Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<4950515253>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#501 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 2:18:04 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Made it over 2 whole hours Laugh in the yak before I abandoned it and hit a trout stream below the lake I was on. Got a few northerns but none were big although one of them went on a few runs.

Water was much better on the stream than I expected and the rain we got has really improved things.

Water was nicely stained and running about normal.

The only stream that i saw that looks high is the Sugar, but it always stays high long after everything else has settled down.

Ran into a party of 3 generations out fishing the stretch I was on. They sorta high holed me but they didn't know I was where I was - pretty wooded and I didn't even see them till I was about 30 feet from them - and it's their tradition to fish that spot every opening day as the 83 yo has been fishing there forever.

I chatted em up a bit and moved to another spot and was happy to. Cool to see them all out together and I fish so much that my slice of a day is irrelevant compared to what they were doing.

Best part is that the gramps pulled a 17 out of the best hole where I had hit earlier and pulled a 12 out of. Laugh

I tip my hat. Wink

Edited by user Sunday, May 6, 2018 2:19:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 5/7/2018(UTC)
big_river_bum  
#502 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:16:17 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
bill!!!!

do you have any links for a decent rainfall totals map? i used to use that one you would link here where you could zoom in really close and choose like 1-day, 2 day, 3 day totals. i think it was an noaa site, but i can't find anything similar or that site anymore

thanks

tried pm'ing you, but inbox is full
William Schlafer  
#503 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:39:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
bill!!!!

do you have any links for a decent rainfall totals map? i used to use that one you would link here where you could zoom in really close and choose like 1-day, 2 day, 3 day totals. i think it was an noaa site, but i can't find anything similar or that site anymore

thanks

Yo!

There's this NWS Advanced Hydrological Prediction website which is pretty nerdy and has just tons of info/data. You may be able to ferret out what you need from there.

I did have a link to the La Crosse NWS office which had some really useful 24-72 hour maps of measured precipitation - but of course that link is now broken. Let me see if I can find something similar when I get home and I'll post it here.

It was always good this time of year to see which areas got more rain than others so you could try and predict which streams would be fishable before you head out.

-Bill

PS: I don't think the message box feature is working, my inbox is empty. I think Mark has his guy looking into it.

Edited by user Monday, May 7, 2018 5:41:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
JGF  
#504 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 6:48:53 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
bill!!!!

thanks

Yo!

There's this NWS Advanced Hydrological Prediction website which is pretty nerdy and has just tons of info/data. You may be able to ferret out what you need from there.

I did have a link to the La Crosse NWS office which had some really useful 24-72 hour maps of measured precipitation - but of course that link is now broken. Let me see if I can find something similar when I get home and I'll post it here.

It was always good this time of year to see which areas got more rain than others so you could try and predict which streams would be fishable before you head out.

-Bill

PS: I don't think the message box feature is working, my inbox is empty. I think Mark has his guy looking into it.

That site's as good as anything I've seen.

A couple of other good ones are:

Wisconsin State Climatology Office's Climate Watch: http://www.aos.wisc.edu/%7Esco/clim-watch/index.html
Resolution isn't great but it's a decent ballpark guesstimate.

WunderMap by Weather Underground is basically a network of amateur weather observers. Resolution can be pretty good - but depends upon how many weather stations are around the area. https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Can also look at historical data on WU site to find more recent precip totals.

National Weather Service in La Crosse (also Madison, Green Bay, etc.) is a good follow on Facebook and other social media. Looking like we're in for a wet week: https://www.facebook.com/NWSLaCrosse/

William Schlafer  
#505 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 10:47:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Well... there used to be a cumulative precipitation map at the NWS called Wisconsin Meteorological Analysis. You could check rainfall amounts over a selectable 1-7 day range. The map was updated daily and you could zoom in where you could see rainfall amounts from almost one valley to another. That site was great for seeing exactly what streams that big overnight rainstorm affected, and which ones it passed over. It was real handy - so naturally they took the site down.

iWeathernet has a decent scaleable map with 1-6 hour, 24, 48 & 72 hour totals. Not as exact as the old NWS map, but a reasonable substitute. For some reason the page wouldn't load properly on my work PC, but seems to work OK on my home laptop.

Edit: you may need to hit the browser refresh button to get the map to display properly if you change the map scale or the time period.

AgWeb has rainfall maps, but they're too small to see what's going on locally.

Intellicast has a map with better resolution, but you can only select current or weekly rainfall totals.

There also was a NOAA site where you could build your own map from their massive weather database to show whatever you wanted. It's the tool local TV and newspaper weather forecasters used for years to produce graphics specific to their location. That got monetized into a pay service I think.

I got an email out to a weather geek friend of mine who may know of some better links and will post them if I hear anything back.

