Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

93 Pages«<7980818283>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#801 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 1:26:31 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
I don't know what it is, but fish will turn themselves inside out trying to eat a crane fly.

I've often wondered if trout like some bugs better than others on the basis of taste. Maybe their brains are not advanced enough, because I've seen plenty of rocks and twigs in a trout's gut, but maybe crane flies just taste better.

I don't doubt that. Where trout and fire ants are found together-Texas, for example-they'll supposedly eat the ants to the point of dying. Maybe formic acid to a trout is like sugar to us.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
weiliwen on 6/6/2019(UTC)
Jumpsuit  
#802 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 10:05:39 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Great looking water and fish! One of these days, I have to make the trip across the big river into Iowa.

-Bill

Well if you ever jump across the big river, I'm happy to share some sidewalk streams. I never mind fishing around fly guys 😁

big_river_bum  
#803 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 2:22:10 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
went out sunday morning and fished about 2/3rds of 3 miles of a private section before throwing in the towel. walked a feeder up to the road and immediately realized i left my keys back where i entered the stream. the car was a mile up the road. keys 2 miles back. wet hip boots after accidentally going over. i'm walking down the road and a pickup drives by. stick my thumb out with a stupid "i'm an idiot smile." guy laughs and keeps driving. luckily, a few minutes later a utv drives by and takes pity on my sorry as walking down the road in socks in the hot midday sun. guy drives me back for my keys then back up to my vehicle. i kept insisting to pay him or drop some beer off. he refused. i think i'll still drop a 6er of for him

water was perfect. lots of nice runs and riffles. started off on with a pmd or cranefly. can't remember. picking a few fish off on every run

UserPostedImage

as the sun rose they wanted caddis. lots of caddis

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

i was whipped and didn't fish again until tonight
big_river_bum  
#804 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 2:30:08 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

went out tonight after work. weighed my options all day worrying about what the water would be like after the storms the other night. picked a spot i hadn't fished yet and lo and behold the water was perfect

i got in the water at 6:45. fish rising immediately. no... boiling. ended up with maybe a dozen fish. this was the biggest one

UserPostedImage

i left the water in frustration at 8:30. never waded past the 1st pool. i couldn't continue watching fish rise so constantly and only catch one every 10 minutes or so. i think if i'd of had a soft hackle i could've caught a hundred fish. i'd have fish hit at my fly, but clearly be way below it as there was never any hook contact

my other theory is that they were eating about a size 20 pale evening dun spinner. as i walked back there was dead mayfly everywhere. i saw some bugs in the air, but nothing to justify such a long consistent feed. if they were eating the spinners they all fell onto the water before i got there. i think i tried every fly in my box lol there was a couple caddis pupae i tried to that aren't pictured...and a creme griffiths gnat that fell apart

UserPostedImage
madguy30  
#805 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 11:24:03 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Made a drive up to the Black River yesterday north of the state forest. One bit of advice: if anyone camps at the East Fork Black River Campground in the Black River State Forest, camp on the river side, because the other side, where my site was, butts up to a SWAMP, haha. Lesson learned to remember to check the satellite photos, but otherwise it was a nice campground.

Decided to swing down to the Viola area today. Streams were in good shape and the fish were active, and so were the gnats. Was maybe in the water for 45 minutes and got chased off. Think I caught more fish in that time span than many hours on the Black River, but the BR was a bit more enjoyable wade, haha.
rschmidt  
#806 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 12:02:02 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Well, no sign of any fall back steelhead in the north woods. The water was barely fish able still. Had to go upstream to find water decent enough to fish!

Sasquatch managed this nice brown at the in bridge. 18"
UserPostedImage

We had a skunk the next morning, but I moved on to some upstream sections in the north.

A nice resident rainbow here 15.5"
UserPostedImage

A couple of fat bowns.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The bite was in summer form. Take a look at these tiny fishing hitting giant 1/2oz.spinners.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Good to hang w/Sasquatch and Mike. Spring steelhead season is officially over!

Happy Fishing!
big_river_bum  
#807 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:30:12 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

The lower coon creek area around stoddard, chaseburg, coon valley just got over 2 inches of rain in about and hour
big_river_bum  
#808 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:31:45 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

A cell popped up in front of the front moving in from the west and it just sat on top of us and downpoured for 90 minutes

This area got hit hard bad last August/september
big_river_bum  
#809 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:36:41 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Zoom into wisconsin on this map. I'm in stoddard right now and just southeast of town got over 4 inches of rain in the last 90 minutes

https://www.iweathernet....map-24-hours-to-72-hours
William Schlafer  
#810 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:58:46 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
Zoom into wisconsin on this map. I'm in stoddard right now and just southeast of town got over 4 inches of rain in the last 90 minutes

That's the last thing folks in that area need after the last couple years of flooding.

I was really hoping for a quiet summer for the DA. I drove though the upper part of Vernon county yesterday on the way back to Milwaukee. Damage from last summers flood was still obvious. Brush Creek along Hwy 33 was really hard hit. Although, there were lots of bike riders, canoe/kayakers and campers about, which is good for local economy.

All this rain is bad news also for the states downstream along the Mississippi River.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos