Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<4041424344>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#411 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2018 11:46:36 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Wow, today was even more fun than yesterday. First, I stopped by my secret spot (it can't be too secret, there's a parking lot right in front of it!), and on the first cast with a Mickey Finn of all things, caught a fat 15" brown. That hole being what it was, that's all it took to put any other fish down, I was very pleased.

On my way south, I did indeed pass Boscobel, and you're 100% correct, it was gin clear and a mere trickle. I ended up catching a brown the size of my thumb, and soon gave up on it.

I decided to try the Blue, but first thought I'd drive along County Road Q along Castle Rock Creek. As I drove downstream, it looked better and better, so at one pullout I decided to stop and fish. I had a fish on right away, and it ended up being about 10". Nothing special, you might say, but I looked at it for about 15 seconds trying to figure out what was going on - it was a rainbow! I had heard there were some rainbows in the Blue River, but have fished a half dozen times in Castle Rock Creek and have only caught browns.

The next cast, I saw something flash and felt a bump on my line. Second cast, same thing. Third cast, and Bam, a big fish. It was another Rainbow, and officially my biggest Driftless fish at 17 1/2". I was ecstatic! Rainbow.jpg (3,640kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Hopefully you can see this guy - he was beautifully colored up. I took a while to revive him, and he finally swam away. I only caught a chub after that, but my day was made.

Edited by user Thursday, March 8, 2018 1:49:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 2 users thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 3/4/2018(UTC), EddieRivard on 3/4/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#412 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 12:17:05 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
👍sounds like a great day Weiliwen

Dunn County was absolute fire today. Brookies were smacking dries, streamers, and spinners. Several fish up and over 12”. The bite didn’t shut off until 3!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 2 users thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/4/2018(UTC), EddieRivard on 3/4/2018(UTC)
madguy30  
#413 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 1:28:57 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

Dunn County was absolute fire today. Brookies were smacking dries, streamers, and spinners. Several fish up and over 12”. The bite didn’t shut off until 3!

I'm excited for daylight savings...I might be able to get after work for a bit with the sun being higher longer.
thanks 2 users thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/4/2018(UTC), EddieRivard on 3/4/2018(UTC)
shebs  
#414 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 1:41:19 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Was out today in pierce county. Streams were clear and noticeably warmer than last week. Started slow, but the bite picked up mid afternoon when the midges and stoneflies started popping off. Landed 40 or so between Ron and I, nothing huge, but a good day for sure. Upper 40s and sunny, it almost feels like spring!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#415 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 3:12:33 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

I'm excited for daylight savings...I might be able to get after work for a bit with the sun being higher longer.

For sure! The melt had to be what shut them off today, they were biting at 8 and still biting 6 hours later. Once shelf ice and snow isn’t an issue, I’d imagine evening fishing could be great.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#416 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 12:57:31 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
First stream I stopped at east of RC was not active but I figured my day would start slow, arriving as I did at 8:00 AM. Got 3 small browns that started at about 9 inches and got progressively dinkier. Laugh

Had a few short strikes too.

Went one valley to the west and the spot I wanted to fish had a car and then the backup plan spot had one too. Everybody comes out when the weather is good.

Fished a stretch above the little "town" that I hadn't hit before and it's a really nice looking area - will have to go back when conditions are better. Only got 1 bite and was happily surprised to pull out a 14 inch brookie from a corner pool against a cliff face.

Closer inspection revealed that she was a hatchery brood. Bummer but still a pretty fish and didn't have the mutant, Bubba Gump lower jaw.

Headed north of RC and hit a small stream that winds back and forth under the highway. Started in the far upper section hoping to at least find active fish and I did. Lots and lots of little active fish. A couple of brookies and a few browns and a whole bunch of short striking fish.

This became the story of the day - short strikers.

Decided I wasn't gonna find that one nice fish amongst the dinks and headed a couple of miles downstream hoping that the active fish would continue and the size structure would increase.

I could have had 40 if they weren't short striking. I've this happen before but not in these numbers. Many were 12-14 inchers too as I could see them dart out, nip at it and fade away.

I actually got a couple that I watched chasing my lure and I set it right when they tried to short strike - no snags... got em in their mouths.

Usually, trout get hooked on spinners when they hit and I just have to firm set the hook. Not today. Tug! Tug! Gone...

All told ended up with around 15 fish on the day landed.

Freaking gorgeous out there (if windy) and I was along a lot of cliff faces that joined the water.

Very cool.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 2:05:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#417 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 1:19:51 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Despite the melting, conditions were great here in Western WI this past weekend. Water temperatures warmed to low 40s on most streams in the area. It looks likes we have another shit kicking snow storm on the way so I expect less than ideal conditions to return and probably a return to winter and back to some colder water I was out Sunday with my buddy Matt and we had good action.

About midway through, I had the characteristic sign of a better fish - drag peel.

UserPostedImage

A few pulls later this pig came into view!

UserPostedImage

A big bodied brown at about 17.9999999" was handled nicely at the net by Matt, high 5s ensued. I would guess this fish was 3.5#s. Even early, this fish had a giant head and belly. He looked in excellent health.

UserPostedImage

I do not get many pics of myself. Matt shot this one, I am almost as handsome as the male brown! Hahaha!!

Happy Fishing!!!

Please join me in having old man winter kiss our collectives assess. SO ready for spring. R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/5/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#418 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 1:49:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
So... a 17 incher.

Flapper

Beautiful fish. He could have eaten half of the fish I got yesterday in one sitting. Laugh

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#419 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 5:37:14 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I tried to stretch him, but no go, a 17"er. Hahaha
mmalyuk  
#420 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 6:25:22 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Fun stuff Ron! That early/mid morning freezing rain was interesting...