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, May 7, 2018 11:03:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added edit

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#506 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:17:10 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

thanks so much guys!

maybe the one i was thinking of was the nws site. i remember you could click between different days to see the cumulative amounts over a week
big_river_bum  
#507 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:13:23 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

i worked my butt off wed through sat. then moved my sister all day sunday and must've tired myself stupid.

didn't realize we got over 4 inches of rain Blink

i know it poured thursday(i think) and friday night we got a ton of heat lightning.

western vernon streams got obliterated......again Mad
big_river_bum  
#508 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:25:58 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

combined with the rough terrain and terrible land use practices western vernon county streams are being decimated. i don't have the long term experience to say if it's worse now than say 20 years ago, but this can't be good. it's one thing for holes to change or fill in over time. another for boulder fields to appear overnight. so much of these streams are being widened out. i guess more oxygen could be in the water, but i have to imagine this will warm the streams up. plus with so much rock and constant wash outs plant matter is never allowed to grow so there's very little cover for fish

much of the ridges around me are bare grass with cattle everywhere. roads wash out yearly. pits on either sides of roads are common and one road i was on today the farmer plowed to within a foot of the gravel road. everything just washes straight down the hills

last week this was all water with sand substrate with a decent hole at the top
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
the main flow of water in this hole has moved 100 yards in the last three years
UserPostedImage
the road along this stretch was closed for like a year. they fixed it and channeled the stream so it at least had some depth. all gone since they fixed it last year
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
a big bow in the stream got cut off last year. beaches filling in all around the new shorter route of the stream
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
weiliwen  
#509 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 1:59:50 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Interesting weekend for me. I didn't realize it was the meat fishing season opener, and by the time I got to the water Sunday morning, it was pretty crowded. I thought it was amazing that some rivers were crystal clear, some like chocolate milk. i wandered around and found a stream I'd never fished, that was about perfect - not too clear, not too muddy. I drove down a small road to the bridge that looks over the stream. Further on, I saw a guy standing by his truck so I walked up to him and asked him if he owned the land. "No," he said, "But that guy mowing his lawn does. I work for him. He doesn't let folks stand on his land, although he can't do anything if they're in the water." I went back to my car, but when I got there I saw the owner had finished mowing, so I went back. I shot the bull with both of them for a half hour and he let me walk his land! I think the other guy was surprised he did that, but I sure didn't complain. I only got some 4" brookies until I was a half mile from my car upstream, when I started getting some ok sized browns, but the old man said a couple of guys had been there the day before and caught a limit each.

Then I wandered north, to a particularly well-known stream, and noticed that a particularly popular DNR parking lot was empty at 4PM, so I thought "What the Hell," and pulled in. The pullout is where a smaller creek goes into this bigger stream, and it was like this pictures of the Blue Nile going into the White Nile - the little stream was much clearer and you could see the two going down stream side by side in the same stream bed for quite a ways. I fished both but had most luck on the dirtier main stream, and surprisingly caught 5 or 6 nice browns and had a ton more short strikes. The short strikes seemed to be a theme this weekend.

This morning, I got up, had breakfast at Bordens, then headed east. My favorite stretch was empty, but also empty of fish. Very very puzzling. I had two small ones on for a short while right at the beginning, and that was all. At the bottom of the section is a nice big pool, but nothing. There's a small section with a nice undercut that's usually good for a nice brown, but nothing.

Frustrated, I decided to go home. On the way, I was generally headed north and east toward the Dells (well, toward I-90, but I usually hit it at the Dells). Not far along I drove alongside a wide valley with a meandering stream and again turned down a side road to a bridge to look at it more closely. A lady drove by and I asked her who owned the land. A friend, she said, and took down my number, saying she was visiting that friend and would let me know if the friend didn't want me there. No call, so good for me.

Sort of narrow, and I bet that in the summer when the grasses grow tall I bet it's impossible to fish. It was still tough though. Virtually every inch on both sides is undercut, with mats of grass roots hanging into the water. If I put the fly in the middle, nothing. If I was too far to one side, a lost fly in the grass roots; if I put it within a couple inches of the grass roots, a trout might pop out from under them and grab the fly, then squirt back under. It was very challenging, but actually pretty fun. I caught a couple decent sized browns, but had a couple much bigger ones pop out and back in without taking the fly. Big enough to have my heart jump into my throat.

Overall, though I cannot say the fishing was red hot. I should have gotten out earlier today, since the crowds were gone, but Saturday early morning I drove from Chicagoland to Ames Iowa to pick up my son, then to the Tenkara Fest in Coon Valley, and then I fished all Sunday, got a little more sun on the arms than I should have, and also fell hard slipping on the mud (time to replace my felt wading boots with lug soles). But I tried two new streams, met a landowner, and of course enjoyed getting out where the only sound is the water and birds. Can't beat that.

Oh yeah - I dropped by the Driftless Angler and got some of those Skinny Hippie flies Trapper mentioned. Very nice. Also got myself a gnome T-shirt and a couple other things; I usually try to drop some dough there each time I come up there to help them stay solvent. I doubt my bit is too much, but I like to think it helps a bit.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:03:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#510 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:12:47 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I was afraid of that when I saw the rain totals from the storm.

A couple weeks ago you could still see evidence of damage on Coon Creek right in town from the Hwy 14 bridge from the flood in 2016. Maybe a few of the ones that got stream bank armoring work done recently will fared a little better. I've noticed the streams where they shaved the high banks down so the flood water can wash over the meanders, instead of cutting into the banks and eroding the soil away, seem to do better in these events.

My brother in Richland Center said there was lots of hail damage around town. His house will need re-shingling.

Mother Nature can be a real bitch.

-Bill