Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<7778798081>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#781 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 5:35:28 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
met up with my cousin yesterday morning to take him trout fishing for the first time. the stream we met at had a good stain. got him 6 fish at the first spot on a silver spinner. he caught a 16" fish further downstream. i made a comment on how the sun was supposed to be out and 5 minutes later it came out and he never caught another fish

every single stream i drove over from dane county to vernon was chocolate milk
rschmidt  
#782 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:15:18 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Well, things are in deluge mode here after yesterday. I did manage to BBQ 4 racks ribs in the rain, in the garage. They were good. Shebs and I got out Sunday for some decent quality brookies.

And since Bill mentioned...

First fish of the day was a 14.5" fatty.
UserPostedImage

While the numbers were a bit down, many quality fish 12 to 15" were present. This 13.5" was a beauty.
UserPostedImage

Side profile!
UserPostedImage

And last, a solid 15". This fish came after 5 to 10 minutes of timber dink and dunking!!
UserPostedImage

Unfortunately, I had washed my headband and the result was my usual camera angle was a bit askew. Most to hand pics were partially or totally out of the frame. I also accidentally selected loop mode which overwrites sequentially. Missed Shebs on a short tangle with what appeared to be the biggest brookie of the day. Also had another cpl 13-14"ers between us that did not get filmed properly.

Happy Fishing!
NBrevitz  
#783 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:48:29 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
My buddy lost a giant Brown up north on Sunday. Fish was all of 8 lbs... Tangled around his boots and he was gone.

Big stuff up north is running high and stained, but fishable. Dunn County was fine on Sunday before this last shot of rain.

Namekagon is still waaaaay too high.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
big_river_bum  
#784 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:34:12 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

got out of work early yesterday. ran some errands then snuck out fishing for 90 minutes in the middle of the day. water was crystal clear, sun high, nothing but flys buzzing around(1st time this year i've seen them along the stream)

tied on a cranefly and started at the bottom of an easement

this guy hit at the bottom of that sand bar where the water turns green. caught 4 or 5 here including a few picked off from behind on top of the sandbar in 6inches of water. cool to watch them see the fly, react, and move water as they go for it.
UserPostedImage

this one hit at the top left of the picture and ran straight downstream under the cross stream log so i had to take off running upstream. these fish put a strain on the 2wt
UserPostedImage

best fish of the day. i was casting to the far bank and pulling my cranefly back across the current quickly just in front of that stump/brush. he bolted out from under it once and missed. i cast again and did the same swiping motion and he came back out and got stuck on my hook
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

this was fish number 20 caught between 12:30 and 2pm. called it a day and went home to grill

UserPostedImage

it was almost like hopper fishing. the fish were going kamikazee at the dry fly. i lost 2 cranefly just at the hookset because they were slamming it so hard i probably didn't really need to set the hook so much
big_river_bum  
#785 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:36:39 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

the bigger streams around viroqua are clearing nicely, but the ground is very waterlogged so any rain will go straight into the streams
William Schlafer  
#786 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:15:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
A little twitch or movement of a Cranefly will drive Trout to strike. I had a great day fishing larger Cranefly patterns a couple years ago. If they didn't strike at the surface, I would pull the fly underwater and start stripping. That would draw the bigger Trout out of hiding most of the time. As Big River Bum mentioned, just like hopper fishing.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#787 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 2:46:32 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

well, another 20 fish outing

went out after work and arrived at my spot at 7. still had a cranefly on from yesterday and lost a BIG fish under a bridge. proceed to catch a few on it upstream

UserPostedImage

started seeing sulphur females laying eggs on the water. tied one on and caught a few more

UserPostedImage

this guy was feeding right in front of those rocks before the bigger cascade. caught 3 or so here all within 15 feet of where i was standing

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

then the fish started hitting smaller mayfly duns on the surface. pale evening duns? tied on about a size 18 comparadun and got a half dozen

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

then they stopped hitting my fly so i tied on a traditional catskill "p.e.d" and caught fish until dark

UserPostedImage

once again these fish are fighting so hard, especially on the 2wt. a half dozen put on an arial show getting like 2 feet of air
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/31/2019(UTC)
big_river_bum  
#788 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 2:52:49 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

muggy out. forgot my contacts and glasses wouldn't stop fogging up. this little stream had a slight stain. the bigger stuff around was well stained.

if anyone is tired of my blurry pics of tiny fish just tell me to knock it off lol
Gurth  
#789 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 2:54:31 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

once again these fish are fighting so hard, especially on the 2wt. a half dozen put on an arial show getting like 2 feet of air

Hot take... browns are more fun than brookies. Don’t believe the hype.

Looks like a fun outing.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
big_river_bum  
#790 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 3:08:30 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

Hot take... browns are more fun than brookies. Don’t believe the hype.

Looks like a fun outing.

i agree. just a general observation of the local fish after the flooding last year. i know they're living high on the hog right now, but every single fish i catch is just fat as a pig and won't give up fighting til i get my hand/the net on it.

lots of fun