Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

55 Pages«<5152535455>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#521 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:57:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
There are more Black Bears around than ever. As long as they haven't developed a taste for human garbage, they're pretty harmless if you leave the alone. My brother says a bear can smell and hear you coming for miles and will go out of it's way to avoid human contact - unless it's sick or feels overly threatened. I've heard of sightings this year around Baraboo and Reedsburg.

A couple years back a Mountain Lion paid a visit to Milwaukee. Everyone went nuts, but they never found it. Of course, social media had a lot of fun with it showing photos of the lion at Summerfest riding the Sky Glider, lounging at the Art Museum, taking in a Brewers game in the Uecker seats and lapping up some cream puffs at State Fair.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:00:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: video blocked

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#522 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:15:16 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
There are more Black Bears around than ever. As long as they haven't developed a taste for human garbage, they're pretty harmless if you leave the alone. My brother says a bear can smell and hear you coming for miles and will go out of it's way to avoid human contact - unless it's sick or feels overly threatened. I've heard of sightings this year around Baraboo and Reedsburg.

A couple years back a Mountain Lion paid a visit to Milwaukee. Everyone went nuts, but they never found it. Of course, social media had a lot of fun with it showing photos of the lion at Summerfest riding the Sky Glider, lounging at the Art Museum, taking in a Brewers game in the Uecker seats and lapping up some cream puffs at State Fair.

-Bill

i saw bear prints in the snow above jersey valley lake this winter

someone should photoshop a bear getting breakfast at the rod and gun Flapper
big_river_bum  
#523 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:24:34 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

went out at noon today. cloudy, good water color, no wind. hoping for epic hatch of something. ran into an older couple at the spot i planned to fish. talked to them for a while and gave the guy a midge emerger to try. said he was seeing risers, but not seeing any bugs. told him to tie it 12 to 18" behind an indicator dry fly. went upstream

there were definitely risers, but not much hatching. a few big white mayflys and craneflies out and about. caught about a dozen on a sulphur or pale morning dun(i don't know the difference lol)

this guy was quite the fight on my 2wt. by then i'd switched to a small bugger.

UserPostedImage

anybody know what in the hell this is? a neon green something inside the fishes fins. i kept this fish so i was poking it with my knife and it was inside the fins

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:50:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#524 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:17:32 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

...as i headed back to the stream i heard this animal about 100 yards to my east. sounded just like a whining baby. waaaaaaah......waaaaaaah....waaaaaaah for a few minutes.

i searched online and closest sound i could match it to was a bobcat. could've just been some farm/feral cats getting busy too though

Check out this video of a couple of Lynx squaring off in Canada. (sorry, I can't get the video to embed properly)

https://www.youtube.com/...inue=2&v=eaXmIPHrHmY

I bet it was a couple of Bobcats doing the same thing.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:24:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: video won't embed

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
JGF  
#525 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:23:18 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The green color in the fin looks like a VIE mark (Visible Implant Elastomer) - basically an invert polymer used to mark fish and some other animals. They can be used for batch markings (i.e. give all fish from one area the same tag) or individual marks if you use different colors, locations, etc.

https://www.nmt.us/visible-implant-elastomer/
big_river_bum  
#526 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:43:01 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: JGF Go to Quoted Post
The green color in the fin looks like a VIE mark (Visible Implant Elastomer) - basically an invert polymer used to mark fish and some other animals. They can be used for batch markings (i.e. give all fish from one area the same tag) or individual marks if you use different colors, locations, etc.

https://www.nmt.us/visible-implant-elastomer/

that's kind of what i was thinking it was. didn't realize they did that to trout. i was able to pull some out with the knife tip and it pretty much acted like a polymer. i'm pretty certain i even know what feeder stream they put these into the trout. i hope it's non toxic cuz i ate the s%*t out of that trout. was great
big_river_bum  
#527 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:47:11 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

...as i headed back to the stream i heard this animal about 100 yards to my east. sounded just like a whining baby. waaaaaaah......waaaaaaah....waaaaaaah for a few minutes.

i searched online and closest sound i could match it to was a bobcat. could've just been some farm/feral cats getting busy too though

Check out this video of a couple of Lynx squaring off in Canada. (sorry, I can't get the video to embed properly)

https://www.youtube.com/...inue=2&v=eaXmIPHrHmY

I bet it was a couple of Bobcats doing the same thing.

-Bill

that's the closest i've heard yet in terms of tone and timbre. it wasn't as "aggressive" sounding as these two cats. i wouldn't be surprised for a bobcat to be in this area. valley with few roads, no farms, isolated.....followed wolf tracks there a few winters ago
shebs  
#528 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:07:39 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Whoa that's super weird. Reminds me of the quill like tags they put into MN north shore stocker rainbows so they can verify which river a given fish was stocked into. I wonder who is keeping track of that fish?
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
JGF  
#529 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:26:34 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Whoa that's super weird. Reminds me of the quill like tags they put into MN north shore stocker rainbows so they can verify which river a given fish was stocked into. I wonder who is keeping track of that fish?

I know that the WDNR was doing some research on movement associated with beaver dams. They don't affect movement much but the ponds generally held larger fish, FWIW.

They've clipped the adipose fins of some "wild stocked" trout as well to see how well they contribute compared to wild fish in at least an area stream or 2.

BR Bum, the stuff is perfectly safe - no effect on the fish or you. There really isn't much of it put into a fish. Used it before, a dime sized dab will mark a hundred plus fish.
big_river_bum  
#530 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:16:34 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Let's be honest. I was probably afraid of a big bad baby deer lol