Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<8788899091>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#881 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 4:03:14 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Beautiful looking fish Ron!
William Schlafer  
#882 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 9:16:34 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Nice! Tigers are so cool. Wish they were more common.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#883 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 9:54:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I visited four streams in Dane and Iowa (WI) counties this morning before I found one that was fishable. NWS says the area got .50 - 1.25 inches on Friday, but I found the streams to still be high and muddy. The ground must still be saturated from rains earlier last week. There was standing water in ditches and low spots, adding to the runoff.
UserPostedImage

Just a beautiful day to be out and about. Blue sky and white clouds. A comfortable 68 degrees and a nice refreshing breeze. The air seems to have lost a bit of that excessive humidity we've had for the last couple weeks, making it much nicer to be outside.
UserPostedImage

After a bit of driving I finally found a creek that was stained, but clear enough to try. The Trout didn't seem interested in streamers of nymphs, so I switched to hoppers to see if maybe they would look up, and....

Boom.
UserPostedImage

A nice quality fish to start the day. I caught a similar size one shortly after this one, but he flopped away before I could get a pic. The hopper bite wasn't particularly strong, but when one did strike it was a solid hookup. Shady spots were definitely more productive than in the full sun. Later this week should be better as thing dry up a bit. I saw lots of Grasshoppers jumping around the grass.

Netted about a dozen overall in a couple hours. Glad I found some good water and caught a few.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Welcome to the jungle (cue Axel Rose).
UserPostedImage

Yeah. I'm not going in there. RollEyes

And a couple of nice cold Grumpy beers at the Grumpy Troll in Mount Horeb. Nice way to end the day.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2019 9:54:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 7/23/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#884 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:37:14 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Nice browns Bill!

R
Gurth  
#885 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:48:09 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
The nice weather and breeze got me thinking trout again for the first time in a bit, so went to a couple of streams west of home.

My how things have changed since my last time out on June 1st.

The rains we've gotten haven't been enough to clear the canopy, but the water was at good volume and had a nice stain. Fought the canopy for a bit and managed an average brown but the fish weren't active enough to stay and trudge through that crap.

Went a bit downstream to a pasture section and the fishing was still slow despite what seemed like ideal conditions.

Caught 6 small to average browns.

Was really fun to be on a stream again, but I'll probably shelve trout fishing for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Got my July trout though, so am still on pace to get one every month.

For those curious... there were some hoppers around - green and maybe an inch long. Even watched one that landed on the water, but nothing hit it.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:51:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#886 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:31:03 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
The nice weather and breeze got me thinking trout again for the first time in a bit, so went to a couple of streams west of home.

You're a better man than me, John. I took one look at that jungle, and decided against wading into it.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#887 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:52:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

You're a better man than me, John. I took one look at that jungle, and decided against wading into it.

Sometimes you need to do what others wont for something special to happen.

Yesterday was not one of those times. Laugh

It was thick and that's no lie. I know that stream really well though and know which areas would still likely be castable and hold nice fish.

Found the castable spots, but not the fish.

At least I was able to stay clear of the parsnip although I almost tripped headfirst into some at one point.

Back to the yak for me!
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#888 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:07:45 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

You really need to pick your spots carefully this time of year. When you get on the wrong side of 60, pastures start looking pretty good on a warm day. As Gurth mentioned it helps to know the stream well if you have to go through the thick stuff. Skip over the less productive stretches and concentrate on the good spots.

The in-stream weeds are big obstacle to deal with. That's why I stick with hoppers and other foam patterns during the summer. Easier to fish over or around that stuff. Most times, casting to those narrow open channels can be very productive. Trout love to tuck under the weed line and then dart up to grab a quick meal. You just need to be quick with the hookset and turn them up over the weeds. Once they get buried underneath that stuff, you probably won't be able to drag them out.

-Bill

William Schlafer  
#889 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:13:27 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Got my July trout though, so am still on pace to get one every month.

That's a nice bucket list goal! Maybe this year I'll jump across the big river into Iowa and see if I can catch me some November/December Trout.

I have a golfing buddy who can brag that he's played golf every month of the year - in Wisconsin. January is cold, but man you get a lot of roll with your drives on that frozen ground!

-Bill
big_river_bum  
#890 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 12:40:38 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
so here's a question that's been bugging me. hoping to hear people's thoughts on the answer, if there is one

with all the rain we've been getting the last few years, streams are running high because of increased groundwater discharge. this is good because it means more cold water for the fish during summer. cold water makes it further downstream, increasing trout water miles supposedly

BUT

i've noticed a lot of streams that flow into bigger warmer rivers have decreased/no current on their lower reaches because of the high water on the bigger stream. looks like frog water it's so still. i haven't, but should stop and take temps.

do you guys think the sustained high water on bigger streams is decreasing trout water on the lower ends of feeders? would the warmer water seep up the trout stream or is the colder water just being held back?