Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

93 Pages«<8283848586>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#831 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:13:17 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, does anyone know how the streams are around the St. Croix river?

It’s a huge river with tons of tribs. What county?
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#832 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:29:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Muddy and high streams everywhere I looked today around Richland and Sauk counties (Wisconsin).
UserPostedImage

I did finally find some fishable water: see my "Damn The Weeds!" post in Fishing Stories. All of the bigger streams and rivers where running chocolate milk. Most of SW Wisco has seen 1 - 4 inches of rain in the last 72 hours. The ground is saturated and it will take a couple more dry days to bring even the smaller streams back to normal. Unfortunately there's scattered thunderstorms forecast for the area for the next four days. These might hit one valley hard, but completely miss the next one over. So you might need to do a bit or driving to find clearing streams.

As Smis mentioned, the gnats and mosquitoes weren't bad at all, even under solid cloudy skies with no wind. I did get a horse fly bite on my cheek though.

Hatch-wise there were clouds of Midges coming off the water everywhere and a small black fly of some sort. Didn't really see any rising Trout in the stained water. Although I did score the first Trout of the season on a hopper pattern. There where lots of little brown hoppers in the grass. A little warm and dry weather should get the Trout keying on them in the coming weeks. I also saw lots of Dragon Flies buzzing around the water. A large foam Cranefly pattern can double as a Dragon Fly and could be effective in certain situations.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:30:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added photo

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#833 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:55:19 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I've had thoughts of trout fishing tomorrow AM and so far my target area has been mostly spared by this evening's rainfall.

Might just go for a float instead.

One way or another though, I'll be fishing in the morning.

Nice brookie Bill. I know what you went through to get him. Chances are the past few hours have made that place a million times more accessible.

Might be worth a look on Sunday or so.

Edited by user Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:55:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 7/4/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#834 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 2:38:24 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Chances are the past few hours have made that place a million times more accessible. Might be worth a look on Sunday or so.

That was my thought too. A little localized flood to knock those nasty weeds down and a guy has a fighting chance to get in there.

Kinda hate to come back to the same place three times in a couple weeks, but it might be the only fishable stream around there for awhile. Looks like that storm that sat on Richland/Sauk has now moved down through Iowa and Dane counties. Was hoping to hit that area Friday/Saturday but this might wipe that out.

Was really hoping we would have a dry year for a change. These big rain and flood events are becoming the new norm.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#835 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2019 1:03:10 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Was over in Grant at my buddy's farmette for 4th festivities yesterday and ended up going down by the Blue. Couldn't resist a few casts by a bridge.

Water levels were about normal, but the vis was essentially zero in the chocolate water.

Was around 6:30Pm and was still a sauna down in the valley and I was insta-sweat. Gnats were nowhere near as bad as a month prior when I was in the area although there were still plenty around.

Cast for maybe 10 minutes and did hook up with one little one who jumped a few times and spit the hook.

I'll be back in 6-8 weeks.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#836 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2019 6:34:13 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Drove around Dane and Iowa counties for several hours this morning and could not find fishable streams. Lots of standing water in the ditches and low spots. Area got several inches overnight. A good day to stay in and watch baseball I guess.

-Bill
Hoggies  
#837 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 3:28:01 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I was at whitewater state park for a picnic. Didn't fish but the river (middle branch) was blown all the way up to crow spring on Olmsted county road 9.
madguy30  
#838 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 2:38:10 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Drove around Dane and Iowa counties for several hours this morning and could not find fishable streams. Lots of standing water in the ditches and low spots. Area got several inches overnight. A good day to stay in and watch baseball I guess.

-Bill

That's been the whole summer for me so far for the most part.

Looks like the rivers won't get to normal fishable levels.
William Schlafer  
#839 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 4:02:17 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The upside of all this rain is that it replenishes the aquifers that feed spring creeks for the foreseeable future, and will help keep water temperatures cooler. Although a couple weeks of dry weather would certainly be welcome right now. NOAA's medium-range prediction is for average rainfall and slightly below average temperatures for the next 3 months.

-Bill
Jumpsuit  
#840 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 5:19:52 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I don't know how accurate this map is, but I like using it to gauge where to go for trips . Looks like some counties in NE Iowa got missed this last week, hopefully I'll make a trip up tommorow morning and report back .

https://www.iweathernet....map-24-hours-to-72-hours