westby around 12:30pm and set out a grinnin' to find us some trout. By that time the sun was shining high in the sky and even though the temps were still frigid it didn't feel so bad with the sun hitting the little bit of exposed skin that I had. We made our way to a stream that was highly influenced by spring flow and had a deeper holes. It wasn't long before I was catching trout. I caught trout consistently for about two hours. I remember Skimmer having some issues but even with all that he still managed a brown trout. Eventually we switched spots for one last crack at it. I cast a heavily weighted yellow streamer into the top of the hole and began slowly stripping it in. Just enough movement was applied to give it some action but not too much because I wanted it to stay down. That's when it hit. It ended up being the longest Brook Trout that this master angler has ever caught on a hook and line. Measuring in at a whopping 15 and 3/4 inches is was a great way to start the year. But that wasn't the only thing great about how the year started.

When you make and amazing catch while fishing with someone else it doesn't matter if it's a buddy that you've fished with 100 times or if it's just some random dude that you drug out of bed and forced him to go fishing with you. The shared experience cements the bond that you share with that person for life. I'm happy to say that Skimmer and I are now friends for life.
UserPostedImage

Back in my door to door sales days I made a few sales but more importantly I learned a ton about human interaction. Oftentimes at the beginning of the day one of the managers would try to pep us up with talks about how to perform better. One of the talks that I distinctly remember was about a phenomena called, "Bad Newsing". When people talk about stumbling blocks in a negative tone to their peers it can soon leave the entire group feeling disenchanted about the task laid out before them. The manager recommended that if we do bring up challenging scenarios it was important to also say how we faced the challenge with a positive outlook and battled to overcome it. There is probably a perfect range of temperature for winter fishing and I'm willing to bet that it is not going to occur at this years Winter Trapfest. I am also willing to bet that I will overcome the condition based challenges and catch myself some trout.

Twas the night before opener and just for some fun, Eddie shared his secrets at the Westby Rod and Gun.
Trapper was there with his note pad and pen, He wanted to learn from the man among men.

Edited by user Thursday, December 28, 2017 4:49:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Making an awesome post even awesomer.

William Schlafer  
#315 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:17:47 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Uh oh... Eddie the poet strikes again. BigGrin

There's one stream I might fish next Saturday, if conditions are reasonable. It's easy to get to from the roadway and has several small spring seeps feeding it. Trout love those spots in cold weather as they provide stabilizing water temps. Add a bit of mid-day warmth, and there's your winter fishing window. May only last a couple hours - but that's the game this time of year.

Last year at TrapFest I visited this same stream, but most of it was frozen over. The shallower fast water sections were open, but Trout wouldn't be hanging out there in January. The big holes and deeper runs were inaccessible.

If the forecast holds, the 6th is supposed to be the warmest day for several weeks: 20 degrees around Viroqua, 25 degrees in Madison. That might be enough to energize the Trout and open up some water.

-Bill

RIP Tom Petty.

Edited by user Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:18:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Tom Petty

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#316 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:23:19 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Just the chance to bask in the glow of Eddie is almost enough to get me to Trapfest. Laugh

Alas.. my territory south of the Big River demands my presence on the big day.

And yes.... I will find trout. Many more than last year as I will be hitting better spots.

Otter was poor all year in 17 for some reason. Had done very well there in years past.

There's noticeably more silt coming from Flint this year though. A LOT more silt.

No doubt that's a part of it.

Anyway, hopefully I can get to Troutstock!
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
outdoorbobby  
#317 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:43:54 AM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

Are streams open anywhere? I live in Manitowoc County now and driving from Eau Claire County I did not see a single stream with open water.. kind of getting worried!
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
rschmidt  
#318 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:31:58 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have looked a bit. Some skim and shelf ice but should fish somewhere. It is likely to be rough and slow or dead round here. Happy Fishing! R
William Schlafer  
#319 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:58:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I asked my nephew (who lives in the area) and he said most of the bigger streams and rivers are frozen solid. But the smaller ones in valleys with steeper grades may be open, or at least have a few open spots. You might find some open water where warmer ground spring water feeds into streams. Pools below impoundments might be open also.

The weather forecast for Saturday looks brutal with temps most of the day in the single digits. However, Sunday is supposed to be warmer with a chance of snow. A tough opening weekend no matter what.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:00:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

EddieRivard  
#320 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2018 6:46:00 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It would be so easy to let cold weather discourage you from achieving your destiny at Trapfest. It would have been easy for the Scottish to run from the might of the English army.