Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

57 Pages«<54555657>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#551 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 4:52:49 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
There goes my four day fishing trip I had planned for next week.

Coon Valley has had more than it's share of misery over the last 15 years. Seems like every five years or so they get whacked. Hope everyone is safe and the recovery is quick. Going to be another rough year for the area farmers.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#552 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:27:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I made a few calls about Driftless Area fishing conditions.

Obviously Vernon, Monroe, La Crosse counties and parts of SE Minnesota and NE Iowa should be avoided for the near future. Road crews and emergency personnel are working the area to evacuate people, inspect bridges and repair damaged roadways. A number of roads are closed due to standing water or damage. More rain is moving into the same area for later today and tonight. This area will take awhile to recover. Be sensitive to what the folks living there are going through when you do return to the area to fish.

South of the Wisconsin River I'm told there are some fishable streams, some are muddied up a bit or with higher than normal levels. But this area is also forecast to receive another inch or so or rain tonight, so conditions may change quickly. The lakes and low lying areas around the isthmus of Madison are still under flood watch and should also be avoided.

There is at least of few days of dry weather coming later this week, which should help improve conditions outside of the hardest hit areas. Chance of more rain returns over the weekend. Watch out for soft roadside shoulders or damage to roadways if you're out and about this holiday weekend.

48 Hour Rainfall:
UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
JGF  
#553 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 6:55:51 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

Coon Valley has had more than it's share of misery over the last 15 years. Seems like every five years or so they get whacked. Hope everyone is safe and the recovery is quick. Going to be another rough year for the area farmers.

-Bill

Coon Valley had a huge flood last summer (July - it cancelled TroutFest). Last year's was the largest recorded flood for many areas. This one looks quite a bit worse.

In your other post, I certainly think South of the river will be fishable. Some streams north of it and south of Viroqua probably will be fishable too. Though that depends upon what they get today.

Be careful out there!

Gurth  
#554 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:04:50 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JGF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

Coon Valley had a huge flood last summer (July - it cancelled TroutFest). Last year's was the largest recorded flood for many areas. This one looks quite a bit worse.

In your other post, I certainly think South of the river will be fishable. Some streams north of it and south of Viroqua probably will be fishable too. Though that depends upon what they get today.

Be careful out there!

Shhh!!!

Kidding, but yes, south of the river will be fine this weekend unless something crazy happens today.

C-Rock wasn't even silted on Saturday when I stopped by, so those streams have room to absorb some rain.

Even the watersheds on the north side of the Wisco that drain to it other than far east by the Dells will likely (but not surely) be okay.

I'm likely yak fishing this weekend if I can find an interesting place to go.

Hoping to go trouting Thursday night local.

Best to all who live in the affected areas. I can empathize.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:05:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#555 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:16:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Some photos from the La Crosse Tribune:

Coon Creek at hwy 14 bridge in Coon Valley
UserPostedImage

Coon Creek at the Village of Chaseburg
UserPostedImage

A drone photo looking up Coon Creek/Timber Coulee towards Snowflake Ski Hill
UserPostedImage

A drone photo looking down Coon Creek/Timber Coulee towards the village of Coon Valley
UserPostedImage

More photos and videos here.

Yet another devastating flood for this community. The Kickapoo River near Ontario and many of it's tributaries east and west of there are flooded also.

-Bill
Gurth  
#556 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:34:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Baraboo River flooded and water moving down the Shed.

Also the Pine (Richland Co) shed up by Viola etc and moving down.

Good week to go after bass, etc.

Unless you are in the far northern or southern Driftless.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
draik11  
#557 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:55:15 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
To second what Bill said about Ontario. A close friend of mine has a house in town and he sent me a picture taken yesterday. The kickapoo has flooded most of downtown Ontario. It looks like the Milk Jug has water nearly to the roof and water has gotten all the way past the Cenex gas station. I hope everyone in the driftless can bounce back after this.
William Schlafer  
#558 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:32:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The extended forecast is not promising:

UserPostedImage

-Bill
William Schlafer  
#559 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:24:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The flooding in SW Wisconsin and SE Minnesota has damaged many roadways and bridges. Travel in that area is not recommend at this time. Stay out and let the recovery crews do their jobs. Needless to say, it will be awhile before fishing is possible on many of the local Trout streams.

Notable road closures include Hwy 131 between Rockton and Ontario and also north of Readstown. The roadway at those spots has suffered considerable damage and it will be awhile before repairs are possible. Further south along the Kickapoo River Hwy 131 Steuben to Soldiers Grove is closed due to high water. Also Hwy 171 near Mount Sterling and Hwy 179 near Eastman.

The bridge at Hwy 14 in Coon Valley is open. However two bridges on Hwy 14 near Black Earth are damaged and will have to be replaced. These will be long term closures. Bypasses around both closures are open.

Hwy 162 and Hwy 35 have temporary closures or flagmen working while debris is removed. Hwy 82 and 56 near La Farge and Viola, and Hwy 33 near Cashton are closed due to water on the roadway.

Flood conditions persist along the Kickapoo River, Baraboo River, Pine River and Coon Creek communities with more rain is forecast for this weekend and though next week.

There are likely many other washouts or damaged secondary roads and bridges in the area. Rock and mudslides are possible in areas where the soil has been weakened due to heavy rains. Roadways may have debris or mud on them for some time. Shoulders along roadways may be soft or weakened. Use extreme caution when you return to these areas to fish and be sensitive to the losses the people here have suffered.

Please consider donations to the Red Cross or other suitable charities serving the area.

UserPostedImage

https://511wi.gov/#:Alerts

-Bill
draik11  
#560 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 3:24:08 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPQMreAZDw

Jersey Valley dam recently broke. This is pretty bad.