Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

104 Pages«<96979899100>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#971 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 2:35:06 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Twas the night before Troutmas and all through the house...

I was getting drunk. Flapper

Good luck out there everyone!

Stream conditions down in these parts should be ideal for January.

7:00 till maybe 10:30 is all I get. Need to make the most of it!
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#972 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 2:58:05 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Twas the night before Troutmas and all through the house...

I was getting drunk. Flapper

Hey, me too! ThumpUp

But only because I won't be heading out tomorrow. Well, not the only reason. But it's Friday and why not? Starting to look like it will be February or early March before I'll have my first chance this season. Sure looking forward to the days when I can fish when I want, not when I can.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Post pictures and stream reports!

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#973 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 2:06:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Started Saturday on the ice. Had enough gills by noon and the bite was shutting off so decided to head to a nearby trout stream in R County for the remainder of my fishing time.

Water looked really good but the ditches and gullies were running.

Had 4 or 5 short strikes in an hour of fishing and no hookups.

Didn’t bother Sunday morning and got stuff done around the house instead.

This coming weekend looks much better.
Pete  
#974 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 4:30:01 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I was in the southwest suburbs of Chicago yesterday on a matter unrelated to fishing. But I packed a rod because I was going to be right near a creek that is known to produce some smallmouths, at least during warmer months. Levels were fine: the creek was mostly clear and all the snow was gone that far south; warmer temps didn't cause any cold runoff. I didn't hook any fish and didn't see anyone else do so either. It's a nice enough stream with a lot of rocky areas and woody cover. It probably is productive for smallmouths, but I have better water closer to home; I'll certainly pack a rod if I'm going to be in the area again, but won't make a special trip. By the way, I know we have some members from that area; I was on Hickory Creek, pretty far upstream.
Gurth  
#975 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 6:07:13 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I have a hard time finding smallies this time of year, even in rivers where I catch them during warmer months.

Have no idea where they go.

Cast a few times in a spring pond that was open yesterday and caught a largie, much to my surprise.

Fish are weird.
Pete  
#976 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 6:44:52 PM(UTC)
Pete

I have a hard time finding smallies this time of year, even in rivers where I catch them during warmer months.

Me too.

I wasn't optimistic headed out yesterday. It was just that the ice around here isn't safe enough for ice fishing; I'm not desperate enough to go to a warm water discharge to fish for carp yet (that will probably take another week or two). Walking and casting on a smallmouth stream seemed like a good enough option for my mental health.
NBrevitz  
#977 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 8:06:43 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post

Me too.

I wasn't optimistic headed out yesterday. It was just that the ice around here isn't safe enough for ice fishing; I'm not desperate enough to go to a warm water discharge to fish for carp yet (that will probably take another week or two). Walking and casting on a smallmouth stream seemed like a good enough option for my mental health.

Take a road trip man, there’s very good ice up here and we’ll probably make 3 inches this week on top of it. You’d only have to get up to Petenwell or so to be very safe walking wise.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Pete on 2/3/2020(UTC)
Gurth  
#978 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 8:26:12 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Petenwell?

We have good ice right here in Madison and on the Wisco sloughs.

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Pete on 2/3/2020(UTC)
Colorado to MN  
#979 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 8:51:48 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Saturday was an amazing day of fishing. I fished a section of a Pierce County stream I had been scouting on google maps earlier this winter. I started fishing around 9:30, and within the first fifteen minutes I had hooked 5 fish. Nothing big, maybe 12"-14", but they sure were feisty. It's common thinking during winter fly fishing for everyone to fish "low and slow" in deeper pools, but I like to challenge fish tactics until I'm proved wrong. I caught all my fish in riffles on midge nymphs. I find winter trout occupy lots of same stream structure as spring fish. Just take the time to read a riffle, find the seams and buckets and dead drift your rig right through the sweet spots.

After catching around 20 fish, I figured I'd give streamers a try. The trout definitely preferred slower streamer presentations, but were eager on the take. I missed a really nice 20" fish at a tail out. After that I headed to a really shallow and gentle riffle, no deeper that 12". After a few drifts through with a sculpin pattern, a huge trout nailed it, about 24 inches. It's amazing how the biggest trout are frequently in the overlooked / underfished / shallowest sections of the stream. After that hog, I called it a day. This next weekend looks promising and can't wait to get out again.
Pete  
#980 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 8:51:52 PM(UTC)
Pete

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post

Me too.

Take a road trip man, there’s very good ice up here and we’ll probably make 3 inches this week on top of it. You’d only have to get up to Petenwell or so to be very safe walking wise.

Although memories of it are spotty because of so much time elapsed, I cut my fishing teeth in that area as a toddler and young boy: my great uncle had property up there and I spent my share of time, including fishing at Petenwell. It is one of my favorite parts of the state.

I've got an open water cure for cabin fever coming up soon: a work day-actually a work half day-in Rock County. The work will be followed by some fishing for brook trout on the property. I'm curious to see how their spawning went and how they did this Winter.